• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July. High summer 2013-a humid and warm start. Is big heat lurking? Banter ok here.

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great link for some certain folks to look at their siting... This thing mentions avoiding irrigated lawns several times, and also out away from trees.

Temperature:

Should be placed on a patch of level ground, over a surface representative of the area. [Avoid rock/concrete and dark-colored surfaces, roofs, or irrigated lawns].

• Should be mounted in a ventilated radiation shield.

• Height between 4’ 1” and 6’ 7” above ground (1.25 – 2.0 m)

• Place sensors at a horizontal distance of 2 times the height of the nearest object (tree,

structure, etc). [Example: 40 feet away from a 20 foot tall tree].

• Keep away from other sources of heat such as chimneys, air vents, air conditioners, etc.

For suburban areas:

Small yards, nearby structures, variable ground cover, and HOA rules for aesthetics can make placing a weather station in residential suburban areas a challenge.

The principles remain the same – get the anemometer as close to 10 metres AGL as possible, and keep the temp/humidity sensor and rain gauge as far from obstructions as possible. Stay away from pavement, rock walls, irrigated lawns, and swimming pools.

Pretty simple with these tips to get an accurate and acceptable reading from your home weather station.

Much better than throwing the station up on a stick and planting it in your backyard. I have seen many PWS that should be removed, rather than be used for any obs what-so-ever. Not siting properly can skew data massively if obs are uploaded to CWOP, etc. I have actually visited some PWS around my county and helped folks site their stations properly.

And 100 feet is far enough away to not be influenced by a concrete jungle of asphalt runways ?

The standard says 50' should do it so double should be just fine.  Mine is only 35'...how close is yours?

I'm just reading a study that talks about the effects of heat sources:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/uscrn/publications/annual_reports/FY11_USCRN_Annual_Report.pdf

Much better than throwing the station up on a stick and planting it in your backyard. I have seen many PWS that should be removed, rather than be used for any obs what-so-ever.

Hey I'm all for monitoring the temperature and conditions of your yard or property as you see fit...but one needs to acknowledge that they aren't real obs (in terms of official comparable data) unless its properly sited.

I completely admit that my weather station is not sited properly...doesn't stop me from looking at the temp/dew but you won't find me posting that dew point here trying to compare with other stations.

Much better than throwing the station up on a stick and planting it in your backyard. I have seen many PWS that should be removed, rather than be used for any obs what-so-ever. Not siting properly can skew data massively if obs are uploaded to CWOP, etc. I have actually visited some PWS around my county and helped folks site their stations properly.

I didn't realize until today that Wunderground allows many different types (brands) of PWS, some much higher quality than others.  I just assumed they only allowed high end (Davis etc) products.  I will now take the Wunderground station obs with a grain of salt.

This is not to say cheaper units can't suit most people's needs.  We have one of the more expensive accu-rites and it does pretty well with regard to Temp, DP etc I just wouldn't put it up on Wundergound but that's just me.

Tolland dews currently range from 61 to 76 lol

Ding ding ding! We have a winner...that is why we use official stations to compare weather, lol. There's no way a town should ever have that wide a range in dew points, and highlights the variability of the home PWS. I mean how would you even map that on a meso-analysis?

Archived