joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

already seeing a touch of color on my walnut trees.

My River Birch trees' leaves are already changing color and dropping off. It's not unusual though. They usually start that process in July. Not sure why they get such an early start every year. The other trees' leaves are now a darker green, signaling that Summer is now on the downswing.

I absolutely love to see the first signs of Autumn approaching. It's coming. :)

Parts of North Georgia have gotten their asses handed to them with the massive amounts of rainfall today. Major flooding ongoing with 7 north Georgia counties under flood warnings and all of the northern half of GA under a Flash Flood Watch.

Well, well....imagine that. Looks like Robert (Foothills) was right after all. Not a big surprise. Just another one of his nailed forecasts. Good job man. That is why you are among the best at forecasting our local micro-climate.

Well, well....imagine that. Looks like Robert (Foothills) was right after all. Not a big surprise. Just another one of his nailed forecasts. Good job man. That is why you are among the best at forecasting our local micro-climate.

Robert is a great forecaster but he sent out the warnings for North Georgia at 7:14am... There was already some flooding take place when the alert went out. I don't see this as the same pattern we saw in July. This seems to be Northwest flow in Georgia this time as opposed to SW. The end result seems to be the same though.

Parts of North Georgia have gotten their asses handed to them with the massive amounts of rainfall today. Major flooding ongoing with 7 north Georgia counties under flood warnings and all of the northern half of GA under a Flash Flood Watch.

Starting to wonder if we see this again tonight. PWATs still over 2" across the entire area. Pretty much a tropical climate out there right now. If we can get some surface convergence to touch off anywhere (last night over northern White Co) it could set off another round of ridiculous rain. 

Honestly, this morning reminded me every bit of the area hitting DMAX. 

0.09 today.

Lol, our NWS says our forecast area will approach heat advisory levels in the coming days. Apparently the heat advisory levels is 108+ heat index. We have been above that every day nearly this summer. We have been above that everyday in August so far. This weekend looks hot with forecast temps of 95-98. Heat index 110+.

0.09 today.

Lol, our NWS says our forecast area will approach heat advisory levels in the coming days. Apparently the heat advisory levels is 108+ heat index. We have been above that every day nearly this summer. We have been above that everyday in August so far. This weekend looks hot with forecast temps of 95-98. Heat index 110+.

Sounds hot, stfu.

0.00"

I'm planning on heading up to Beech Mtn tomorrow to ride downhill with a friend of mine. I know it's supposed to be rainy but does anyone know if the precip will be more intermittent in nature or will it just be like a constant deluge? Mud we can deal with but torrential downpours are somewhat less than ideal.

Pretty nasty out there today, DP in the mid 70's and temps in the low 90's suck. Lots of low level instability but like always no real trigger or shear to keep any storms going. Still should see some storms fire, and at least there is a breeze although it does not help much.

I am ready for lows in the 40's lol. 

2013 Versus 2012 Severe Weather Warnings Issued from NWS GSP (as of August 8th)

Flash Flood Warnings 2013 (82) vs. 2012 (19)

Tornado Warnings 2013 (47) vs. 2012 (13)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings 2013 (291) vs. 2012 (529)

Wow!!! 4:1 ratio on Flash Flood Warnings this year to last year...

What would be an average for numbers this time of year?

Wow!!! 4:1 ratio on Flash Flood Warnings this year to last year...

What would be an average for numbers this time of year?

Flash flooding is highly dependent on terrain, antecedent conditions, and deep basin run off structure so an average is hard to define with so much annual variability, but this year's mean synoptic pattern has bumped the numbers up dramatically. 

This graphic is normalized per 1000 sq mi. It's not the actual number of events. 

post-866-0-42501600-1376071315_thumb.png

Flash flooding is highly dependent on terrain, antecedent conditions, and deep basin run off structure so an average is hard to define with so much annual variability, but this year's mean synoptic pattern has bumped the numbers up dramatically. 

This graphic is normalized per 1000 sq mi. It's not the actual number of events. 

attachicon.gifflash.png

Thanks for the data...

And on cue, it's pouring rain IMBY.

Archived