• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July. High summer 2013-a humid and warm start. Is big heat lurking? Banter ok here.

weathafella

What are you using BTW?  Some day I'd like to get some highly accurate sensors online.  A while ago I looked at some sensors from RM Young that were about $700 but I think the problem was getting the data online that was problematic.

These are very expensive:

http://txwx.com/

Uploaded to website by:

http://www.weatherview32.com/

A good on-line site that sells these:

http://www.robertwhite.com/

10 years ago I had money. Health issues with my back has taken everything (three herniated discs) I mean everything, except my hobby. I have not worked or been paid in over 2 months. Just love the insurance companies, but I digress, TMI.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some forecasts for heat even in CT were overdone today. Only 91F at BDL as of 2 p.m.

Here are other observations from around the area:

ct.sfc.gif

I posted that i was curious/skeptical how hot can we get with 17c 850's (model by euro) bc there was a cpl 95-96 forecasts mon and tues and wednesday w those 850's. seems more likely later in week fri-sat

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

If you abide by the siting rules and have your instruments calibrated often, then you should be good to go. CWOP has a great data quality program that will email you when something is out of whack with your readings. Usually means it's time for a calibration.

That's a great link for some certain folks to look at their siting... This thing mentions avoiding irrigated lawns several times, and also out away from trees.

Temperature:

Should be placed on a patch of level ground, over a surface representative of the area. [Avoid rock/concrete and dark-colored surfaces, roofs, or irrigated lawns].

• Should be mounted in a ventilated radiation shield.

• Height between 4’ 1” and 6’ 7” above ground (1.25 – 2.0 m)

• Place sensors at a horizontal distance of 2 times the height of the nearest object (tree,

structure, etc). [Example: 40 feet away from a 20 foot tall tree].

• Keep away from other sources of heat such as chimneys, air vents, air conditioners, etc.

For suburban areas:

Small yards, nearby structures, variable ground cover, and HOA rules for aesthetics can make placing a weather station in residential suburban areas a challenge.

The principles remain the same – get the anemometer as close to 10 metres AGL as possible, and keep the temp/humidity sensor and rain gauge as far from obstructions as possible. Stay away from pavement, rock walls, irrigated lawns, and swimming pools.

Pretty simple with these tips to get an accurate and acceptable reading from your home weather station.

Exactly...no one is complaining about the heat but they are complaining about the humidity.  I think that's why saying it's the hottest July on record doesn't fit.  For most people it just feels humid, not hot.

Bingo. It's like setting a record for the coldest January on record but never really getting below zero because its windy every day. Folks can remember the wind chills (or humidity in this case), but it seems bootleg to set an extreme record without actually seeing that month's true extremes (like -25 in January or a bunch of 95+ in July).

Yup, totally agree... still haven't even seen any 95 degree highs at BDL.

It's all about the humidity, speaking of which, how many days in a row has BDL had 70+ dews now?

That's a great link for some certain folks to look at their siting... This thing mentions avoiding irrigated lawns several times, and also out away from trees.

Temperature:

Should be placed on a patch of level ground, over a surface representative of the area. [Avoid rock/concrete and dark-colored surfaces, roofs, or irrigated lawns].

• Should be mounted in a ventilated radiation shield.

• Height between 4’ 1” and 6’ 7” above ground (1.25 – 2.0 m)

• Place sensors at a horizontal distance of 2 times the height of the nearest object (tree,

structure, etc). [Example: 40 feet away from a 20 foot tall tree].

• Keep away from other sources of heat such as chimneys, air vents, air conditioners, etc.

For suburban areas:

Small yards, nearby structures, variable ground cover, and HOA rules for aesthetics can make placing a weather station in residential suburban areas a challenge.

The principles remain the same – get the anemometer as close to 10 metres AGL as possible, and keep the temp/humidity sensor and rain gauge as far from obstructions as possible. Stay away from pavement, rock walls, irrigated lawns, and swimming pools.

Pretty simple with these tips to get an accurate and acceptable reading from your home weather station.

Stay away from pavement . And there we have it. Macs FTL

Archived