joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the models bring the AK vortex back in November and December?

Well lets see how many recurving typhoons we can get to sustain the current pattern. There is a nice post in the general wx pattern thread that shows the wave propogation of teleconnectors (how recurving typhoon sets up aleutian low and western north american ridge and down stream eastern trough)

More or less... it won't be quite as direct of an impact as the ET of Francisco which is driving the Rossby Wave Train amplification, but the poleward -PV advection from the outflow of Lekima should only further enhance the polar jet. Both the ECMWF and GFS as a result show a reloading of the cold in the day 5-7 period across the Midwest as the wave packet resulting from this jet streak amplification swings into North America.

I've made a quick animation below that shows the propagation of this wave packet. If you notice, the energy doesn't move at the phase velocity (the speed of individual rossby waves). Instead the wave packet created by the jet amplification due to WPAC TCs travels at the group velocity (which is double the phase velocity), and this serves to amplify individual rossby waves along the waveguide.

Thus, ET just off the coast of Japan tends to reinforce a pattern that favors trough amplification and surface cyclogenesis in the Aleutian islands, subsequent ridgebuilding over far western North America, and finally general troughing over the eastern US. Of course the magnitude of individual events varies, but you can see now how recurving Typhoons have a direct teleconnection to our weather downstream.

wave_packet.gif

Imo anything beyond 30 days is a guess wrt long range the vast majority of times, sure its a educated guess but i havent seen many accurate LR forecasts (in SNE) perhaps if EVERY single indicator is looking positive or negative.

Pretty torched in the low levels, but it does cool at the end...maybe the hills end as some snow on the NAM.

I don't really believe the model though at this point. Its more amplified than most guidance...and the fast compressed flow leads me to think the SE solutions are more correct.

Yeah, I went over this NAM run a while ago and although it looks tasty from the 50,000 foot synoptic appeal, details have that the lower critical thickness as way too warm for snow in the lower elevations and the coastal plain.  The front slips by and there is only very weak CAA in the low levels.  Almost a calm fropa.

Maybe in the distant interior ...Wachusett highlands/ridge lines for example ... there may be some wet flakes in the tail end of the NAM solution, and in fact there probably would be.  But getting the NAM solution to verify is ..well, perhaps a challenge in its self.  

Burned on that last night up here. Mid shift had 40s going for much of the areas just inland from the coast. Car thermometer was reading 32-34 for most of my drive up to the WFO.

We were 49-50F at 11pm at MVL with wind and orographic clouds, and BTV forecast upper 30s. When I went to bed I was thinking we wouldn't hit those forecast mins.

Then I woke up 7 hours later to 33F and frost. The bottom dropped out after midnight.hard forecast when temps are stagnant from 6-11pm.

Notice how as the pattern is trying to break down on the GEFS, all those El Nino years are disappearing from the analogs. (1976, 2002, 2009 all gone..still have 1972 at the bottom and 1965 is a new one in there)

500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

Looks more +PNA/+EPO as opposed to the -PNA/-EPO

NAM is complete nonsense. 500mb doesn't even come close to resembling that surface depiction. That sheared out s/w at h54 would probably spin something up farther offshore IMO.

The NAM has a documented NW bias over the longer term verification.  However, there are some unique situations where that bias helps.  Case in point, Dec 2005.  There are others, as well.  Not sure if this is one of those situations, but I don't see really how the solutions of the day are at odds with the track of the v-max aloft.  q- v forcing should be pretty good near the right entrance region of that jet core, and that's pretty close to collocated with where the NAM has it's closed circulation. 

The NAM is actually good when there are very compact horizontal thermal gradients and steep frontal slopes aloft ... inside of 48 hours.  It also is parameterized with convective sequencing that is very good for initialization in the summer months (not relevant here). 

Otherwise, the model has a poor verification score beyond 36 to 48 hours.

What stands out for me is what I was discussing with Will earlier in the day;  if you look at the intervals leading up the "ana" -like blossoming, the actual llv CAA is weak.  It leaves the lowest critical thickness pretty deep.  On the FRH grid, BOS has moderate rain in roughly 43F, then cools back to about 36 as it's shutting down.  Typically for that, it's snowing at 2,000 ft, and probably would be on these NAM solutions along the Wachusett highlands/extending up to the Monads.  But the lower els and CP regions would be primarily cold rain with perhaps cat's paws in the last couple of hours.  

