joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 17th-21st Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely insane night. Was driving along the 401 towards Hamilton when the storms hit and the worst round was when I was arriving in Hamilton just after 9pm. Echoing what people have said about nonstop lightning - the sky was constantly being lit up for several hours straight with vivd CG strikes. The only light show I can recall that compares to this one was the August 24, 2011 storm outbreak in southern Ontario. The wind was incredible and the parking lot at our apartment building was flooded under more than half a foot of water in some places. Felt like a hurricane for a few minutes.

My dad is reporting heavy damage in Blenheim, a small town in south Chatham-Kent along the shore of lake Erie. He says he's never seen a storm that bad since he's been there. At least several large trees down, power lines crushed throughout the town, and his basement flooded with several inches of water. He says they must have had at least 5 inches of rain or more since the back yard was under more than a foot of water, and the DTX radar is showing that 4-5 inches fell in a few hours there last night. Gonna be heading down to Blenheim later today to see what the damage at the house is and around town.

Took a lot of video of the lightning in Hamilton and put some of the best shots into gif form. I think they turned out pretty well. These were all taken around 10pm last night.

utG015p.gif

1kv9dDB.gif

A2hZlB7.gif

v3Rhq1T.gif

njtQxGO.gif

DN31oyl.jpg

iRJONNq.jpg

Absolutely insane night. Was driving along the 401 towards Hamilton when the storms hit and the worst round was when I was arriving in Hamilton just after 9pm. Echoing what people have said about nonstop lightning - the sky was constantly being lit up for several hours straight with vivd CG strikes. The only light show I can recall that compares to this one was the August 24, 2011 storm outbreak in southern Ontario. The wind was incredible and the parking lot at our apartment building was flooded under more than half a foot of water in some places. Felt like a hurricane for a few minutes.

My dad is reporting heavy damage in Blenheim, a small town in south Chatham-Kent along the shore of lake Erie. He says he's never seen a storm that bad since he's been there. At least several large trees down, power lines crushed throughout the town, and his basement flooded with several inches of water. He says they must have had at least 5 inches of rain or more since the back yard was under more than a foot of water, and the DTX radar is showing that 4-5 inches fell in a few hours there last night. Gonna be heading down to Blenheim later today to see what the damage at the house is and around town.

Took a lot of video of the lightning in Hamilton and put some of the best shots into gif form. I think they turned out pretty well. These were all taken around 10pm last night.

As Trent posted in the N. OH thread, the ground truth to those radar estimates is closer to 7-8" at least for Northern OH.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad...of course I never get that up here. CTV for Kitchener-Waterloo is talking about the damage but they aren't saying its as bad as your putting it. Just trees uprooted, some minor damage to some buildings and power outages. Great footage on their newscast too. You got the storm I was looking forward too. So how does it rank? Looking forward to those pics, no other info about a wall cloud in the city. 

The central and east side of Waterloo got smacked. The most CTV Kitchener showed was Marshall Street which the southern side of the city. Also, Waterloo Regional Police took 205 calls from the storm. Couldn't get too far into the Bridge/Lexington area last night because of trees blocking the roads, but they were hammered, and I got a couple pics from that area.

The wall cloud (not my pic): pic.twitter.com/Iclu9neplU

Couple pics of Waterloo off Twitter:

pic.twitter.com/Q3ynzuROVT

pic.twitter.com/Phlv0tzPKK

pic.twitter.com/ptBDQoEhzB

pic.twitter.com/UKxFyTn6QB

My album: http://s901.photobucket.com/user/medusan/library/July%2019th%20Waterloo%20Storm%20Damage

The winds must have been rather high last night in this area because there was a fair amount of damage in the area.  A lot of tree limbs were down, and I even saw one tree completely uprooted which I have never seen around here before.  It landed on a house, and fortunately landed on an angle so that it didn't completely crash through the front room.  I'm rather surprised at how much tree damage I saw because the gusts didn't seem like anything we haven't had around here, and I'm wondering if there was some sort of localized downburst.  

