e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Week of June 10th Heavy Rain and Thunderstorms Discussion

IsentropicLift

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing. Although I agree with the premise, I think forcing will definitely be more readily available this time around as well. Last year, the forcing was lifting up and out towards Canada -- this setup has a more rapid due west to east propagation of a further south surface low, so the best forcing will not necessarily be shoved northward; but rather, eastward, and could keep up with the storms. I actually think there's a good chance that the cold front could merge with the discrete cells too quickly and force everything to be linear. However, there should be a few hour window where the mode will be discrete before the cold front's advancement -- that's when we'll have to watch out for tornadoes.

The very northern extent from SNJ to possibly CNJ could originate as elevated convection and work down to the 

surface. So we'll have to monitor later runs for exactly how far north the warm front gets.

Not sure which scenario to root for here. I was in the Mid-Atlantic Derecho last year and that was one of the few times in my life I've actually been scared of the weather. A further south track of the low would likely bring several inches of heavy rain in a short period of time to the most flood prone areas. Kind of a damned if we do, damned if we don't setup. Alot of us are severe weather nerds but I doubt any one of us has actually considered the thought of a tornado touching down in their backyard.

That's one of the factors regarding dynamics. We have a very sharp temperature gradiant for this time of year to work with.

For this time of yr thats a little ridiculous.. Mid June with a sub 1000 low passing south of LI with 40's for daytime highs 100 miles NW of the city smh..

Can you back this up? Not saying it won't trend further north, but can you provide some meteorological information to support this?

Without risking giving false information and looking like an ass, I can tell you from reading the New England sub forum thread that the track of the surface low is pretty well locked in due to the placement of the low currently over New England and a few other factors which I lack the ability to explain.

Euro is 3.24" for NYC off the sounding.

It's possible someone north of the low could see 5 inch amounts given the elevated convection potential.

I think the last two 5 inch events within a week was back in October 2005 unless I am missing one.

The August 2011 and September action was spaced more than 7 days apart.

It's possible someone north of the low could see 5 inch amounts given the elevated convection potential.

I think the last two 5 inch events within a week was back in October 2005 unless I am missing one.

The August 2011 and September action was spaced more than 7 days apart.

If the euro is showing widespread 3"-4" amounts for NYC/LI, it's a clear signal that the jackpot areas under heavier bands/convection could see upwards of 5".

Without risking giving false information and looking like an ass, I can tell you from reading the New England sub forum thread that the track of the surface low is pretty well locked in due to the placement of the low currently over New England and a few other factors which I lack the ability to explain.

Common guys, we all have seen crazier things happen. While the sever threat will most likely be to our south, I still think we need to watch this setup up closely. The trend on all the models have been north on almost every run. The Euro basically takes the low a hair south of LI (Which is a good 75 miles north than 24 hours ago.)

- I also doubt the temp contrast will set up over LI as the 4k shows. The S flow will be too strong and water temps are now close to the mid 60s (on both shores).

- This is almost a winter like system with a Sub 990 low here in June and that should be kept in context. And we all know how great the models handle those systems.

Common guys, we all have seen crazier things happen. While the sever threat will most likely be to our south, I still think we need to watch this setup up closely. The trend on all the models have been north on almost every run. The Euro basically takes the low a hair south of LI (Which is a good 75 miles north than 24 hours ago.)

- I also doubt the temp contrast will set up over LI as the 4k shows. The S flow will be too strong and water temps are now close to the mid 60s (on both shores).

- This is almost a winter like system with a Sub 990 low here in June and that should be kept in context. And we all know how great the models handle those systems.

Everything could tick south again tomorrow, this tick north is just the small run to run differences you're always going to have. The general placement of the low itself and the warm front (key here is the warm front) is pretty well locked in. It wouldn't shock me if warm front got hung up right over us.

If the euro is showing widespread 3"-4" amounts for NYC/LI, it's a clear signal that the jackpot areas under heavier bands/convection could see upwards of 5".

It's the absolute last thing many of us need after getting pounded by Andrea and the rains yesterday. The ground is saturated enough as it is.

There will only be a south wind if the low is north of you. Otherwise, it's a northeasterly flow. This will be an intense shot of rain with literally 80s/90s temperature air being lifted over the colder air north of it, plus major instability east/south of the low for thunderstorms. With that kind of air being uplifted, I could see 3-5" rain amounts for some. This will have a lot of juice.

Everything could tick south again tomorrow, this tick north is just the small run to run differences you're always going to have. The general placement of the low itself and the warm front (key here is the warm front) is pretty well locked in. It wouldn't shock me if warm front got hung up right over us.

Exactly, I think the warm front very close to LI is a better placement vs central Jersey as shown on the NAM

There will only be a south wind if the low is north of you. Otherwise, it's a northeasterly flow. This will be an intense shot of rain with literally 80s/90s temperature air being lifted over the colder air north of it, plus major instability east/south of the low for thunderstorms. With that kind of air being uplifted, I could see 3-5" rain amounts for some. This will have a lot of juice.

Not a typical looking map for June around here.

Archived