Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A freeze would be rare for BDL this late. It would tie for 3rd latest on record if they made it to 32F. Latest was May 20th, 2002.

Comparing that event to Tuesday's forecast..obviously not as cold of a setup, but still chilly:

2002:

052012.png

Forecast:

f120.gif

The potential problem that could result that flowering trees up this way are in bloom.  Not a big deal unless you have apple trees and get a cold snap bad enough to kill a good portion of the crop.  This happened up this way last year.  While the cold in May is certainly not unprecedented the milder springs have apparently leading to earlier flowering and greater susceptability to this late frosts.  In may not cause an issue down there in SNE but I would rather not lose my apple crop again this year.

The potential problem that could result that flowering trees up this way are in bloom.  Not a big deal unless you have apple trees and get a cold snap bad enough to kill a good portion of the crop.  This happened up this way last year.  While the cold in May is certainly not unprecedented the milder springs have apparently leading to earlier flowering and greater susceptability to this late frosts.  In may not cause an issue down there in SNE but I would rather not lose my apple crop again this year.

We lost the Red Currant here to a freeze last April when they started growing early due to the hot spring we had.

With the GFS and Euro showing an anomalously cold air mass for Mon-Wed of next week,I thought it would be fun to see if any low temp records are broken. Here are a few select cities in NE and their current daily lows for Mon and Tues next week, Wed could also be a possible record breaker but for now I just included Mon and Tues. Along side are GFS  low temp predictions.Note the longevity of some of these records,would be cool to break some of these. If clouds are involved one of the days might break a low high for the day.

Boston 5/13- 38 in 1882, GFS 40,  5/14- 37 in 1895, GFS 36 °

Hartford 5/13-  32 in 2010, GFS 36,  5/14- 32 in 1987, GFS 33

Worcester 5/13- 31 in 1928, GFS 35,  5/14- 33 in 1939, GFS 32

Concord 5/13- 27 in 2005, GFS 35,  5/14- 26 in 1996, GFS 31

Burlington 5/13- 30 in 2010, GFS 35,  5/14- 30 in 1967, GFS 24 °

Portland 5/13- 28 in 1962, GFS 39,  5/14- 28 in 1951, GFS 35

Tuesday records could be in jeopardy as it stands today

You certainly learn who your true friends are and are not on here. Carry on

Friends tell friends the truth and let them know when they have hit rock bottom. You are better than this and I do consider you a friend. I told several people yesterday you are totally different off the board, a fine community member, a great father and someone I am happy to be friends with. I just am surprised you totally took what you used to joke about to the next level and now its all hype all the time. Just sayin...

That's why the NWS always has the "hard freeze" wording when temps get into the U20s. That's what people care about unless you have very tender plants.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. I don't know of anything really that will freeze and be destroyed at an hour of 31-32 except maybe a tomato plant. The crops surely aren't effected. But temps in the upper 20's is def a crop concern

The last time I checked, 31F was below freezing, unless physical science has changed and it was below freezing here on sunday morning from 3am-7am with quite a bit of frost. Storrs was down to 30.6F and Met Herb reported 28F. Luckily my neighbor who has a large vegetable garden, did not set out her plants until sunday afternoon.

We had quite a bit of frost in my neighborhood:

Frost_zpsd9b0ad08.jpg

F1_zpsb53ef8d8.jpg

Yeah happens just about every May even in SNE. The rad spots will get a touch of frost at sunrise and a few glens and swamps will hit 28

Why do you downplay this stuff but hype normal May 70- degree temperatures?

Frost is more exciting than trying to spin 57 degree dews as being humid, lol.

850 temps of -2C to -4C with a decoupled clear atmosphere could make it pretty close to records in the rad spots. Don't think we will make the 33F at ORH though since its a terrible rad spot and 850 temps aren't quite cold enough. If it was around -6C, then I think we'd have a legit shot to break that record low.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. I don't know of anything really that will freeze and be destroyed at an hour of 31-32 except maybe a tomato plant. The crops surely aren't effected. But temps in the upper 20's is def a crop concern

Yeah if radiational conditions develop its timed right, it could be near record setting for a couple sites. Would be funny if this has more impact on crops than the damaging drought we are coming out of.

Hype it up...its something to tweet about.

850 temps of -2C to -4C with a decoupled clear atmosphere could make it pretty close to records in the rad spots. Don't think we will make the 33F at ORH though since its a terrible rad spot and 850 temps aren't quite cold enough. If it was around -6C, then I think we'd have a legit shot to break that record low.

What was the low temperature last sunday morning at ORH?

The last couple few cycles of the operational Euro have been muting this cold wave a bit.  Not sure any more how deeply cold incurs at this point. The 00z run really only got the area into -2C during the daylight hours of Tuesday, before moderating to 0+C in less than 24 hours.  That will still cool conditions back significantly over the weekend, but the previous runs were down to -4 and -6C.   

Given to trend, what verifies may only be a knock back to seasonal cool bias as opposed to anything record-like.  We'll see... 

Archived