Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure Forbes just said this looks like prior F5s ('74 and others), but bigger.

In some spots it may be, there's ground scouring...but the guy on TWC about 5 mins ago talking about it being EF5 damage was standing in an area where grass was still intact and while homes were largely destroyed a couple of them still had one or to interior walls up, etc...

EF5's will generally leave nothing on the slab.

In some spots it may be, there's ground scouring...but the guy on TWC about 5 mins ago talking about it being EF5 damage was standing in an area where grass was still intact and while homes were largely destroyed a couple of them still had one or to interior walls up, etc...

EF5's will generally leave nothing on the slab.

There looked like plenty of slabs from the air. But this is why we wait for the survey crews.

This was north side of Oolagah and about a mile west of US169 on a little county road...the camera couldn't capture what was barely visible with the naked eye and that was the circulation in the distance...it was extremely tough to see right on the horizon/tree line.

944393_10201301893934407_1441403485_n.jp

This is just on the south side of Talala, literally a few blocks south of the main intersection.  At this point the tornado is about 4 miles maybe 5 to my east.

947197_10201301895134437_693558599_n.jpg

This was a couple mins later about 2.5 miles from my location and it was turning pretty hard, you could hear it pretty clearly given the distance.

264405_10201301896214464_1127653458_n.jp

Roping out

401864_10201301896814479_1780953184_n.jp

971166_10201301897294491_1521978885_n.jp

Talala dodged a major bullet here.  I would have put this as an EF2 as it was rolling into town on the west.  Then if fairly quickly weakened on the west side of town and the tornado itself didn't hardly move it's ground position during the rope out phase.  If the storm had kept its track it likely would have moved right through Talala and about .75 miles in front of me.

Sorry for the crap quality, FB compresses the snot out of pics.

Nothing is left in this section of Moore...even an entire tree has been ripped up, debarked, and thrown or rolled a long distance...note the empty, scarred foundation in the foreground...see 2:42 and afterward:

screenshot20130520at750.png

If homes were in that foreground, the scouring is the most complete since Jarrell, TX, on 05/27/1997.

There looked like plenty of slabs from the air. But this is why we wait for the survey crews.

Exactly!  Some of the air shots looked pretty bad...I don't like all the media hype around "EF5, EF5, EF5!"

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but they hype everything instead of trying to get accurate info.

Might be too soon to speculate on # of child fatalities. Early and fog of war info is often wrong, even from media.

I hope these reports are not the case.

Yeah, I don't like that reporting. Wait until an emergency response official says it at a microphone. Other outlets shouldn't be reporting it verbatim.

These southern storms are disasters. Driving through Ardmore about 20 minutes ago was the biggest whale's mouth I've ever seen... encompassed about a two-county area. Pretty sure the show's over chase-wise. Sitting on 35 at the RR thinking about just turning around at this point.

Yeah agreed. The one looked good for a while but we've been hit by more outflow than anything else today. All three supercells same thing. Next big event I'm just chilling in OKC.

I have my eye on the TW storm just west of Fayetteville, AR.  Given the somewhat strongly worded MD, concerning how primed the atmosphere is, I am starting to get a little concerned.  

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0735
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0653 PM CDT MON MAY 20 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF SERN MO / NRN AND W-CNTRL AR

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 202353Z - 210100Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...A NEW TORNADO WATCH WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED DOWNSTREAM
FROM THE EXISTING TORNADO WATCHES TO THE WEST.

DISCUSSION...SURFACE/UPPER AIR ANALYSIS INDICATES A MOIST/VERY
UNSTABLE AIRMASS RESIDES OVER AR AND THE MO OZARKS EARLY THIS
EVENING. THE 00Z/20 SGF RAOB SHOWS A DEEP/MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER
FEATURING A 14.7 MEAN MIXING RATIO...FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE STORMS.
THE EXPECTED STRENGTHENING OF THE 1-2 KM FLOW OWING TO AN
INTENSIFICATION OF THE LOW LEVEL JET THIS EVENING WILL BECOME MORE
FAVORABLE FOR STORM ROTATION. AN ADDITIONAL SUPPORTIVE FACTOR
INCLUDES A MORE FAVORABLE CONVECTIVE MODE AS THE BROKEN CONVECTIVE
BAND OF STORMS OVER ERN OK AND SWRN MO WOULD AT LEAST PROVIDE
OPPORTUNITY FOR LONGER TRACK SUPERCELLS TO MAINTAIN THEMSELVES PRIOR
TO UPSCALE GROWTH INTO A LINEAR MCS. AS A RESULT...SOME SUPERCELL
TORNADO THREAT IN ADDITION TO DMGG WINDS AND LARGE HAIL...WILL
INCREASE THIS EVENING OVER AR AND SRN MO.

..SMITH/CORFIDI.. 05/20/2013

Archived