amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone in the interior has accomplished the first freeze now. ORH did it too this morning after a few 33s recently. Now its BOS metro w'ere waiting on. PVD had their first freeze too yesterday morning.

Is "freeze" (as in freeze warning) mean dipping below 32.0?  If so, I have it.  If it actually means freezing the ground--or at least a killing frost, that was a fail last night here.  Either way, I can say I've got the monkey off my back wrt to actual temp reading.

Yeah BOS may be able to freeze on Tuesday night.

Yet, BOX is so ho-hum about temps.  In fact,, they have me cooler on Monday night than Tuesday night.

33.8/31

Is "freeze" (as in freeze warning) mean dipping below 32.0?  If so, I have it.  If it actually means freezing the ground--or at least a killing frost, that was a fail last night here.  Either way, I can say I've got the monkey off my back wrt to actual temp reading.

Yet, BOX is so ho-hum about temps.  In fact,, they have me cooler on Monday night than Tuesday night.

33.8/31

Meteorologically the first freeze is any time at 32F or colder. Some offices use "hard freeze" wording and that usually means the temp dropped below 28F.

So eerily 2002esque this year. Flip in the last part of October, guidance with a torch in November that gets crimped wth a return to a chillier pattern. EPO ftmfw.

I may be wrong, but I believe the Winter pattern locked in, the last week of Nov. 2002. Artic blast that week.

Meteorologically the first freeze is any time at 32F or colder. Some offices use "hard freeze" wording and that usually means the temp dropped below 28F.

Thanks for the clarification.  To play with semantics, I will also say that in spite of a "freeze" but not a "hard freeze", I have yet to have a "killing frost".  Our cool down was too short-lived to do more than ice up the top side of leaves and grass.

meanwhile looks like winds will crank out here this afternoon...soundings are DA to 800 mb...35 to 40 mph gusts by late day.

Yeah--you guys should have some nice breezes down there.  Up to 11mph here so far at my siting.

Raking FTL.

Rake with the wind, ftw.

38.2/32

I'm on pace for my least windiest month since I moved here in 2006...not just October, but ANY month.

I'M Baaaaaackkk! It has been Flat out cold here in RI and Boston the past few days and I'm Loving it. Been watching the models here and there and nice to see Snow on the radar over the NE. Nice shot of Stowe. Dendrite - How does one measure amounts of wind per day? Dumb question I'm sure lol.

I'M Baaaaaackkk! It has been Flat out cold here in RI and Boston the past few days and I'm Loving it. Been watching the models here and there and nice to see Snow on the radar over the NE. Nice shot of Stowe. Dendrite - How does one measure amounts of wind per day? Dumb question I'm sure lol.

My anemometer. ;)

My Davis software archives over 1 minute intervals and in the monthly summary the avg wind is calculated.

Oh there was a mention of it from our office in the UK and I thought you saw it. We have to go international now in order to find any interesting wx.

How pathetic that the only NB weather for the last few months as been in Japan and the UK. The sting jet research is pretty fascinating.

Archived