joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is taken from near the top of Mtn Lyn Lowry looking towards Yellow Face with the top obscured by the cloud on the extreme right of the pic. Waterrock Knob is just to the right of that. Due to the tropical atmosphere in place-cloud watching was absolutely specatcular this last weekend there with multiple layers of clouds and rapidly changing conditions on the mountain top. One morning-there was lenticular clouds...another morning..the top of the undercast in the valley actually showed Kelvin-Helmholtz waves forms! :lmao:

Nice Mike. It is beautiful up there. Seen some crazy weather up there also. Current temp is 53 with a low of 50 degrees this morning. Had some very thick fog last night. I think that kept us from reaching the 40s. We will have another run at it tonight though.

Nice Mike. It is beautiful up there. Seen some crazy weather up there also. Current temp is 53 with a low of 50 degrees this morning. Had some very thick fog last night. I think that kept us from reaching the 40s. We will have another run at it tonight though.

I have a max/min thermometer installed up there..the highest temperature recorded in the month of July was only 73! :)

I believe it. This pattern we have been in has been something else. What was your low this morning Mike?

Don't know as I'm back at my place in Michigan currently. However, it is usually within one degree of the reporting station on Mt. Mitchell which has a station at the 6200 foot level so it probably was in the upper 40's. I'm sure the first freeze is less than a month away. Based on the vegetation there and when things bloom etc..the growing season is nearly identical to that of the interior areas of Northern Michigan. (Of course-they have already recently had a killing frost which is quite early for that location.)

So, the growing season is over for parts of northern MN and MI that just had a freeze?

Yes..for instance Leota, Michigan has had frost 2 days in a row. (See diagram from MesoWest for this morning.)

Take a look at this Plant Hardiness Map for Michigan which is basically about the same as the growing season map to see the areas that generally get frost first. Leota isn't even in the more frost prone areas.

Here also is a similar map for North Carolina. My location as shown by the arrow is listed as "5b" but likely is at least one zone colder than that as the scale on the map doesn't show enough detail for the very highest elevations.

post-9361-0-28791600-1376573823_thumb.pn

post-9361-0-85298600-1376573835_thumb.pn

post-9361-0-08003000-1376573842_thumb.pn

Made it down to 55 this morning. Slept with the windows open and yes it got a little chilly. Sitting at 72 after a high of 73. Thick high clouds so there will probably be no radiational cooling tonight. As low as the temp and dp is now if anything started to fall temps would fall and probably lock in the 58-61 degree range.

Don't know as I'm back at my place in Michigan currently. However, it is usually within one degree of the reporting station on Mt. Mitchell which has a station at the 6200 foot level so it probably was in the upper 40's. I'm sure the first freeze is less than a month away. Based on the vegetation there and when things bloom etc..the growing season is nearly identical to that of the interior areas of Northern Michigan. (Of course-they have already recently had a killing frost which is quite early for that location.)

Nice Mike. I was telling some friends today we will have snow on the ground in the higher elevations in about two months. current temp is 65 degrees.

Same time & temp as last night for the most part. Sitting at 57. Cooling down at a good clip of course the cloud cover left nothing but clear skies. Making me beggining to wonder if this is a HP dominant system along with a "carolina split" will kick in and keep most of the heaviest precip parreling the coast and mountains. Mainly along the coast of course. :axe::whistle:

Whelp, we have our third different record in as many days. We set the daily precip record for August 14th with 5.73", 0.01" shy of the all-time record. The coolest high on record for August 15th was set with a high of 74°, breaking the old record by a solid 8 degrees! Now, this morning, we're breaking the record low.

With a cool high expected again, I went 76, we could break the coolest high temperature today, 77°, and possibly tomorrow, 82° (I'm going with 80...). Fun times... Fun times.

Archived