joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

39 here this morning, and some rain (or snow) would be nice. While technically the growing season continues here, I doubt much is growing with the relatively short days.

some stuff will just keep on chugging until they are really beaten down. just ask scooter what his neighbor's flower bed looked like in dec 2011

Oh I'm not even looking at it from a Dec point of view..lol. My concern was/is lower heights developing near AK. For now, it was borderline if that would happen.....but at least the ridge is trying to fight back..possibly from the help of MJO activity.

Yea a little too early for december... I'd say the warm signals outweight colder ones here, but the pacific is not an all out torch signal by any means at least... I'm not sure if it means anything for the winter yet, but i suppose its a better sign for new england if we start seeing the Aleutian high signal and it take on a more poleward look

Yeah that's a good change from two days ago. Pellets for Tolland.

Probably 33F and rain. I mean we're riding on the edge... definitely possible that the storm track is hundreds of miles too far northwest but we'll see. Looks like the cold relaxes and we go above normal for a few days next week (barring that storm sliding south) and then possibly a bit more chill beyond that with an active wx pattern.

As the weenies say though... when in drought go drought. Maybe we won't see any precip at all!

Probably 33F and rain. I mean we're riding on the edge... definitely possible that the storm track is hundreds of miles too far northwest but we'll see. Looks like the cold relaxes and we go above normal for a few days next week (barring that storm sliding south) and then possibly a bit more chill beyond that with an active wx pattern.

As the weenies say though... when in drought go drought. Maybe we won't see any precip at all!

Damaging drought continues. At least it will turn active it appears. I do like seeing the Aleutian ridge......it's not a classic -EPO but it helps us.

Yeah. Hopefully it's a little more poleward, but I'll take that over a 2011 death star sitting in the Bering Sea any day.

Yeah and again I'm not saying the aleutian high is bad...New England wants to see that and hopefully this is a sign of things to come with HM's poleward aleutian high/+QBO/cooler enso theory. I'm just questioning its worth as far as the ~nov 5-20th period is concerned

Yeah and again I'm not saying the aleutian high is bad...New England wants to see that and hopefully this is a sign of things to come with HM's poleward aleutian high/+QBO/cooler enso theory. I'm just questioning its worth as far as the ~nov 5-20th period is concerned

You mean it's worth for a period like Dec-Feb? Eh, probably not that much. IMHO I've seen some winter patterns try to set in November so I certainly think it's not a bad thing to see models hold off on any Bering Sea type low. I will say that in general a colder November usually is a good signal for that period, so we certainly don't want it to torch. With ENSO being weak, we will likely be at the mercy of things like MJO forcing and the ongoings of the stratosphere, so the forecasts are certainly more prone to swings. But call me happy if on the 11/30, we continue to see ridging in that area on the ensembles. Call be delighted if it's a true -EPO... :lol:

You mean it's worth for a period like Dec-Feb? Eh, probably not that much. IMHO I've seen some winter patterns try to set in November so I certainly think it's not a bad thing to see models hold off on any Bering Sea type low. I will say that in general a colder November usually is a good signal for that period, so we certainly don't want it to torch. With ENSO being weak, we will likely be at the mercy of things like MJO forcing and the ongoings of the stratosphere, so the forecasts are certainly more prone to swings. But call me happy if on the 11/30, we continue to see ridging in that area on the ensembles. Call be delighted if it's a true -EPO... :lol:

To clarify, I meant its worth as far as whether it means a colder pattern in the mid-novy period i outlined. 

To clarify, I meant its worth as far as whether it means a colder pattern in the mid-novy period i outlined. 

Oh ok. Well yeah if the front is 200 miles north it won't mean much here. Probably still means warmth south of NYC too. I honestly don't care too much as far as temps go, I care more about the H5 evolution and I would much rather see a development in heights rising there vs heights lowering. I guess that's what I'm referring to.

I was just looking through some climo for the deep south and there's some impressive cold down there for this time of year.... the frost and freeze climo down there is as much as a month early in some spots.  I saw the Birmingham, AL office says they will issue Frost/Freeze products until November 28th but some areas have already had a frost/freeze on the 21st apparently. 

Looks like they just missed earliest frost/freeze records down there in Alabama, but only by like 4-7 days if they freeze tonight.

The departures down there must be pretty large.

march is no longer a winter month?

I'm impressed with the cold obs locally today, Ginxy. 

Still upper 30s at the 1:50pm obs in the area...

MPV stuck at 37F in the middle of the afternoon without precipitation falling is impressing me.  There's a bunch of -15F daytime highs in progress east of the Green Mountain Spine in north/central VT. 

Unfortunately the low temps this morning were at normal or even a tick above (lol)... the last 6 hour max/min at MVL is 39/37 with almost no diurnal change, but these temps in mid afternoon is pretty cold for October 25th, especially considering there's no precip falling.  39/24 at MVL and 37/26 for MPV at 2pm.  A pure snow column right there.

Archived