Would love to see wall cloud pics of that storm. I have some pics of it from a distance.

I chased the cell in Mount Forest today and video'd/snapped a few shots of a lowering/weakly rotating wall cloud on it. Will upload tomorrow night.... too many pics to go through and I need to crash. Been watching storms for 13 hours now... LOVE IT! Best single storm day of the year.

So did you get into that MF cell or were you just on the outside? I'm curious as to how bad it was, haven't heard anything. Agree about needing to rest, it was 13 hours of almost non-stop watching here as well, needed a long sleep after!

As Trent posted in the N. OH thread, the ground truth to those radar estimates is closer to 7-8" at least for Northern OH.

I noticed the squall line stalled very close to N. OH early this morning and I can believe the rainfall totals as a result.

The central and east side of Waterloo got smacked. The most CTV Kitchener showed was Marshall Street which the southern side of the city. Also, Waterloo Regional Police took 205 calls from the storm. Couldn't get too far into the Bridge/Lexington area last night because of trees blocking the roads, but they were hammered, and I got a couple pics from that area.

The wall cloud (not my pic): pic.twitter.com/Iclu9neplU

Couple pics of Waterloo off Twitter:

pic.twitter.com/Q3ynzuROVT

pic.twitter.com/Phlv0tzPKK

pic.twitter.com/ptBDQoEhzB

pic.twitter.com/UKxFyTn6QB

My album: http://s901.photobucket.com/user/medusan/library/July%2019th%20Waterloo%20Storm%20Damage

I have relatives near there. Haven't heard anything. Looks tight the wall cloud pic.

Great lightning pics OntarioWX! I'll upload some stuff later tonight or early morning.

Had an awesome storm chase with my chase partner yesterday. We set up in Southern Region of Waterloo during the early afternoon. Was hesitant to go north like all of the other chasers had. Turns out either decision would have been okay, but I'm very glad I made the decision to have the south option and be somewhat close to home (which turned out to be hit extremely hard). We saw the squall line organizing as it pushed off of Lake Huron so we decided to head north to the Region of Waterloo Airport, we then decided that we would drop back south into Southern Region of Waterloo/far Western City of Hamilton for the chance that the Southern end of the squall line would continue to strengthen. The initial bow passed over us just outside of Cambridge and produced winds of around 90km/h breaking many tree limbs. We then decided to head south toward Highway 52/Jerseyville Road area in the City of Hamilton for the organizing storms on the southern end of the bow. This turned out to be a great decision. The storm was actually tornado warned by Environment Canada and as it passed over us we experienced winds in excess of 110km/h that laid trees onto homes and flattened corn fields in the area. This storm produced a fair amount of damage west of Highway 52 between Jerseyville Road and Wilson Street in Ancaster. We then decided to go back to my house which is about 15 minutes from where we were located. We arrived there and noticed another well organized squall line continuing to strengthen just to our west and decided to head to a local park a couple of kilometres west of my house. This is where I experienced by far the strongest winds ever. This thunderstorm produced winds likely well in excess of 120km/h and caused extensive damage to my neighbourhood including my property. Tons of trees snapped/uprooted in the area with even more trees just shredded apart. Trees fell on power lines snapping the power poles so 1 block over the power has been out since yesterday at 8pm. Trees also fell on homes, garages, and cars through out the area. We cleared the trees in my yard today, but many roads are still blocked in the area and many people are still without power. The winds were so powerful that a carport two doors down from my home was sheared off the side of the house and smashed into the owners car and then pinned up against the next house. Fibreglass insulation was also found in my neighbours yard. Here is a video of the storm in my neighbourhood, I am working on video for the 3 other severe storms that we experienced on Friday, and am also working on editing all the damage photos so they can be uploaded to Flickr. The severe storm at 930pm produced 100km/h winds at my location and added to the damage from the earlier storm, CYHM recorded a gust of 106km/h with this storm. The storm was also at night so the lightning was incredible. The intensity, frequency, and close proximity of the CG strikes was insane to say the least. As OntarioWX posted, this was only comparable to August 24th 2011. 

