Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31F in Union was decent but bet MetHerb could've hit 20s if it was more clear.

There's no doubt the airmass was primed for impressive radiational cooling had we been able to clear. They got down to freezing down at IAD this morning...records tied there and at BWI.

There's no doubt the airmass was primed for impressive radiational cooling had we been able to clear. They got down to freezing down at IAD this morning...records tied there and at BWI.

Lga tied a record low and the park tied there 2nd lowest to date. Park has not been that cold at night in may since 2002. It hit 42 then also

Up to 56F here, but it bounces around a few degrees depending on the amount of sun. Should be close to freezing by morning. I think I fall just shy though.

You might have a better shot at freezing Sunday morning if you avoid cloud cover than you do tonight.

Up to 56F here, but it bounces around a few degrees depending on the amount of sun. Should be close to freezing by morning. I think I fall just shy though.

50/22 right now in town...with 40s up at the ski resort.

With dews in the low/mid 20s, hopefully we can hit the 20s by morning if clear/calm lines up.

Pretty chilly for 1pm under partly sunny skies.

image24.png

KHUL was the winner up here 28F

Only down to 28? I'm surprised, as my low was about 27 (didn't look at the recording instrument) and I'm almost never cooler than HUL unless there's a front between here and there. Yesterday's temps were 55/29, and today's high looks to be similar - actually more clouds today than yest. Nice day for a walk in the woods (Yankee Woodlot demo forest in Skowhegan), little chilly at 8 AM under the canopy but warmed up plenty once we got walking. Nary a blackfly, somewhat surprising given that I fed some of the critters last Wednesday at 1,200' at the edge of the Mahoosucs.

PF: Saw that 19(!!) on the BTV map. SLK?

What a bust today on high temps. Clouds bust the radiational cooling potential last night, but also bust the highs today. Forecast was for low 60s 24 hours ago.

Yeah, clouds moved in here around 4am and that stopped the temperature drop here at 37F and eliminated the frost potential. What's your thinking about the frost potential for tonight?

Yeah, clouds moved in here around 4am and that stopped the temperature drop here at 37F and eliminated the frost potential. What's your thinking about the frost potential for tonight?

Frost in SNE should be minimal tonight. Maybe some isolated pockets.

50/22 right now in town...with 40s up at the ski resort.

With dews in the low/mid 20s, hopefully we can hit the 20s by morning if clear/calm lines up.

Pretty chilly for 1pm under partly sunny skies.image24.png

MAV has 27F for CON...MET is 30F. Both have LCI near or at freezing too so those numbers have come down a bit over the last few runs. On good rad nights I usually estimate about a 25F drop from the afternoon's max. Right now that is 57F so it puts me in the 32F ballpark.

Some of these extreme low afternoon dews are faux to me. They'll bounce back up a bit at sunset once we lose the mixing.

MPM

WWUS71 KALY 141908
NPWALY

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
308 PM EDT TUE MAY 14 2013

MAZ001-NYZ041-043-054-083-084-VTZ013-150400-
/O.NEW.KALY.FZ.W.0003.130515T0600Z-130515T1100Z/
NORTHERN BERKSHIRE-NORTHERN SARATOGA-NORTHERN WASHINGTON-
EASTERN RENSSELAER-SOUTHEAST WARREN-SOUTHERN WASHINGTON-
BENNINGTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PITTSFIELD...NORTH ADAMS...
SARATOGA SPRINGS...WHITEHALL...GRANVILLE...HOOSICK FALLS...
GLENS FALLS...WEST GLENS FALLS...HUDSON FALLS...FORT EDWARD...
CAMBRIDGE...GREENWICH...BENNINGTON
308 PM EDT TUE MAY 14 2013

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 7 AM EDT WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A FREEZE
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 7 AM EDT WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...LAKE GEORGE SARATOGA REGION...WASHINGTON
COUNTY...NORTHERN TACONICS...NORTHERN BERKSHIRES AND BENNINGTON
COUNTY.

* TEMPERATURES...DROPPING INTO THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* IMPACTS...DAMAGE TO SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR
HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER
SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Archived