amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 17th-21st Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. A continuous line of severe warnings that stretch unbroken from Kalamazoo to Macomb county. Some places are getting their 4th severe thunderstorm of the day, and not a single watch for SE Michigan? WTF. 

Most of the severe warnings today have been outside of the watch box in the metro area.

A couple more weeks of this though and hello drought again.

Are you serious with this? MKE has had 6.40" of rain since June 1st and 25.91" since the beginning of the year both of which are above normal. Please think before posting such nonsense.

Second severe storm of the day here in Canton. Winds were intense enough to knock our iron grill grate off the picnic table, definitely more lightning this go around than the severe storm earlier today. Third severe storm of the day for me, including the one up in Troy earlier. Very satisfied! 

Cold front! Storm intense enough to wake me up with lightning... First time that's happened. Didn't sound severe but I slept through the beginning so hey who knows?

Sent from my HTCONE 4 Beta

Nonstop lightning here not only from this line but the one out over Lake Erie. Seen several transformer go too off to the NW.

Congrats to those who got storms... Sounds like you got blitzed powerball.

Unfortunately a full-on squall line never materialized (at least not yet), so the isolated nature of the storms left me with like a few minutes of moderate rain from a micro-shower... Nothing more than that. But so it goes.

Sent from my HTCONE 4 Beta

Well that turned out... a lit bit off. 

Got some good lightning from a cell that couldn't really get its act together in northwest Ohio. Holding on hope for a good lights show later tonight from these storms on the lower tier of counties in Michigan. Interesting day though. 

Are you serious with this? MKE has had 6.40" of rain since June 1st and 25.91" since the beginning of the year both of which are above normal. Please think before posting such nonsense.

It was somewhat facetious but it seems like it doesn't take much in the summer when you have sunny, warm weather.  Grass is starting to brown in spots, not much though.  Still, if the next rain chances from Sunday through Tuesday fail to pan out, it might not be so far-fetched.  That will take us to the end of July with just over a half inch for the month.

I have not seen such intense rains like this since the training storms in July 2008. The last batch had the strongest winds here ( unlike the storms at started which prompted the severe t-storm warning ) which knocked out my power for a few seconds. Amazing light show. Couple of small storms just firing west of here. See what they do. Easily the best storms here since 2011.

Ehhh, at least we got some needed rain. My wx station measured 1.93" so far since about 10:30PM. It is a tipping bucket, and there were some heavy downpours, so I will need to go check the 4" raingauge.

VERY much needed rains here. Radar estimates of around 2 to 2+ across BC and even a couple of 2.5+ spots.

Unbelievable. As the line was about 20 miles west of here all these storms blew up over head Kitchener/Waterloo and this massive storm came together with the line. A legit wall cloud over the centre of the city formed and was spinning around, and I guess it could of produced but was undercut. Right as it was coming over the winds ripped and everything started flying away. We were in the basement so fast! Grabbed my laptop, grabbed the dog and we were gone. Right when we got down there the power went out and it was black. Was a thundering roar for minutes. 

The city is a mess right now. Huge trees down, hydro lines down, a lot of bad damage. Took a quick tour around I've never seen such damage here before. Roads are closed, cars crushed, fences smashed, gazebos blown over... etc! The airport about 6 miles southeast of here clocked winds at 74mph. It could have been close to 80mph up here. That was insanity. Got loads of pictures I can upload later.

*wall cloud was confirmed by professional storm chasers with photo evidence

Wow, that sounds pretty bad...of course I never get that up here. CTV for Kitchener-Waterloo is talking about the damage but they aren't saying its as bad as your putting it. Just trees uprooted, some minor damage to some buildings and power outages. Great footage on their newscast too. You got the storm I was looking forward too. So how does it rank? Looking forward to those pics, no other info about a wall cloud in the city. 

Bit of a disappointing chase day. Drove around for about 6 hours and of course theres an isolated tornado warned cell right over my house and I'm nowhere near...... pics to come.

Ouch, sorry. I was even temped myself to go out today but nothing within reach was that amazing...there was a Mount Forest cell that I liked (and so did Martian on TWN) with some brief rotation.

I thought all you needed were the winds (greater than 90kph/56mph), hail (15mms diameter canada, 25 mms/1" in the US), frequent lightning, or heavy downpours (25mm/hr or 75mms/3 hrs) to consider it a hit in the warning department on both sides of the border.

thunderstorm-related gusts of 56kt/104kph at YYZ and 64kt/119kph at YKF are good enough for me to call it a hit in the severe thunderstorm department in my book.

That is correct, but I personally didn't experience severe conditions but it sounds like quite a few did in KW and parts of Toronto.

Amazingly, the storms are still going with hail and all, all over southern Ontario; can't remember such a busy convective day around here. In fact, as I was typing this there was another cell to hit me! It was the 3rd one, moderate rain and some CC lightning. I was waiting for it after everyone else got their 3rd serving.

400,000 people left without power in Quebec and 1 death, 10 injured. That's 600,000 without power in this part of the country.

Quick time lapse of one of the storms earlier this eve. 

=

Nice!

Sweet pics and vids to those who captured them.

----

Lightning and thunder still going on here! 5th and what I presume to be final round of convection today, at 3:00am. Still a solid light show.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad...of course I never get that up here. CTV for Kitchener-Waterloo is talking about the damage but they aren't saying its as bad as your putting it. Just trees uprooted, some minor damage to some buildings and power outages. Great footage on their newscast too. You got the storm I was looking forward too. So how does it rank? Looking forward to those pics, no other info about a wall cloud in the city. 

Ouch, sorry. I was even temped myself to go out today but nothing within reach was that amazing...there was a Mount Forest cell that I liked (and so did Martian on TWN) with some brief rotation.

That is correct, but I personally didn't experience severe conditions but it sounds like quite a few did in KW and parts of Toronto.

Amazingly, the storms are still going with hail and all, all over southern Ontario; can't remember such a busy convective day around here. In fact, as I was typing this there was another cell to hit me! It was the 3rd one, moderate rain and some CC lightning. I was waiting for it after everyone else got their 3rd serving.

400,000 people left without power in Quebec and 1 death, 10 injured. That's 600,000 without power in this part of the country.

Would love to see wall cloud pics of that storm. I have some pics of it from a distance.

I chased the cell in Mount Forest today and video'd/snapped a few shots of a lowering/weakly rotating wall cloud on it. Will upload tomorrow night.... too many pics to go through and I need to crash. Been watching storms for 13 hours now... LOVE IT! Best single storm day of the year.

Archived