• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central Pennsylvania Late Summer-Fall 2013

I was in Carisle for a friends wedding yesterday, aside from seeing some standing water in a couple fields here and there you wouldn't know that they ripped off 8-10+ inches of rain in two days. 

I got married in Etters this past weekend... outdoor wedding too.  Had done all the climatology research on rainfall and temperatures for Harrisburg on that date.  The traffic and rain Thursday and Friday really had us worried.  It dried up so fast early Saturday you couldnt even tell it had rained so much.  We went to Hershey Friday afternoon and the cloverleaf was having run off wash out the mud/rocks along the corners of the turns.  We left Hershey at 2:30 and didnt reach the west shore until 3:30 the way traffic was.  Wasn't at the house for nearly all of the event, just happened to need to get a few things Friday morning and found a little bit of water in the one corner of the basement.  Had 5.40" of rain in the rain guage and 1.46" when I measured on Sunday for remainder of Friday's total.  Not sure if much evaporated but there was definitely much more than 7" in the area I was, as indicated by the airport totals.  Conditions couldn't have ended up any better for Saturday.  Crazy that only Agnes had a 2 day total more than what the 10th and 11th had!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got married in Etters this past weekend... outdoor wedding too.  Had done all the climatology research on rainfall and temperatures for Harrisburg on that date.  The traffic and rain Thursday and Friday really had us worried.  It dried up so fast early Saturday you couldnt even tell it had rained so much.  We went to Hershey Friday afternoon and the cloverleaf was having run off wash out the mud/rocks along the corners of the turns.  We left Hershey at 2:30 and didnt reach the west shore until 3:30 the way traffic was.  Wasn't at the house for nearly all of the event, just happened to need to get a few things Friday morning and found a little bit of water in the one corner of the basement.  Had 5.40" of rain in the rain guage and 1.46" when I measured on Sunday for remainder of Friday's total.  Not sure if much evaporated but there was definitely much more than 7" in the area I was, as indicated by the airport totals.  Conditions couldn't have ended up any better for Saturday.  Crazy that only Agnes had a 2 day total more than what the 10th and 11th had!

Congratulations!

Glad it worked out for you with the weather. Congrats to you and the Mrs.

Congrats on the marriage! Pro tip: No matter what, the wife is always right.

It'll save countless headaches if you keep that in mind!

Congrats!

are any of my fellow gardners still harvesting? I am still getting tomatoes. and my Roma's are going ape ****. Were also getting sweet bananna peppers and Yellow/orange bells

We have a community garden plot and the only thing left are some butternut squash and beets.  The herbs were dug up and potted for winter this past weekend and judging by the American / European long range guidance...it's a good decision.

I had deer wipe out my tomatoes. Like, ate half the plants too. But I am getting new tomatoes. I think we might get a frost next Monday though, but I am hopeful I can get green tomatoes so I can freeze them and have fried green tomatoes in January. Curiously enough, my tomatillos are really rolling along. 

Other stuff is really rolling along, and not just the fall stuff. My peppers are doing well, for example. 

One thing, I consider gardening a three-season activity anyway, so I'd still be harvesting. I've harvested something, whether it's just winter onions, every month since Feb 2009. I grow a fair amount of greens that do great in autumn, such as Asian cabbages. For example, Tatsoi, which is great in salads and stir fries, can survive temps down to 15 degrees. And I keep my parsnips and salsify in the ground much of the winter, mulch them, and harvest when the ground isn't frozen. People who don't plant fall veggies are missing out on some fantastic tasting stuff, since root veggies and frost-hardy greens taste much better after a frost. 

Great to hear about your garden.  I can't wait to have a few acres of land to live off of and really work good soil into.  

I had deer wipe out my tomatoes. Like, ate half the plants too. But I am getting new tomatoes. I think we might get a frost next Monday though, but I am hopeful I can get green tomatoes so I can freeze them and have fried green tomatoes in January. Curiously enough, my tomatillos are really rolling along. 

Other stuff is really rolling along, and not just the fall stuff. My peppers are doing well, for example. 

One thing, I consider gardening a three-season activity anyway, so I'd still be harvesting. I've harvested something, whether it's just winter onions, every month since Feb 2009. I grow a fair amount of greens that do great in autumn, such as Asian cabbages. For example, Tatsoi, which is great in salads and stir fries, can survive temps down to 15 degrees. And I keep my parsnips and salsify in the ground much of the winter, mulch them, and harvest when the ground isn't frozen. People who don't plant fall veggies are missing out on some fantastic tasting stuff, since root veggies and frost-hardy greens taste much better after a frost. 

were still kind of new to gardening, but it sounds like were missing the boat with fall planting. We'll have to plan better for next year. i could have torn out the canalopes and planted something for the fall.

We have a community garden plot and the only thing left are some butternut squash and beets.  The herbs were dug up and potted for winter this past weekend and judging by the American / European long range guidance...it's a good decision.

Great to hear about your garden.  I can't wait to have a few acres of land to live off of and really work good soil into.  

Yeah, I'd love to have more room.

were still kind of new to gardening, but it sounds like were missing the boat with fall planting. We'll have to plan better for next year. i could have torn out the canalopes and planted something for the fall.

One other advantage is not as many bugs.

00z GFS shows a very wintry situation for next Wed night. The shortwave that comes in with the cold air spawns a nice Miller-B type coastal. If this was November, we'd be talking snow at least in some parts.

post-1406-0-61166400-1382017716_thumb.pn

Then again, we do have a recent history of October snow  :whistle: 

Just wishful thinking...

00z GFS shows a very wintry situation for next Wed night. The shortwave that comes in with the cold air spawns a nice Miller-B type coastal. If this was November, we'd be talking snow at least in some parts.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-17 at 9.46.09 AM.png

Then again, we do have a recent history of October snow  :whistle:

Just wishful thinking...

The longwave trough is positively tilted so a progressive, early season event like this would limit any snow potential to north of Route 6...wouldn't you agree?

The longwave trough is positively tilted so a progressive, early season event like this would limit any snow potential to north of Route 6...wouldn't you agree?

I happened to see that on the GFS last night as well. It was very close to being an interior PA snow event but temps weren't quite there until the storm really got going as it tracked off of New England. The GFS made a pretty strong Nor'easter out of this on that particular run but it's not really there on todays 12z run... which is par for the course with the range we're talking. I'd watch for some kind of an early season significant coastal storm though given the pattern we seem to be heading into with a pretty solidly negative NAO. Regardless, GFS and European are both suggesting a pattern change to more of a late fall type regime with the possibilty of flakes flying at least in the mountains by this time next week. 

Speaking of October snow... 4 years ago yesterday:

post-1507-0-90023000-1382035524_thumb.jp

post-1507-0-74930700-1382035587_thumb.jp

Anyone with OBS out of the line of gusty showers?

Looks like it is performing the Centre County split pretty nicely. Moderate rain here, don't think we will be seeing the 0.75-1" totals that were forecast earlier today. North of I-80 should manage a decent rain event though.

Archived