• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central Pennsylvania Late Summer-Fall 2013

The key to not whining is not having expectations. I don't I see 12" snow this year and I'm content as a clam with whatever happens (save for ice storms, I want nothing to do with ice).

mapgirl, welcome! You'll find this thread to be one of the friendliest of them all.

agreed..

this year i will be happy with just 2 - 12"+ snow events and a blizzard. :snowing:

just ban me now :P

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where in the hell did that come from? I expect these kinds of things from time to time in the GFS long range but the Euro? Drops in and cuts off a nuclear bomb of a 500mb low. Deepens it all the way to 5200m at hour 240 on the Jersey Coast. For this time of the year, that's off the charts anomalous for 500 heights. 

Reminds me a bit of the later February 2010 storm that retrograded into New England.

Where in the hell did that come from? I expect these kinds of things from time to time in the GFS long range but the Euro? Drops in and cuts off a nuclear bomb of a 500mb low. Deepens it all the way to 5200m at hour 240 on the Jersey Coast. For this time of the year, that's off the charts anomalous for 500 heights. 

GFS showed a very similar solution in the Hr 372-384 from a few days back - just sayin'

This may have already been posted, but this is pretty wild considering how dry the rest of the Northeast was during October...

A TOTAL OF 11.04 INCHES OF PRECIPITATION FOR THE MONTH MAKES OCTOBER
2013 THE WETTEST OCTOBER ON RECORD AT HARRISBURG. THE PREVIOUS WETTEST
OCTOBER WAS IN 1976 AT 9.87 INCHES.

FYI I moved from MD to Pine Grove PA this fall so I will be posting here mostly this season.  I went to Penn State so I am fairly familiar with PA climo but definitely have to get used to micro climate issues for my area like I was with MD and VA.  Hopefully we have an exciting year. 

Cool welcome aboard. More posters the better. 

GO AWAY NEW PEOPLE YOU AREN'T WANTED

just kidding. Prepare to get pissed when blizzards split the App and Atlantic uprights.

seems to run in cycles...80s and 90s were very good to PA in terms of big snow events...then 2000's on have tended to favor coastal areas more.  Not sure if/when that trend changes. 

seems to run in cycles...80s and 90s were very good to PA in terms of big snow events...then 2000's on have tended to favor coastal areas more.  Not sure if/when that trend changes. 

Hopefully this year, so us in PA (or near enough to it) can cash in :)

It looks like the Euro today has recovered from whatever hard liquor it got itself into last night. It does have a system near that day 8 timeframe, but it runs a low thru the Lower Lakes and up the St Lawrence. Basically more in line with how the pattern into mid month appears to be shaping up.

It looks like the Euro today has recovered from whatever hard liquor it got itself into last night. It does have a system near that day 8 timeframe, but it runs a low thru the Lower Lakes and up the St Lawrence. Basically more in line with how the pattern into mid month appears to be shaping up.

Looks like we just got to wait out these next 15 days, then it is looking better. 

Archived