• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 17th-21st Severe Thread

andyhb

Yes andyhb, my average temp never rises above 83F and we were due for a cool summer but now I bet even this 'cool' summer will be at or above average.

Even the cool summer have at least one hot spell. (except maybe 2009) Hopefully will get some good storms in the trade off Friday.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes andyhb, my average temp never rises above 83F and we were due for a cool summer but now I bet even this 'cool' summer will be at or above average.

Dude there is no such thing as being 'due' for anything in meteorology. Honestly we could have 7 above or below normal summers in a row. Furthermore 83 is an average which means you can be above or below.

00z NAM is more bullish with development west of the lake on Friday.

On this side of the lake, NAM shows two rounds of convection.

One line arrives here around 18z-21z with the pre-frontal trough, and then it blows up the main line of storms behind that, which move through during the mid/late evening hours (granted with a somewhat worked over atmosphere).

Definitely a somewhat different solution from earlier.

EDIT: 4km NAM is missing the pre-frontal line of storms entirely though, with much less convection west of the lake.

On this side of the lake, NAM shows two rounds of convection.

One line arrives here around 18z-21z with the pre-frontal trough, and then it blows up the main line of storms behind that, which move through during the mid/late evening hours (granted with a somewhat worked over atmosphere).

Definitely a somewhat different solution from earlier.

EDIT: 4km NAM is missing the pre-frontal line of storms entirely though, with much less convection west of the lake.

I would be a bit skeptical of the pre-frontal line unless there is a major MCS up in the UP Thursday evening, then maybe you might have an outflow boundary spark stuff early.

GFS is not showing much for Friday.

I disagree with that. The overall signals haven't really changed and the model is generating widespread convective precip...that's about all you can ask for at this point. I did see one of the offices (can't remember who) mention that the high dews on the GFS may result in it being too generous with precip so that is something to watch.

Would expect a N/W shift or expansion of severe probs when the new day 2 outlook comes out.

Judging by the very potent instability and adequate deep layer shear, this may look to have moderate risk potential (primarily for an MCS) at some point, again assuming that convection tomorrow doesn't severely impact Friday (which it does look to be fairly far north, at least going by the outlooks for tomorrow and model guidance).

I am a bit surprised no hatching especially considering the wind potential on this one and the huge amounts of CAPE. I guess they are probably waiting another model cycle before adding that.

I don't like the SPC making this more of a mid Michigan threat. Not saying I disagree, but I don't like the looks of it being on the edge of the 30% mark with the center being north. Usually it means that most activity stays to the north of Detroit.

Should still exist a chance for the Detroit area, but I won't be surprised if this remains more of a mid Michigan-Thumb threat.

06z NAM is much improved, FWIW.

It loses the pre-frontal convection, and maintains 3500-4000 J/K of SBCAPE the entire time.

BTW, personally, I would much rather be on the SE edge of the higher probabilities, simply to account for any mesoscale changes (SE shifts).

Archived