• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central Pennsylvania Late Summer-Fall 2013

had plenty of sun at my house, but yeah once the front came through and winds picked up...holy cow was it cold outside.

i had very little sun at all. It did peek out every now and then. It was cloudy and windy all day. When i came in at around 5, i could instantly feel my wind burnt face.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sun's activity is weaker than it has been in 200 years! | Strange doings on the sun, as sunspots are down. http://on.wsj.com/1ai38Mn

Can someone explain what this really means for winter. So if it relaxes does this mean cooler then average temps. Or does this not effect the winter at all. Thanks

Looks like the western half of PA is going to see their first accumulating snowfall of the season tonight into tomorrow between the frontal precip which could end as a period of snow and the lake effect that gets ushered in behind that . The central could see come coatings to an inch here and there, esp west of I-99 while the Laurels should pick up generally 1-3". Wouldn't rule out advisory amounts in the higher ground of Cambria and Somerset either, esp Somerset County. 

Looks like the western half of PA is going to see their first accumulating snowfall of the season tonight into tomorrow between the frontal precip which could end as a period of snow and the lake effect that gets ushered in behind that . The central could see come coatings to an inch here and there, esp west of I-99 while the Laurels should pick up generally 1-3". Wouldn't rule out advisory amounts in the higher ground of Cambria and Somerset either, esp Somerset County. 

I've told people not to be surprised to wake up to a coating tomorrow and maybe a few slick spots. 

Light-moderate snow falling now with a biting NW wind.

3:15 update, officially the first accumulating snowfall of the season.

post-1507-0-29766700-1384244261_thumb.jp

4:00a - still light to moderate snow falling, accums range from nothing on the shale driveway to nearly an inch on the deck railing. Nice coating in the yard and the trees. 

Good news on the Euro Weeklies, from what I am hearing:

Week 2, near normal temps with a -wpo and a +pna, cold over the Plains

Week 3, near normal temps with a weak -epo and a weak -nao, cold centered over Lakes/OH Valley

Week 4, nice...below normal, with a -epo and a -ao.

That's really interesting stuff. Any thoughts from the experts? 

Good news on the Euro Weeklies, from what I am hearing:

Week 2, near normal temps with a -wpo and a +pna, cold over the Plains

Week 3, near normal temps with a weak -epo and a weak -nao, cold centered over Lakes/OH Valley

Week 4, nice...below normal, with a -epo and a -ao.

That's really interesting stuff. Any thoughts from the experts? 

No expert here, but my weenies eyes saw that yesterday and liked what I read.  My only caution is that the long range models are flippin like a fish outta water as only a week or so ago, it was a warmish look being discussed for late Nov./early Dec.  Getting into a better range for sure, but proceed w/ caution regarding optimism.  

Nut

as djr reported already,( we live close) my roof was covered and had dusting in the grassy areas, not on paved surfaces. As i came to work just on the other side of the susky, i saw no evidence of snow.

Must have been some decent over night wind too, the rubber covering my firewood was blown off, as was some other things in the yard!

No expert here, but my weenies eyes saw that yesterday and liked what I read.  My only caution is that the long range models are flippin like a fish outta water as only a week or so ago, it was a warmish look being discussed for late Nov./early Dec.  Getting into a better range for sure, but proceed w/ caution regarding optimism.  

Nut

I like how warm patterns keep disappearing lately. Back in October there was talk about how were supposed to be above normal for the first half of the month. By Saturday morning, as we start the second half of November, that sure won't be the case. 

I like how warm patterns keep disappearing lately. Back in October there was talk about how were supposed to be above normal for the first half of the month. By Saturday morning, as we start the second half of November, that sure won't be the case. 

Agreed.  We have seemingly dodged some warm periods and truth be told it has been a "normalish" fall (a tad on the dry side mind you), and hopefully a segway to normalish kinda winter would be nice.  Looking at Easterns progs of the both the AO and NAO trending negative has to raise an eybrow of many snowlovers.  Got me excited.  

I knew starting up the sleds on Sunday would get Mo Natures attention...:)

Nut

Agreed.  We have seemingly dodged some warm periods and truth be told it has been a "normalish" fall (a tad on the dry side mind you), and hopefully a segway to normalish kinda winter would be nice.  Looking at Easterns progs of the both the AO and NAO trending negative has to raise an eybrow of many snowlovers.  Got me excited.  

I knew starting up the sleds on Sunday would get Mo Natures attention... :)

Nut

Yeah, the only thing I'd like to see is the precip perk up.

Keep starting up the sleds...she'll get the point eventually. 

Archived