• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

With the GFS and Euro showing an anomalously cold air mass for Mon-Wed of next week,I thought it would be fun to see if any low temp records are broken. Here are a few select cities in NE and their current daily lows for Mon and Tues next week, Wed could also be a possible record breaker but for now I just included Mon and Tues. Along side are GFS  low temp predictions.Note the longevity of some of these records,would be cool to break some of these. If clouds are involved one of the days might break a low high for the day.

Boston 5/13- 38 in 1882, GFS 40,  5/14- 37 in 1895, GFS 36 °

Hartford 5/13-  32 in 2010, GFS 36,  5/14- 32 in 1987, GFS 33

Worcester 5/13- 31 in 1928, GFS 35,  5/14- 33 in 1939, GFS 32

Concord 5/13- 27 in 2005, GFS 35,  5/14- 26 in 1996, GFS 31

Burlington 5/13- 30 in 2010, GFS 35,  5/14- 30 in 1967, GFS 24 °

Portland 5/13- 28 in 1962, GFS 39,  5/14- 28 in 1951, GFS 35

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread to start... but I'll eat my hat if BTV hits 24F on May 14th.

Interior ASOS stations like Morrisville-Stowe, Montpelier, and Saint Johnsbury I could see, but BTV sucks at radiational cooling in the valley where the nighttime low level jet often develops in the vicinity of the lake basin.

With those H85 temps as progged though, if the mountain valleys get a clear/calm night, there will be some cold temps realized. I'll have to post the BTV frost/freeze climo maps when I get a chance.

Since BTV has such cool graphics for a lot of their weather records, might as well use them and post them here... does BOX or GYX have anything like this we could add to the discussion?  Could turn this thread into a late season frost/freeze threat thread.

BTV and Champlain Valley spring freeze climo...Burlington is May 7th for the median value.

cpv_sp.png

And here is the interior VT stations spring freeze climo... locally at home in Morrisville-Stowe Airport it looks like May 21st is the median date.  Montpelier is May 18th.

Judging by this, I would doubt this would raise any freeze headlines for areas outside the larger valleys as its still a week prior to these dates.

cvt_sp.png

And lastly here is far NE VT, where average last freeze isn't until early June for some locations... very short growing season out there...though populated areas like Newport and St Johnsbury are in the same time frame as Morrisville-Stowe and Montpelier.  

nek_sp.png

Its not unusual for mid-May as one can see from the BTV graphics it is about the normal time of year for the last freezes.

But doesn't mean people cant talk about it. Just like every May has some 80s, every one also seems to have a cool down. No hype, just facts.

Looks like a couple of frosty mornings next week, which is nothing unusual for mid May.  Farmington's avg last 32 is May 23, the median date May 21.  They've had one year, 1937, without a May frost - last 32 or below was April 30.  Apart from the freaky 32 on July 8, 1969, their latest frost was June 26, 1979.  In 50% of years, last frost fell in the period May 15-31.  Only 10% of final frosts came before May 9, or after June 10.

none of the climo sites in NE are looking at record lows. 30-35 low temps happen every year in May. The older you get the grumpier you become. And it's been noticed by many folks FYI

Who gives a crap dude what you say, you can not be believed anyways. You have lost any credibility on this board. Why do you think its funny? Yea sure occasionally its pretty funny but now you have turned into a mockery of yourself so any post you make no one believes, and you like that???, you have not looked at the daily record lows and the progged temps, its close in several cities. 

Who gives a crap dude what you say, you can not be believed anyways. You have lost any credibility on this board. Why do you think its funny? Yea sure occasionally its pretty funny but now you have turned into a mockery of yourself so any post you make no one believes, and you like that???, you have not looked at the daily record lows and the progged temps, its close in several cities.

You certainly learn who your true friends are and are not on here. Carry on

none of the climo sites in NE are looking at record lows. 30-35 low temps happen every year in May. The older you get the grumpier you become. And it's been noticed by many folks FYI

Record lows for Tuesday...

BDL: 32 (1987)

BOS: 37 (1895)

PVD: 35 (1987)

ORH: 33 (1939)

BDR: 37 (1996)

Looks like a couple of frosty mornings next week, which is nothing unusual for mid May.  Farmington's avg last 32 is May 23, the median date May 21.  They've had one year, 1937, without a May frost - last 32 or below was April 30.  Apart from the freaky 32 on July 8, 1969, their latest frost was June 26, 1979.  In 50% of years, last frost fell in the period May 15-31.  Only 10% of final frosts came before May 9, or after June 10.

My potatoes could be crying for there momma

Archived