Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Week of June 10th Heavy Rain and Thunderstorms Discussion

IsentropicLift

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are really  going to have to monitor the exact track of the low later in the week.

I can't remember the last time in June that a low as deep as the 990's tracked

through the MA region with severe parameters as strong as the forecast soundings 

showing in the warm sector.

DCA

FWIW, today's figure of 0.88" in NYC through 7 pm brings the June total to 7.37". That's the 9th highest figure on record for June. The monthly record for NYC is 10.27", which was set in 2003. Many of the summers in which June experienced excessive rainfall wound up cooler than normal.

And it's only 6/10.   20 days left to beat the record.

Absolutely pouring here in Dobbs Ferry.

+RA

60.6/57

.83" total rainfall

I think the rainfall at the local Wunderground station I use may be underestimated. It seems as if we've had more, although White Plains ASOS has recorded a similar amount of liquid so it may indeed be accurate. I'm expecting to pick up a lot more precipitation with the Nor'easter Thursday and Friday as well. It wouldn't surprise me if Central Park breaks its June rainfall record by Monday. 

FWIW, today's figure of 0.88" in NYC through 7 pm brings the June total to 7.37". That's the 9th highest figure on record for June. The monthly record for NYC is 10.27", which was set in 2003. Many of the summers in which June experienced excessive rainfall wound up cooler than normal.

July following a the top ten wettest June...

year.....temp...max/min

2003....75.8.....94/63

2009....72.7.....86/58

1903....74.6.....95/57

1972....77.2.....94/56

1989....75.0.....96/60

2006....77.9.....95/61

1887....78.2.....96/64

1975....75.8.....93/58

1938....76.6.....93/57

1981....72.3.....na/na

ave......75.6

1870-

ave......76.1.....95/59

00z NAM has the rain persisting till about 09z with up to an addiontal 0.50". The radar would argue for 1-2" tonight assuming the stuff east of DC holds together.

I just don't see us getting all that much more tonight. the NAM has a little over a 1/4 inch and the radar would support that. The heavy stuff isn't really moving this way and its also weakening

I just don't see us getting all that much more tonight. the NAM has a little over a 1/4 inch and the radar would support that. The heavy stuff isn't really moving this way and its also weakening

Not to be rude but the stuff down in DE/MD is coming straight for northern NJ and NYC

Large swath of 0.25" + per hour heading our way in the next 2-3 hours.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N1P&rid=DOX&loop=yes

Anyone else think we can see some serious storms on Thursday?

i think there is the potential for an organized severe weather threat, including the potential for tornadoes, across the mid atlantic states extending northward into southeast pa and central new jersey. nyc currently looks too far north on almost all models. the surface low redevelops near or just south of nyc's latitude which pinches off the warm front to our south. farther south over the mid atlantic, as the warm front lifts northward the models are indicative of very impressive kinematic and thermodynamic juxtaposition with the (probably overdone) nam showing 2000+j/kg of surface based cape coinciding with 0-3km helicity values over 300 m/2/s2.

as a result on the convective graphics you can see the supercell composite lighting up over the mid atlantic states...not coincidentally near or just south of the aforementioned warm front. we will have to see if these model outputs continue but it looks very interesting right now across that area.

namNE_con_scp_066.gif

Archived