Newest Member
    joxey
August obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol yall are crazy.

Drizzle, windy, and never ending thunder and vivid lightning. Looking at radar, you would think Waycross is getting hammered, we'll it is, just not my backyard.

NW side of town, 2 inches of rain have fallen already.

Here's a new avatar for you.

i-RLS2WJF-L.jpg

Seen the first couple of wooly worms last few days... solid black. No rain as of lately I for one am glad its drying up a little and enjoying this "indian summer".  It was getting to the point of smelling mildew coming from the yard and lawn every time ya have to walk outside.

Considering the pattern we have been in all summer I think it may stretch well into winter. But looking at some of the long range models as time progresses the ridge axis out west may get stronger and move west which would all for deeper troughs in the in the central and se sections. I'm calling this a hunch... but areas around me and other se locations may have thier first frost early this year by alteast 2-3 weeks.

Anyway 70 atm. Slight chance tomorrow but doubt it. Sunday will be the day.

It was mostly cloudy this afternoon.  Then the sun came out late, and it started to rain.  I got .1 then the sun went back behind the clouds, and the rain stopped. Been doing this for weeks now. Trying to have weather without the Moles is just all bass akwards.  Of course, this winter, if it is colder than normal, the sun will be out a lot, and I can expect tons of sleet :thumbsup:   T

My backyard picked up 6.51. I see below it says Waycross picked up 10.60. It was because of that huge storm on Friday that just sat there. We only picked up 0.20 from it when everywhere else picked up 2+.

... August 2013 climate summary for Jacksonville...

... near normal temperatures... highly variable rainfall...

August brought stalled fronts and slow moving thunderstorms. Areas that experenced heavy rain and saturated soil in July got more of the same in August. Flash flooding damaged homes in the Jesup area on the 20th. Several counties postponed the start of the school year due to damaged and flooded roads in rural areas. Several area rivers went into flood... including the Alapaha... Altamaha... St Marys... Satilla... and Santa Fe. Rainfall extremes across the Jacksonville County area of responsibility ranged from around 3 inches to over 13 inches.

Jacksonville vicinity... northeast Florida...

Jacksonville Beach... .. 4.53 Fernandina Beach... .. 9.39 Jacksonville NAS... ... . 4.44 Gainesville ... ... ... 2.80 Mayport ns... ... ... ... . 4.04 Lake City... ... ... 6.81

White House... ... ... ... 5.99 Glen St Mary... ... ... 6.34

big Talbot Island... ... 7.47 Federal Point... ... .. 9.72 Little Talbot Island... 5.50 St. Augustine litehs. 5.85 Craig Field... ... ... ... 6.93 St. Augustine Arpt... 7.60 south Ponte Vedra... ... 5.79 Hastings ... ... ... 13.47 guana river St park... . 4.65 High Springs... ... ... 9.66 Beauclerc... ... ... ... .. 8.70 Jasper... ... ... ... ... 6.96

Bell ... ... ... ... . 8.21 Orange Springs. . 5.26

Palm Coast ... ... .. Ocala... ... ... ... ... . 9.43

Starke... ... ... ... ... 6.77 Crescent City... ... .. 8.46

Juniper Springs... ... 3.11 Flagler Beach... ...

Palm Coast... ... . 7.57

southeast Georgia...

Baxley ... ... ... ... 12.79 Woodbine... ... ... ... .11.12 Brunswick... ... ... ... .. 6.47 St Simons Island... .. 7.90

Homerville ... ... ... . 6.68 Alma... ... ... ... ... .. 9.45 Pridgen... ... ... ... ... .10.69 Patterson... ... ... ... 6.53 Waycross ... ... ... ..10.60 Manor... ... ... ... ... . 8.56 Nahunta ... ... ... ... 9.00 Hazlehurst... ... ... ..11.99

Fargo... ... ... ... . 4.68

Well, the Experiment Station officially had 3.66, so I beat them by .69.  And here I was feeling all droughty :)  T

By the way, Michelle, I must have been wetter than you earlier in the year as the Experiment Station has 46.38 for the year so far.  And this Aug the avg high was 84.32 compared to 92.47 in 2011.  I'll take an Aug like this every time :)

Well, the Experiment Station officially had 3.66, so I beat them by .69.  And here I was feeling all droughty :)  T

By the way, Michelle, I must have been wetter than you earlier in the year as the Experiment Station has 46.38 for the year so far.  And this Aug the avg high was 84.32 compared to 92.47 in 2011.  I'll take an Aug like this every time :)

There were a couple of months that you seemed to have every raindrop in the state find yby :lol:  This summer has been nothing short of awesome :wub:  Sure does beat what we've had to deal with the past few summers ;) 

I'm I allowed to still post in this thread or are we too close to September?

No rain today, but it was warm and humid.

Man I am running real late for this thread! Between vacations, back to school, & full throttle at work haven't had much time. The rain faucet definitely shut off in Weaverville for August. got below our average. Still a banner year in the precip dept though. I am certian the sky's are well over due for a chance to heal!

Well, I finally managed to get around to compiling and posting my August stats IMBY.  While nowhere near as wet as June or July, August 2013 still greatly exceeded rainfall totals from each of the past two Augusts:  2011 (4.35 in) and 2012 (2.26 in).  My yearly rainfall total is just getting ridiculous.  Signs of drought are long gone.

Now, to the numbers...

Final August Stats:

Hi Temp:  93.7 F (on 8/97 and 7/18; compare to 93.3 F from 2012)

Lo Temp:  56.1 F (on 8/15; compare to 58.4 from 2012)

Mean Temp:  72.8 F (compare to 77.8 F from 2012)

Hi Wind Gust:  25.0 mph (on 8/23)

Total Rainfall:  5.59 in (measured rainfall > 0.01 in on 15 different days; compare to 2.26 in from 2012)

Wettest Day:  1.93 in (on 8/10)

Rainfall for Year:  58.27 in (Jan - Aug; compare to 45.31 in for entire 2012)

Archived