Timeline of severe storms: 

530 PM: Southern RoW storm with 90km/h winds.

630 PM: Ancaster storm with winds over 110km/h

800 PM: Western Hamilton storm with winds well over 120km/h

930 PM: Western Hamilton storm with 100km/h winds and constant lightning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXASU57fQCc

Be sure to watch the whole video. 

Baseball size hail in Huntley? Wowsers.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

754 PM CDT SAT JUL 20 2013

ILC031-043-089-111-210145-

/O.CON.KLOT.SV.W.0097.000000T0000Z-130721T0145Z/

KANE IL-MCHENRY IL-DUPAGE IL-COOK IL-

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERN

COOK...NORTHWESTERN DUPAGE...SOUTH CENTRAL MCHENRY AND KANE COUNTIES

UNTIL 845 PM CDT...

AT 752 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR HAMPSHIRE...

AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS STORM.

HAZARD...BASEBALL SIZE HAIL AND 70 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...TRAINED SPOTTERS HAVE REPORTED DAMAGING WINDS AND BASEBALL

SIZE HAIL NEAR HUNTLEY.

IMPACT...PEOPLE AND ANIMALS OUTDOORS WILL BE SEVERELY INJURED. EXPECT

SHATTERED WINDOWS...EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING AND

VEHICLES.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

ALGONQUIN...CARPENTERSVILLE...SLEEPY HOLLOW...EAST DUNDEE...ELGIN...

HOFFMAN ESTATES...ST. CHARLES...SCHAUMBURG...DUPAGE AIRPORT...

GILBERTS...WEST DUNDEE...ELBURN...STREAMWOOD...WAYNE...BARTLETT...

HANOVER PARK...PINGREE GROVE...BARRINGTON HILLS...SOUTH BARRINGTON

AND SOUTH ELGIN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

BUILDING.

PREPARE IMMEDIATELY FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. PEOPLE OUTSIDE

SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER...INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING AND AWAY FROM

WINDOWS.

&&

LAT...LON 4202 8800 4181 8848 4209 8859 4215 8859

4216 8861 4227 8844

TIME...MOT...LOC 0053Z 323DEG 21KT 4210 8847

HAIL...2.75IN

WIND...70MPH

$$

BMD

Baseball size hail in Huntley? Wowsers.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

ILC031-043-089-111-210145-

/O.CON.KLOT.SV.W.0097.000000T0000Z-130721T0145Z/

KANE IL-MCHENRY IL-DUPAGE IL-COOK IL-

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERN

COOK...NORTHWESTERN DUPAGE...SOUTH CENTRAL MCHENRY AND KANE COUNTIES

UNTIL 845 PM CDT...

AT 752 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR HAMPSHIRE...

AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS STORM.

HAZARD...BASEBALL SIZE HAIL AND 70 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...TRAINED SPOTTERS HAVE REPORTED DAMAGING WINDS AND BASEBALL

SIZE HAIL NEAR HUNTLEY.

IMPACT...PEOPLE AND ANIMALS OUTDOORS WILL BE SEVERELY INJURED. EXPECT

SHATTERED WINDOWS...EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING AND

VEHICLES.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

ALGONQUIN...CARPENTERSVILLE...SLEEPY HOLLOW...EAST DUNDEE...ELGIN...

HOFFMAN ESTATES...ST. CHARLES...SCHAUMBURG...DUPAGE AIRPORT...

GILBERTS...WEST DUNDEE...ELBURN...STREAMWOOD...WAYNE...BARTLETT...

HANOVER PARK...PINGREE GROVE...BARRINGTON HILLS...SOUTH BARRINGTON

AND SOUTH ELGIN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

BUILDING.

PREPARE IMMEDIATELY FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. PEOPLE OUTSIDE

SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER...INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING AND AWAY FROM

WINDOWS.

