• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
North Indian Ocean Cyclone season 2013

Well, in the 1930 image the eywall convection seems to have warmed quite a bit, but the eye itself looks to have suddenly wobbled back north - I suspect the algorithm simply doesn't have the eye in the right place.

I wonder if Phailin is contemplating attempting another ERC prior to landfall

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember sitting at home in NOLA when the NHC issued the disco that told us "may god help whoever is in the path".  I kind of feel like this is one of those situations.

Yeah, it really is scary, the size and strength of Phailin definitely reminds me of Katrina.

I'm afraid millions of people don't realize how massive the storm surge and sheer power of this will be...

Yeah, it really is scary, the size and strength of Phailin definitely reminds me of Katrina.

I'm afraid millions of people don't realize how massive the storm surge and sheer power of this will be...

The countries around the BoB have been much better in recent years about evacuating people along coastal towns when a cyclone is threatening. There will still be many, many casualties but hopefully at least the people there are aware.

The countries around the BoB have been much better in recent years about evacuating people along coastal towns when a cyclone is threatening. There will still be many, many casualties but hopefully at least the people there are aware.

Doesn't exactly help when the head of your country's meteorological agency apparently received a blow to the head recently.

Doesn't exactly help when the head of your country's meteorological agency apparently received a blow to the head recently.

So, according to this clown, even factoring in that they use a 10-minute average sustained maximum wind, as of two hours ago Phailin was in US equivalent 1-minute sustained winds a 119 kt or lower-end Cat 4.

i wonder how the media in India is handling this one... surely they're aware of the forecasts from JTWC and the discrepancy between their home agency right (in terms of wind estimates)??

The Times of India is carrying a Reuters story about the discrepancy on their front page:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Cyclone-Phailin-may-be-worse-than-Katrina-that-hit-US-in-2005/articleshow/23983892.cms

Couple of questions, any site have IKE for this, any buoy sites?

In regard to the bouy, I may be mistaken, but I think there are only two and they are way, way, way far to the south **east now.   I think set up after the 2004 tsunami.  I am regurgitating this from a depth of my brain, though, so I may be mistaken.

**I do not know how to direction.

Archived