• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
North Indian Ocean Cyclone season 2013

Yeah, I assume the Katrina references are more about the current intensity and potential severity of impact. Unfortunately could end up a whole lot worse, but hopefully the evacuations have been successful and the loss of life can be minimized as much as possible.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T-numbers are beginning to drop from both NOAA and CIMSS. Not that it really matters at this point.

ERC underway. You can see about 3 hot towers orbiting the new eyewall in the visible. Probably won't become dominant before landfall, but it definitely means a larger area of 75+ winds and probably lower maximum sustained winds.

Edit2: TRMM clears up any doubt that a new eye is trying to form to the wsw of the old one.

20131012.0208.trmm.x.tmi_85v.02BPHAILIN.

Umm.  Looks pretty damn populated.

This could end up really really bad.

Will the higher elevation help prevent some wind damage or make it worse?

Probably worse wind damage further inland where the terrain is higher. The flow of winds around the Cyclone will be forced up against the higher terrain. Flash flooding, rock/mud slides will no doubt be common.

trying to get a latest radar out of India. and their servers must not be prepared for the load coming from mets around the world as well as the people there in India itself.

have to admit, it would be nice if they had a point and click map to go off of, so I'm not guessing on radar sites (the one from earlier i think is out of range of the center of the storm now).

On NDTV, a reporter in Gopalpur was just interviewing several fishermen who are still trying to get their boats secured. The storm is about 2 hours from landfall there, the town is beginning to flood, no one can stand up straight, and the reporter and all these people are on the beach worried about these boats. And NDTV is still reporting the storm surge will be 3 meters.

On NDTV, a reporter in Gopalpur was just interviewing several fishermen who are still trying to get their boats secured. The storm is about 2 hours from landfall there, the town is beginning to flood, no one can stand up straight, and the reporter and all these people are on the beach worried about these boats. And NDTV is still reporting the storm surge will be 3 meters.

This is what really worried me about this storm. When we think boats in Western culture, we think recreation. For these people, a boat is their only way of eating. Their livelihood. They probably ventured out to fish because they had to. Now they are trying to save their boats. So sad. The loss of life with this storm will be very high because people cannot prepare like we can. Life or death, they have to go fishing.

well, the indian met agency has on NDTV 24x7 said the actual wind speeds at landfall near 200kph (~125mph), gusts to 235 (~145mph). not as high as it could have been, but still nasty.

"Actual" wind speeds? I find it difficult to believe that there's a working anemometer at Gopalpur.

Those winds just reflect their somewhat deflated wind speed estimates (first deflation is using 10-minute average for max sustained, second deflation is their refusal to declare the storm a Cat 5 earlier because it would embarrass themselves regarding their earlier claim it wouldn't be a super-cyclone). Of course, it's obviously weakened since the peak yesterday.

There's no recon, I find it incredibly unlikely that a valid anemometer that survives is anywhere remotely near the center, so the IMD is going to report wind speeds that validate its forecasts and estimates, with the average person never realizing that the maximum winds were never ACTUALLY measured at any point.

"Actual" wind speeds? I find it difficult to believe that there's a working anemometer at Gopalpur.

Those winds just reflect their somewhat deflated wind speed estimates (first deflation is using 10-minute average for max sustained, second deflation is their refusal to declare the storm a Cat 5 earlier because it would embarrass themselves regarding their earlier claim it wouldn't be a super-cyclone). Of course, it's obviously weakened since the peak yesterday.

There's no recon, I find it incredibly unlikely that a valid anemometer that survives is anywhere remotely near the center, so the IMD is going to report wind speeds that validate its forecasts and estimates, with the average person never realizing that the maximum winds were never ACTUALLY measured at any point.

i would like to see some better confirmation myself, just from looking at that lady reporter near the eye of the storm, who looks like she was getting blown around by more than 200kph winds.

Archived