joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another round of rain again tonight. Over the last three nights .45 .40 .30.  Really its amazing how wet this summer has been unlike recent years. Since the 1st of July till now with .5"-1.0"+ here and a few gully washers there... there has been atleast 10-12" to fall.

:facepalm: I know I should have kept up with it...... but it was like :axe::rolleyes::sleepy:  every time it rained.

Storm pic from over the weekend near Waterrock Knob, Balsam, NC. It passed just South of this location and created a loud roar either due to rain falling on distance trees or perhaps a small microburst. Also..look what NASA installed on my mountain top a couple of days ago! (For weather research as discussed here: http://iphex.pratt.duke.edu/ )

post-9361-0-71368900-1376494613_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-45529500-1376494621_thumb.jp

Storm pic from over the weekend near Waterrock Knob, Balsam, NC. It passed just South of this location and created a loud roar either due to rain falling on distance trees or perhaps a small microburst. Also..look what NASA installed on my mountain top a couple of days ago! (For weather research as discussed here: http://iphex.pratt.duke.edu/ )

Wow!  Awesome pic and equipment.  I'm jealous.  Too bad NASA has no interest in a small parcel of nondescript land in the Hickory area.

Wow!  Awesome pic and equipment.  I'm jealous.  Too bad NASA has no interest in a small parcel of nondescript land in the Hickory area.

LOL! Did you ask? :) They are several overlapping weather research programs that are now on-going in North Carolina with weather instruments in lots of nondescript locations in addition to mountain tops. Here is a link to some examples:

http://hmt.noaa.gov/field_programs/hmt-se/  Lots of equipment is being installed right now for a program that will extend until at least October, 2014.  NASA, NOAA, NWS and other government agencies are the sponsors with several Universities doing the work.

Is that on top pf Balsam Mike? Beautiful shot.

Lol that sounds pretty sticky. Man you need to move to the mountains.

Maybe I'll get in on some good action up there.

Just a trace today. The rain was drying up just as fast as it came down. I don't even want to look at radar. Missing everything especially the widespread 2+ inch totals to the North with that huge severe warned storm complex. As soon our rain chances went to 80% for this evening , we got BS. I'm already whining when I still have the next 4 days left with 80% chances of rain.

Maybe I'll get in on some good action up there.

Just a trace today. The rain was drying up just as fast as it came down. I don't even want to look at radar. Missing everything especially the widespread 2+ inch totals to the North with that huge severe warned storm complex. As soon our rain chances went to 80% for this evening , we got BS. I'm already whining when I still have the next 4 days left with 80% chances of rain.

please shoot me now.

I can't seem to win for losing :)  All the rain moved south of me.  I did get the cad drizzle, just sans the cad.  In about 4 hours of near constant rain, I've managed to eke out .1.  Yep, one tenth of the flooding drizzle pour.  At least I'm not concerned with runoff, as there is no run to off.  T

65.6 here.  I can't believe I'm only 4 degrees warmer than you.  This weather is fantastic!  I just stood out on the newly refinished deck (used some Restore -- awesome stuff!) and soaked in the coolness.  Perfect!

Does that stuff settle with gravity, or is it like texture paint?  When I was doing decks I used a product by Flood.  Crx with UV..something like that, and it held up well, but went on like water, so you have to keep rolling it on until it started to pool up, to be sure you have all the voids filled.  That Restore looks like it covers well, but I wonder if you get a smooth "painted" surface? And can you get it down between the boards easily?

I'll be curious in how long you can go without a recoat, and if it peels....how long water beads up on it, before you have to recoat. 

I highly recommend Sherwin Williams bonding primer.  It's expensive but that stuff will stick to air.  I ended up using that under paint, or paint/stain and it held on great.  I'm thinking the bonding primer with the Restore might be an unbeatable combo. Tony

If you haven't ventured outside this evening your missing it. Been a couple of months since I felt this type of air mass. 64 under partly cloudy skies at best. No problem radiating well down into the 50's tonight if the clouds cooperate. I'll have to check but PTI is at 10 or 11 days with a high temp of 90. Average is 29 per season and as recently as 2010 we had over 60. What a deal temp wise this summer. May be once in a lifetime event,

Does that stuff settle with gravity, or is it like texture paint?  When I was doing decks I used a product by Flood.  Crx with UV..something like that, and it held up well, but went on like water, so you have to keep rolling it on until it started to pool up, to be sure you have all the voids filled.  That Restore looks like it covers well, but I wonder if you get a smooth "painted" surface? And can you get it down between the boards easily?

I'll be curious in how long you can go without a recoat, and if it peels....how long water beads up on it, before you have to recoat. 

I highly recommend Sherwin Williams bonding primer.  It's expensive but that stuff will stick to air.  I ended up using that under paint, or paint/stain and it held on great.  I'm thinking the bonding primer with the Restore might be an unbeatable combo. Tony

I love the stuff.  It's textured, not smooth at all, but I don't mind.  In fact, it's kinda like a non-slick surface that you would want around a pool.  I walk on it barefoot all the time, and it stays relatively cool even in the direct sunlight.  I'm sick of staining, so I thought I'd give this a try.  I put on two incredibly thick coats on all the horizontal surfaces of my deck.  It fills in all the cracks in the boards, and then you can use a putty knife between boards to keep the boards separate, if you want.  I'm betting I get 4+ years out of this.  I don't see how I wouldn't.  You can also use the stuff on concrete.  It's expensive, though.  I spent $400+ to cover my 16 x 30 deck and the steps and banisters.  But, that's cheaper than having to replace the decking itself in a couple years.  So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the product, and I would highly recommend it.

Is that on top pf Balsam Mike? Beautiful shot.

It is taken from near the top of Mtn Lyn Lowry looking towards Yellow Face with the top obscured by the cloud on the extreme right of the pic. Waterrock Knob is just to the right of that. Due to the tropical atmosphere in place-cloud watching was absolutely specatcular this last weekend there with multiple layers of clouds and rapidly changing conditions on the mountain top. One morning-there was lenticular clouds...another morning..the top of the undercast in the valley actually showed Kelvin-Helmholtz waves forms! :lmao:

It is taken from near the top of Mtn Lyn Lowry looking towards Yellow Face with the top obscured by the cloud on the extreme right of the pic. Waterrock Knob is just to the right of that. Due to the tropical atmosphere in place-cloud watching was absolutely specatcular this last weekend there with multiple layers of clouds and rapidly changing conditions on the mountain top. One morning-there was lenticular clouds...another morning..the top of the undercast in the valley actually showed Kelvin-Helmholtz waves forms! :lmao:

Spent many a days up on waterrock knob. You are a lucky man to live in such close proximity.

Archived