Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging from KFDR radar, I think the dryline near there is retreating somewhat, which would seem to increase chances of repeat storms.  It seems to me things are usually quieting down when the dryline retreats, but it seems early in the day.

A bit surprised the cell SE of Wichita Falls isn't torwarned yet.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess it could have been done a scan earlier. Looks quite ominous.

WFUS54 KOUN 202206  
TOROUN  
OKC067-TXC077-202245-  
/O.NEW.KOUN.TO.W.0036.130520T2206Z-130520T2245Z/  

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
TORNADO WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK  
506 PM CDT MON MAY 20 2013  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  
SOUTHWESTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA...  
CENTRAL CLAY COUNTY IN NORTHERN TEXAS...  

* UNTIL 545 PM CDT  

* AT 503 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A  
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS  
STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR HENRIETTA...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.  

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  
HENRIETTA.  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  

TAKE COVER NOW IN A STORM SHELTER OR AN INTERIOR ROOM OF A STURDY  
BUILDING. STAY AWAY FROM DOORS AND WINDOWS.  

The TDWR was really in the perfect spot capturing the evolution at 1min intervals. Easily the most impressive reflectivity I've seen from a permanent standing radar. 

295wn4.jpg

This is remarkable imagery.

I am most intrigued with the life cycle as the storm neared, crossed, and then moved away from I-35. Near the start of the loop, the signature is that of a classic hook / debris ball. As the storm neared I-35, the signature becomes much more messy. I don't know that you're actually looking at a 2+ mile wide debris ball (as was reported on some TV stations) -- the aerial footage seems to confirm that the tornado was becoming obscured by precipitation at that point in its evolution. The circulation (seen on velocity imagery) remained much tighter than the large area of 50+ dBZ on reflectivity.

However, after it moved past the interstate (roughly 2025Z), everything becomes much better defined again -- both in the helicopter footage and on the TOKC radar images. Multiple radar bins over 65 dBZ in the debris ball for several consecutive scans.

Velocity images from TOKC showed a very common signal seen in tornadoes on TDWRs -- dealiasing failures at the center of each lobe (inbound / outbound) of the circulation.

Sounds like the kids at the school made it out alive. Wow.

CNN states via KFOR reporter that they are still searching for the 3rd grade class that was in the hallway... completely destroyed area around them... 4th to 6th grade students all accounted for... this is at Plaza Towers

I think the threat will gradually shift into N TX and far southern OK along the Red River as low level helicity begins to ramp up as the low tightens then retreats west...setting up an isallobaric response in the low levels to the impinging upper level speed max moving in from the intermountain W.

Agree, the lone show going right now is the cell in TX. The cell east of Wichita Falls is in the best environment right now. Just went tornado warned.

Archived