• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

Yeah, you could say that. I'm in a flat area on the side of hill in the center of town that tops out at 850' but we're surrounded by hills further out over 1000'. The center of town is around 450' so it's a bit of a bowl.

Here's a map giving an overview of the terrain:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.95215,-72.302828&spn=0.036193,0.055189&t=p&z=14

This is an older map but gives better detail:

http://broermapsonline.org/online/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates/NewEngland/Connecticut/USGS03/staffordspringsctn1-316801952.html

lol, yeah, we're directly opposite each other. You're on the hill to my south and I'm on the hill to your north. I see where you live (generally) when I'm coming down my hill.

Its all about the hills

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like my high was 55° which is only 5° above the previous low max which occurred during that rain storm that eventually mixed with IP here so it was pretty good CAA day, I think. Let's see where we wind up tonight.

Hit 55.1 here as well. Seems to jive with most of the hilly area. Miserable day. In October we'd love this but not in almost summer

Well you also have the hill heading up Plains Rd. so maybe you're in a little China bowl there

Plains Rd from 32 has to one of the steepest roads around.

I still say the best bowl in the area is Bigelow Hollow.  I'd love to see the DEP put up a station there but there's lots of good places.  The Stafford Springs treatment plant used to be the COOP for Stafford and you can compare their temps with other stations and they always did well. 

Looks like my high was 55° which is only 5° above the previous low max which occurred during that rain storm that eventually mixed with IP here so it was pretty good CAA day, I think.  Let's see where we wind up tonight.

Is your station on Wunderground?

I know, I've been following along with the climate there for this spring. Currently it's 25.8F in Fairbanks with brilliant sunshine and what must be a very strong sun angle now that the days have around 19 hours of sunlight.

Check out this webcam from the Fairbanks Climate Data Centre:

http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/

The temperature is actually falling very slowly right now, even though it's 1pm local time.

Accuweather says that they have not been above 50F since October 4th, 2012. That's amazing when you consider that next october is only 4 1/2 months away. They will probably have an amazingly short summer season this year.

Accuweather says that they have not been above 50F since October 4th, 2012. That's amazing when you consider that next october is only 4 1/2 months away. They will probably have an amazingly short summer season this year.

Huh? Maybe you meant 60F. Last time Fairbanks was above 50F was yesterday lol.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAFA/2012/10/13/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Really? I was outside

from 0800-200 with a long sleeve shirt and was warm. Perfect working conditions.

I was out from 11am -2 pm and it was chilly, especially when the clouds started rolling in and the sun dissapeared. My neighbor is out right now cutting his grass with a jacket on as it's currently 48F.

I haven't seen snow here in May since 2005 when we had some graupel/mangled flakes in one of those cold pool aloft type airmasses not too dissimilar to today. Its not all that common anyway...esp east of the Berks.

You mean west of the Berks? I feel like it happens more over upstate NY than in the Greens up this way. The Adirondacks and hills east of the lakes seem to get some May snow every few years....those cold pools seem to rot further west this time of year.

You mean west of the Berks? I feel like it happens more over upstate NY than in the Greens up this way. The Adirondacks and hills east of the lakes seem to get some May snow every few years....those cold pools seem to rot further west this time of year.

It's been snowing on-off at Killington since around 11am.

Is your station on Wunderground?

I have one - online:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCTSTAFF4

FWIW it runs warm at night and spikes during the day.  I bought a cheap station Ambient Weather station to be able to upload data so I could get an idea of what was happening while I was away.  I'd like to get something that would fit in my Stevenson screen but it's not goo to crowd the shelter to allow for airflow so I guess this is good enough for now.

I think you misread what i said..."its not all that common...esp east of the Berks"...meaning its less common east of the Berks. Those airmasses moderate much quicker in May ad its hard to get snow east of the Catskills and Berks as those airmasses quickly moderate.

Archived