joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeesh, the GFS really pulls the warmth back.  That right there is a tropical connection if I've ever seen one.  gfsUS_sfc_prec_180.gif

Quite a gradient there, too.  Blustery, torrential rain-y day on the GFS 180h.

Verbatim that's not even that warm... you'd probably lock in some cool northerly drain with the warm front struggling north through SNE.

Verbatim that's not even that warm... you'd probably lock in some cool northerly drain with the warm front struggling north through SNE.

In December that's a 6" snow thump followed by drizzle as the triple point slips S and the thing clears under the occlusion    :P

In December that's a 6" snow thump followed by drizzle as the triple point slips S and the thing clears under the occlusion    :P

Yeah with that pressure pattern, that looks like a putrid 45-50F type rainstorm.

Oh, the pain.  Not a fun storm any time of year.  Better than nothing, I suppose, given we need the rain...

20F DPs on modestly gusty winds at 50F    ...  Feels like November out there.  MJO appears to be strengthening in the GFS ensembles -- the mean taking into solid moderate wave strength, in Phase 8/1     Meanwhile, we are recurving two significant doses of west Pac LH, and I was looping the Pac oper. GFS and noting the deposition of this latency into the NE Pac ridging, and wondering if that is all being handled correctly...  Then the operational Euro, you can tell it's trying to lock more cold into the Canadian shield compared to the last couple of cycle.   I really think the warm up in the extended is going to come in more muted.  Could be wrong, we'll see...

ensplume_full.gif

Warmer than now though, right?  The 0C line barely reaches into any parts of the lower 48, though I'm sure mountains and such would be that cold.  

Anyway, any ideas about what is causing the significant difference between the GFS and the GGEM/Euro for the HP cold outbreak?  Does it have to do with the strength of the HP?

Warmer than now though, right?  The 0C line barely reaches into any parts of the lower 48, though I'm sure mountains and such would be that cold.  

Anyway, any ideas about what is causing the significant difference between the GFS and the GGEM/Euro for the HP cold outbreak?  Does it have to do with the strength of the HP?

Not necessarily...it's mostly U40s and L50s today. That prog is probably a nasty, wet U30s-M40s over the interior north of the WF. Of course that's the GFS in lalaland.

When dealing with warm fronts this time of year sometimes you have to pay extra attention.  In that setup which is modeled, there is probably a good chance the sfc warm front would get hungup somewhere over the region as Ryan pointed out.  However, while 850 temps may warm, that may not necessarily translate to warmer sfc.  The 850 warm front may blow through but the sfc warm front may not...so the low-levels warm but the sfc does not follow.

Some snow pics for folks... I'm so jealous of my friends up there right now, lol.  I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully to enjoy some more snow from the clipper up there.

RT 108 on the Stowe/Cambridge line in Smugglers Notch...

1378097_10202509421443594_729308758_n.jp

Base of Stowe Mountain Resort...1500ft

999079_10202509410883330_1490810209_n.jp

Some snow pics for folks... I'm so jealous of my friends up there right now, lol.  I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully to enjoy some more snow from the clipper up there.

RT 108 on the Stowe/Cambridge line in Smugglers Notch...

1378097_10202509421443594_729308758_n.jp

Base of Stowe Mountain Resort...1500ft

999079_10202509410883330_1490810209_n.jp

Waiting on a picnic table obs. or pic  :snowing:

Waiting on a picnic table obs. or pic  :snowing:

I'll be up there this weekend ;)

3" of snow depth at the 4:30pm Mansfield Co-Op report but some heavy squalls have moved through since then.  Maybe 4-6" by morning above 3,000ft if this keeps up? 

I just left NYC to head back north...my phone has been lighting up all day with photos from friends and co-workers... interesting that the trees are still primarily green and full in Central Park, while its now full-on winter back at the office. 

Sweet evening update in the BTV AFD from an AMWX member...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 AM FRIDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 616 PM EDT THURSDAY...UPDATE THIS EVENING TO INCREASE

POPS/QPF/SNOW AMOUNTS ASSOCIATED WITH FIRST MINOR UPSLOPE EVENT

OF THE SEASON CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS. MOISTURE PLUME EVIDENT ON

