joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 17th-21st Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And of course, the dewpoints are mixing down into the 60s.

I'm not giving up yet, but if this somehow manages to bust, then I'm done with this Summer. Forget this crap.

Your area was never supposed to be the focal point in the first place.

Storms now developing over Lake Huron will probably slam parts of Ontario between Goderich and Toronto including Stratford, K-W, Guelph, Brampton, Mississauga and metro Toronto in about 3-5 hours, wind damage and possible F1-2 tornado with these.

3 lines now up there. one from Montreal to Oshawa, the 2nd one between the Kawarthas and the north side of York Region, and the 3rd one from Muskoka/Barrie towards Mount Forrest, Goderich, Grand Bend, and back into a broken section near I-94 in Michigan. Definitely a busy evening for where I think most of the models did light it up in Southern and Eastern Ontario.

Storms now developing over Lake Huron will probably slam parts of Ontario between Goderich and Toronto including Stratford, K-W, Guelph, Brampton, Mississauga and metro Toronto in about 3-5 hours, wind damage and possible F1-2 tornado with these.

I'd like to believe that but I highly doubt it. The wall clouds that have already formed today in Cottage country haven't touched down.

Its been quite an afternoon here, tons of amazing clouds and towers, 2 rounds of storms that were cells (last was somewhat part of the line) and 3 rounds of destabilization. I got lots of discrete activity, but they weren't that powerful so maybe it was a lost cause. No bolts at all that I saw. There has been some minor tree damage in some areas near southern Grey and surrounding areas. Been hearing loud thunder all afternoon.

The overall system is faster than I expected but the mode of severe/convection is bang on. More strings of storms are lining up ahead of the biggest squall line and new discrete cells are just starting to pop near Kitchener, Mississauga, Toronto, etc. If these do nothing all of Ontario mostly will have had no severe thunderstorm expect those places near Ottawa, Midland, Orillia, and maybe some isolated areas in northern Bruce and Grey county.

Dave Patrick just got streaming and he isn't near any cells, just the line.

It's becoming pretty clear that if there is any show to be had in southern WI/northern IL/IN etc it will be waiting until later this evening. Front is still pretty far north so it will be a while before the threat is over.

yeah...hardly any shear or convergence around anywhere pre-frontal...in the areas you specified....although, I guess shear is starting to improve a bit in NW IL

Edit:  some fairly significant DCAPE in areas of southern wisco that could make things interesting when things start growing

And of course, the dewpoints are mixing down into the 60s.

I'm not giving up yet, but if this somehow manages to bust, then I'm done with this Summer. Forget this crap.

I've been on these boards for quite a few years, and I believe this is the first time I've heard summer cancel.

SPC still thinking something could fire for Powerball and Co.

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 422   CONTINUES.   SUMMARY...ISOLATED TO SCATTERED INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED   TO REMAIN A THREAT OVER MUCH OF LOWER MI THIS EVENING.  COVERAGE OF   STORMS MAY INCREASE THIS EVENING.   DISCUSSION...RECENT RADAR AND SATELLITE LOOPS SUGGEST THAT ONLY   ISOLATED INTENSE STORMS ARE OCCURRING AT THIS TIME ACROSS WW 422   OVER LOWER MI...WITH THE STRONGEST STORMS CURRENTLY AFFECTING AREAS   JUST NORTHWEST OF DET.  THE BOUNDARY LAYER ACROSS THE REGION HAS   RECOVERED FROM EARLIER STORMS...WITH TEMPERATURES NOW NEAR 90F AND   LITTLE INHIBITION REMAINING.  THE MAJORITY OF MESOSCALE MODELS   INDICATE THAT CONVECTION WILL BECOME MORE NUMEROUS DURING THE NEXT   FEW HOURS AS THE COLD FRONT SAGS SOUTHWARD AND DEEP MIXING OCCURS.    FORECAST SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO SHOW SUFFICIENT DEEP LAYER VERTICAL   SHEAR AND CAPE FOR A RISK OF DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL IN THE   STRONGEST CELLS.   ..HART.. 07/19/2013

Saw some elevated turkey towers to the north on the way home from work a bit ago.  Some had some pretty good height, but were very skinny and quick to collapse.  Watching the thing line of TCU north of Dubuque in hopes something pops soon.  Some nice cape building over eastern Iowa and northwest Illinois.

Archived