&&

LAT...LON 4202 8800 4181 8848 4209 8859 4215 8859

4216 8861 4227 8844

TIME...MOT...LOC 0053Z 323DEG 21KT 4210 8847

HAIL...2.75IN

WIND...70MPH

$$

BMD

That kinda came out of nowhere.

This kind of came out of nowhere. No severe warnings were issued for this storm and everything was outflow dominant last night.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
540 PM EDT SAT JUL 20 2013

...TORNADO CONFIRMED IN CUYAHOGA COUNTY IN PEPPER PIKE...
ON JULY 20TH AROUND 3:35 AM IN THE MORNING...

LOCATION...PEPPER PIKE...CUYAHOGA COUNTY...OHIO
DATE...JULY 20 2013
ESTIMATED TIME...AROUND 3:35 AM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...HIGH END EF1
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...110 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 TO 200 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...1.3 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.5005N / -81.4685W
ENDING LAT/LON......41.4825N / -81.4590W

*THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENTS AND PUBLICATION IN NWS
STORM DATA.

.SUMMARY...
A STORM SURVEY WAS CONDUCTED IN PEPPER PIKE OHIO IN CUYAHOGA
COUNTY.

THE PATH BEGAN JUST NORTHWEST OF URSULINE COLLEGE AND CONTINUED
ACROSS PART OF THE CAMPUS WHERE EVIDENCE OF A HIGH END EF1 TORNADO
WITH ABOUT 110 MPH WINDS WAS FOUND. SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE WAS DONE TO
THE GYMNASIUM AT URSULINE COLLEGE. OTHERWISE ROOF AND TREE DAMAGE
WAS FOUND. THE TORNADO WAS ASSOCIATED WITH SOME DOWNBURST/STRAIGHT
LINE WIND DAMAGE IN THE AREA. THE TORNADO MOVED SOUTH-SOUTHEAST
CAUSING DAMAGE NEAR THE ROUND-ABOUT AND THEN NEAR THE COUNTRY CLUB.
THE DOWN BURST WINDS ALSO CAUSED SOME TREE DAMAGE IN THE AREA.

http://www.weather.gov/cle/event_2013_July20

Here are my pics from my chase.

Chose the northern target initially, and chased the Mount Forest cell where I encountered this weakly rotating but well defined lowering:

ycQFn3c.jpg

Next dropped south to Elora to try and catch the squall line but I was a tad late as it passed over me and it actually hadn't fully strengthened yet but I still got blasted with some decent 75-90 km/h gusts. Under the shelf:

LGW5bQD.jpg

Next I drove through Guelph to survey the damage. There was an INSANE amount of branches and trees down in Royal City Park, on the river:

KPHQZf1.jpg

BFPlhj5.jpg

76aOuJ9.jpg

As I continued home I encountered this supercell (tor warned) from behind. Had a nice lowering and awesome tower but I was a bit too far and couldn't catch it.

yf6A2OY.jpg

Gorgeous mammatus:

YV3T0KB.jpg

And to cap it off I saw this: DOUBLE RAINBOW

mCR9Y8T.jpg

The light show around 9-10pm provided my personal favourite of the day from my driveway:

NouITcu.jpg

Here's the damage pics from the storm seen in the video I posted,

flickr.com/photos/63669372@N05/sets/72157634741875288/

All of those photos are within 0-2km of my house.

Next, here are a few pics do the lightning later around 930-10.

flickr.com/photos/63669372@N05/sets/72157634736978199/

Still have a ton of editing, including insane video of the severe storm that produced winds around 90-100km/h and the unreal lightning show around 9-10pm. As well as the tornado warned storm in Ancaster/Jerseyville.

Congrats to all of the Ontario posters for getting in on, and sharing, the severe action. YHM Supercell, OntarioWX, harrisale, torchageddon, Hal, etc. are a great north of the border addition to our subforum. I appreciate all of the comments, opinions, reports, and especially the photos and videos.

Archived