WATER VAPOR LOOP ADVECTING INTO THE REGION BETWEEN NOW AND 03Z

SHOULD ALLOW FOR UPSLOPE PRECIPITATION TO CONTINUE. CURRENT

FORECAST SOUNDINGS AND FROUDE NUMBERS GREATER THAN ONE SUGGESTING

THAT MOST PRECIPITATION SO FAR THIS EVENING HAS OCCURRED FROM THE

SPINE OF THE MOUNTAINS AND EAST...AND THIS IS CONFIRMED BY LOCAL

OBSERVATIONS AS WELL AS 1.5 DEGREE KCXX RADAR SCAN. ACCUMULATIONS

SO FAR HAVE BEEN FROM NOTHING IN THE VALLEYS TO AROUND A HALF INCH

AT 1500 FEET TO 2.5 INCHES ON MOUNT MANSFIELD AT JUST UNDER 4000

FEET. BY 03Z...WINDS TURN MORE NORTHWESTERLY AND FROUDE NUMBERS

LOWER...SUGGESTING THAT FLOW BECOMES MORE BLOCKED ALLOWING FOR

PRECIPITATION TO BACK UP ON THE WESTERN SLOPES...HOWEVER MOISTURE

WILL BE DECREASING BY THAT TIME...SO RAIN/SNOW WILL BE TAPERING

OFF. MOUNT MANSFIELD REGIONAL MESONET OBS SHOW FREEZING LEVEL IS

AROUND 2500 FEET BUT IS EXPECTED TO LOWER TO AROUND 1500 FEET BY

MIDNIGHT. THUS WHILE SNOW MAY MIX IN WITH THE RAIN IN THE

VALLEYS...ANY ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL LIKELY REMAIN IN THE HIGHER

TERRAIN. LOOKING AT TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS FROM THIS AFTERNOON INTO

TONIGHT FROM A COATING- HALF INCH OF SNOW ABOVE 1000 FEET...AROUND

AN INCH AT 1500-2000 FEET...TO SEVERAL INCHES ON TOP OF MOUNT

MANSFIELD...MAINLY ON ELEVATED AND GRASSY SURFACES. ROAD SURFACES

SHOULD REMAIN WET...HOWEVER AS SUN SETS AND TEMPERATURES

DROP...PATCHY BLACK ICE MAY FORM IN A FEW LOCATIONS...SO DRIVE

CAUTIOUSLY. OTHERWISE...EXPECTING A MAINLY CLOUDY NIGHT WITH LOWS

FROM 25 TO 35 DEGREES.

I'll be up there this weekend ;)

3" on the ground at the 4:30pm Mansfield Co-Op report but some heavy squalls have moved through since then. Maybe 4-6" by morning above 3,000ft if this keeps up?

I just left NYC to head back north...my phone has been lighting up all day with photos from friends and co-workers... interesting that the trees are still primarily green and full in Central Park, while its now full-on winter back at the office.

still not impressed? -6 BVT today

still not impressed? -6 BVT today

Impressed with the magnitude of cold...  Honestly should we be impressed about -6F?  Thurs/Fri was supposed to be the peak of the cold and I'm seeing -6 BTV & ORH, -4 BDL and -1 at BOS today.  It seems pretty run of the mill cold shot for this time of year, unless I'm missing something, but any below normal departures are a huge step, lol.   But its still awesome and I've been stoked all day long just because of reports of snow. 

And as awesome as the first snow of the season is on the mountains, its probably right on schedule in the last third of October from 1,500ft and above.  I am impressed with how today's event panned out though... didn't see that coming but I don't think anyone really forecast accumulating snow today. 

Impressed with the magnitude of cold...  Honestly should we be impressed about -6F?

No. To put it in perspective, at BDL this month, there have already been 8 days of 6+ above normal of which half of those were double digits above normal. Mid-50s by day and mid-30s by night might be impressive in late October at PHL or DCA, but not BDL.

Impressed with the magnitude of cold... Honestly should we be impressed about -6F? Thurs/Fri was supposed to be the peak of the cold and I'm seeing -6 BTV & ORH, -4 BDL and -1 at BOS today. It seems pretty run of the mill cold shot for this time of year, unless I'm missing something, but any below normal departures are a huge step, lol. But its still awesome and I've been stoked all day long just because of reports of snow.

And as awesome as the first snow of the season is on the mountains, its probably right on schedule in the last third of October from 1,500ft and above. I am impressed with how today's event panned out though... didn't see that coming but I don't think anyone really forecast accumulating snow today.

snow is impressive at Mansfield ASOUT

Impressed with the magnitude of cold... Honestly should we be impressed about -6F? Thurs/Fri was supposed to be the peak of the cold and I'm seeing -6 BTV & ORH, -4 BDL and -1 at BOS today. It seems pretty run of the mill cold shot for this time of year, unless I'm missing something, but any below normal departures are a huge step, lol. But its still awesome and I've been stoked all day long just because of reports of snow.

And as awesome as the first snow of the season is on the mountains, its probably right on schedule in the last third of October from 1,500ft and above. I am impressed with how today's event panned out though... didn't see that coming but I don't think anyone really forecast accumulating snow today.

Best anomalies south.AWT.

Archived