Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August obs

mackerel_sky

Trace yesterday morning

I'll be in your backyard Sunday-Friday so I'll make sure to bring the umbrella  :)

Pretty nasty out there today, DP in the mid 70's and temps in the low 90's suck. Lots of low level instability but like always no real trigger or shear to keep any storms going. Still should see some storms fire, and at least there is a breeze although it does not help much.

I am ready for lows in the 40's lol. 

+1  :wub: 

2013 Versus 2012 Severe Weather Warnings Issued from NWS GSP (as of August 8th)

Flash Flood Warnings 2013 (82) vs. 2012 (19)

Tornado Warnings 2013 (47) vs. 2012 (13)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings 2013 (291) vs. 2012 (529)

You've worked hard this year   :P  :hug: 

Another day in the 90's and no rain in mby  ;)

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong storm went through Hickory a few hours back.  I lost power for about 2 hours, which was the first only time in the two years that I've lived in this house.  I enjoy those underground power lines.  Neighbor lost a tree that fell right across his driveway.  Been outside helping him chop it up so that he can get in and out of his driveway.  It was an old Bradford pear that needed to have been brought down for a while.  I suppose nature finally took its course.  1.92 inches of rainfall from that beast of a storm.

Not sure where the heat warnings are for here. TWC has a high of 98, 99, 98 for the next three days. They usually are only off my a degree or two with the forecast highs. The NWS on the other hand, is typically 4 or 5 degrees lower than the actual high. The reason their computed heat index is so low is because they always has the dewpoints 6+ lower than what they actually are.

It's currently 83 with a heat index of 94 and dewpoint of 79. The 6am forecast said the dewpoint would be down to 73 and 71 at Noon.

Holy cow at the humidity here in the piedmont!! Just stepped outside and UGH! Looks like a quick jump in the lake before the rain and storms fire up. Jeez....you would think the bullseye for the national heat index is right over winston salem today! But I'm sure its hotter somewhere in eastern north carolina. Or maybe around Columbia. Lol.

Holy cow at the humidity here in the piedmont!! Just stepped outside and UGH! Looks like a quick jump in the lake before the rain and storms fire up. Jeez....you would think the bullseye for the national heat index is right over winston salem today! But I'm sure its hotter somewhere in eastern north carolina. Or maybe around Columbia. Lol.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KOCW.html

This location has the highest DP's and HI usually on a day to day basis in NC its at the airport in Washington which is a few miles off the Pamlico River, and like most of eastern NC its surrounded by fields and swamps.

This is from there yesterday when they had a temp of 93 with a DP of 81.....

0 12:55 W 10 10.00 Fair CLR 93 81     68% NA 114 30.06 NA

It's 90 with a dewpoint of 81 and heat index of 108. We have the hottest heat index in the country right now.

The bullseye is right over us. Look over the country and didn't see any higher one. I'll stop now so you guys won't get annoyed of humidity posts (mackerel_sky).

You win.  That is just a nasty dew point.  I am not envious in the least.  I'd most likely be way cross if I was experiencing similar conditions right now; so, I congratulate you on your calm demeanor this morning.   :)

Whats so special about Waycross that I dont know? Waycross, Homerville, Pearson all about the same... hot and sticky in the summer and mild/cool/cold durring the winter how ever your prespective is. Can't forget the Pinelands and Swamps.

Anyway its been a wet summer between life and trying to maintain the lawn its almost impossible. Last few days the rain shield has been on.... storms all but here. Storms would aproach then like a flip of the switch covection would just to sprinkles from the leftover stratus.

Heads up northern Durham and Raleigh got some storms heading that way. A little mini bow echo just blew threw with brief heavy rain.

Whats so special about Waycross that I dont know? Waycross, Homerville, Pearson all about the same... hot and sticky in the summer and mild/cool/cold durring the winter how ever your prespective is. Can't forget the Pinelands and Swamps.

Not really, we are almost always warmer than those areas. Valdosta and Waycross typically are the hottest places on GA. Everyday on the local on the 8s on TWC when they show the forecast highs for surrounding areas, Waycross and Valdosta are usually 5 degrees warmer than everywhere else.

It's 93/99/70 in Pearson now. 93/103/74 in Homerville. It's 95/113/79 here. Big difference. We even had a 15 degree drop earlier.

Same ol' same ol' - hot and icky getting hotter and ickier until the afternoon thunderstorms pop out.

Then if you're lucky you are nicely cooled down without too much wet.

if you're not lucky you end up with minimal drop in the temp but even more humidity than before. Ugh.

Yesterday I was directly under an updraft when the elevator started.  Quite an impressive sight, and I made a few people at the gas station nervous with my staring straight up at the sky - they're very tornado-shy around here, we're only a handful of miles from the path of the F5 from the Birmingham outbreak last year.

Another night of rain in the north central piedmont. Mainly elevated moderate rain. Storm cluster trying to get together as it moves just south of the VA border. Severe thunder storm warning could be possible in further east(Durham and Granville south and east). Alot of lightening to the west. Just looking at the radar appears to be 3 inflow boundiaires coming in the main axis.

Edit.

.45" last night.

Archived