Of course, that is relative/relevant of the NAM's depiction ... getting them to succeed, well that's a different story.  

As an afterthought,  I once spoke about this with Walter Drag a long time ago; typical rule of thumb is that a v-max translation 1.5 degree latitude S of the S Coast usually places a frontogenic sig through the mid levels near the Mass Pike.   Combining that with total 500mb thickness crash into the upper 530dm, and the QPF layout, it may be an attempt to dynamically flip ORH-FIT-ASH-MHT.  

The CMC model is not too dissimilar to the NAM off the 12z run, fwiw - personally I think it would be a riot if the NAM won and spanked the Euro on this one.   

Not much change to the euro ensembles. Still very cold in Canada down towards Labrador. The flow in the Pacific flattens out pretty good but heights still sort of neutral with weak ridging in western Canada.  The result is a near normal to perhaps a hair below in the 11-15 day. I definitely would like to see heights stay as they are....if those lower then we run the risk of furnacing. 

The weeklies still have a monster +NAO, but just enough ridging into the Aleutians to keep it near normal in week 4 here at the surface. Canada is frigid.

Not much change to the euro ensembles. Still very cold in Canada down towards Labrador. The flow in the Pacific flattens out pretty good but heights still sort of neutral with weak ridging in western Canada.  The result is a near normal to perhaps a hair below in the 11-15 day. I definitely would like to see heights stay as they are....if those lower then we run the risk of furnacing. 

The weeklies still have a monster +NAO, but just enough ridging into the Aleutians to keep it near normal in week 4 here at the surface. Canada is frigid.

That is is very encouraging!

Still waiting for that first below normal day this month at BTV. We've had one at MVL about ten days ago....but hopefully we can string a few in a row before it warms up.

Last week on the models I was thinking that this past weekend and Monday might be below normal but it wasn't even close with +3 to +8 occurring.

BTV saying normal to even above normal again by as early as next Sun/Mon. Before that though I bet we can enjoy a few -4 to -8 type days, which seems paltry compared to the +4 to +7.5 that most NE stations are so far this month...but it's the small battles and warning shots of colder air that'll make this week sweet.

AFD....

"Below normal temperatures are expected Thursday through Saturday with highs mainly in the 40s with 30s in the mountains. Lows will generally range from the middle 20s to middle 30s. Temperatures warm to around or a bit above normal for Sunday and Monday. && "

Seems to be a little clipper type system on some progs for next weekend...18z GFS has it coming Saturday night. Although the temps are incredibly marginal (0C to -3C across pretty much all of New England at 850mb), and precip is very light, it is occurring at night so maybe that's a shot at some weenie flakes for the higher elevations?

I wish the gradient with this cold shot was going to be steeper...there's one point at like 90 hours out where its -1C at H85 over Atlanta while NNE is only like -6C. That's waaaayyy below normal for the south but not nearly as much up north. In mid-winter when the 0C freezing line at H85 gets so far south to the Gulf Coast states, NNE will be like -20C, lol.

Anyway, here's the clipper next weekend. May be close at the hill tops.

Seems to be a little clipper type system on some progs for next weekend...18z GFS has it coming Saturday night. Although the temps are incredibly marginal (0C to -3C across pretty much all of New England at 850mb), and precip is very light, it is occurring at night so maybe that's a shot at some weenie flakes for the higher elevations?

I wish the gradient with this cold shot was going to be steeper...there's one point at like 90 hours out where its -1C at H85 over Atlanta while NNE is only like -6C. That's waaaayyy below normal for the south but not nearly as much up north. In mid-winter when the 0C freezing line at H85 gets so far south to the Gulf Coast states, NNE will be like -20C, lol.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Been watching that on the models the last few days, Euro has it as well, Mtns would definitely see flakes i think with that

image.jpg

That can happen with deep troughs though. The cold plunges due south sometimes and then

moderates a bit when it moves east. It's not rare for ATL to be colder than BOS sometimes. They also are at a thousand feet.

Archived