Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central Pennsylvania Late Summer-Fall 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your constant fantasy run posts are getting annoying

We like to have fun in our forum. This is what we do. If you don't like it go back to the stuffy MA one.  Might not snow, but models not torching like they were trying to earlier. Good signs. Lets build a good snowpack over southern Canada.

York seems to be the prime location for everything. 

York is a good spot for a lot of storms, especially those very wet ones which are marginal around I-95 but great once you're just a little N/W. I drove up there from Maryland in October 2011 and the 2"/hr snow was a world of a difference from the 35 degree rain back home.

FYI I moved from MD to Pine Grove PA this fall so I will be posting here mostly this season.  I went to Penn State so I am fairly familiar with PA climo but definitely have to get used to micro climate issues for my area like I was with MD and VA.  Hopefully we have an exciting year. 

Welcome to the Skook, PSU! Although you are on the opposite end of the county from me, and as such, probably have a bit of a different "climate" than we do up and over here.

I will be moving to New Salem, PA (York County) on December 31 so mark your calendars as that for the Blizzard of 2013.

Was just there Saturday. My grandmother on my mom's side is from there. Funny how they call it New Salem now and not York New Salem like they used to. My buddy Wade lives there now. It's a nice town, IMO. 

Well that escalated quickly today....

That storm the GFS has wouldn't even be marginal for central PA with how cold the temps are on that... I dunno if i'd even call it a wet snowstorm for alot of our region. The 12z Euro actually matches the GFS to a point in that it sinks the cold air mass in and has the system. But it diverges when it kind of buries the system in the southeast and we get moisture (rain) and not really a defined system eventually but the cold air has been evacuated. Bit of a weird evolution, but interesting that it does look quite like the gfs thru about 168. 

While we might actually have our first potential event to keep an eye on, I'm not going to go too crazy on it yet. This very cold air available has been nothing new on the models (mainly bottled up in Canada via the +AO), but the fact that they're trying to drop it into a good part of the US is. Teleconnection forecasts had been showing signs of an AO crash toward the end of the forecast range, but it looks very definitive on today's forecast. PNA and NAO have pretty good spread in them in that time range. Definitely indications of some kind of a change showing up.

AO

post-1507-0-54099200-1383767802_thumb.gi

NAO

post-1507-0-11551900-1383767832_thumb.gi

PNA

post-1507-0-95084000-1383767853_thumb.gi

Well, apparently The Weather Channel is preparing to give "potential" a name and will begin addressing said potential at 5:00 PM tomorrow.

This is going to be a fun few days. There's about to be a metric ****load of butthurt to flow through. "Who channels it?" That's the $64,000.00 question.

Archived