• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

Yeah if radiational conditions develop its timed right, it could be near record setting for a couple sites. Would be funny if this has more impact on crops than the damaging drought we are coming out of.

Hype it up...its something to tweet about.

If I thought it was exciting I would certainly hype it. Hope everyone that wants to see crops killed and farmers hurt gets their wish.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note that 5 of the 10 coldest May temperatures in the Hartford area (1905-2013) have occurred since 2001.

Rank Value Ending Date
1 28 5/1/2008, 5/7/2001, 5/4/1985, 5/9/1956, 5/10/1947
6 29 5/11/2010, 5/9/1985
8 30 5/5/2005, 5/20/2002, 5/3/1964

The last couple few cycles of the operational Euro have been muting this cold wave a bit.  Not sure any more how deeply cold incurs at this point. The 00z run really only got the area into -2C during the daylight hours of Tuesday, before moderating to 0+C in less than 24 hours.  That will still cool conditions back significantly over the weekend, but the previous runs were down to -4 and -6C.   

Given to trend, what verifies may only be a knock back to seasonal cool bias as opposed to anything record-like.  We'll see... 

this would be the most vulnerable time period for records its seems. Tuesday AM 850's

Note that 5 of the 10 coldest May temperatures in the Hartford area (1905-2013) have occurred since 2001.

Rank Value Ending Date

1 28 5/1/2008, 5/7/2001, 5/4/1985, 5/9/1956, 5/10/1947

6 29 5/11/2010, 5/9/1985

8 30 5/5/2005, 5/20/2002, 5/3/1964

There was quite a rant of a facebook post on Accuweather from a fellow commenting on the potential frost  early next week. He cited the fact that it's been such a harsh winter in North America and Europe as proof that Global Warming is a myth.

There was quite a rant of a facebook post on Accuweather from a fellow commenting on the potential frost  early next week. He cited the fact that it's been such a harsh winter in North America and Europe as proof that Global Warming is a myth.

GW is a climate issue not an event issue. I wish the media would learn that. climate is generational not daily, monthly, yearly. 

Have him compare the instance of record highs vs. record lows over the past few decades...

If I thought it was exciting I would certainly hype it. Hope everyone that wants to see crops killed and farmers hurt gets their wish.

LOL that doesn't mean people want crops killed. You mega-hyped the dry period but I doubt you were wishing for farmers to get hurt.

lol, It is, Probably more so for SNE then here, Its not that unusual like i had said earlier up here

Do you know of GYX CWA climo for spring freeze? I posted the VT data from BTV earlier in the thread and about the third week in May is the usual last freeze for areas away from Lake Champlain. Id assume that's similar for GYX away from the coast.

Do you know of GYX CWA climo for spring freeze? I posted the VT data from BTV earlier in the thread and about the third week in May is the usual last freeze for areas away from Lake Champlain. Id assume that's similar for GYX away from the coast.

I think its about the same here as well, 3rd week of May,  I don't plant anything above ground until memorial weekend to be safe

Yeah that's what I was getting at. I don't know of anything really that will freeze and be destroyed at an hour of 31-32 except maybe a tomato plant. The crops surely aren't effected. But temps in the upper 20's is def a crop concern

Cucurbits, if anyone is impatient enough to have outplanted them. IMO, far more frost-sensitive than tomatos.

Edit: PF, I only have long-term frost/freeze data for Farmington, though I'd guess GYX would have it for, say, PWM/LEW/AUG, maybe IZG. I could add MBY info later, but that's only 15 yr and I'm in a definite frost pocket, which would skew the data (as IZG would skew an average of the other stations noted above.)

euro back to being more aggressive with the cold Tuesday morning

Close to records for several of the SNE sites on the 2m temps. Just above record threshold from my estimation. I'm kind of thinking that is how it will play out...near record, but not quite.

Average BDL highs next week should be in the low 70's...

Here are the BDL normal max/mins for next week and Brad's forecast...

S: 70 | 66

M: 70/47 | 61/39

T: 71/47 | 66/37

W: 71/47 | 69/43

Sunday's low was omitted since it should be a late 5z min.

Here are the BDL normal max/mins for next week and Brad's forecast...

S: 70 | 66

M: 70/47 | 61/39

T: 71/47 | 66/37

W: 71/47 | 69/43

Sunday's low was omitted since it should be a late 5z min.

Lack of climo knowledge FTL.

Looks like one coolish day then normal to above.

@BradNBCCT: Inland CT forecast for next 7-days...tomorrow, mixed sun and clouds, high approaching 80! http://t.co/7Ezl0D1YBs

BOX dropping temps to about -10F of normal with potential for frost/freeze. Sounds about what most on here are talking about. But yes ignore it and hype the potential for the exciting slightly above normal temps in the day 7-10 range.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUES... UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL CONTINUE ITS EASTWARD PUSH TOWARDS NEW ENGLAND. GOOD AMOUNT OF SUBSTANCES BEHIND THE FRONT ON SUNDAY ALLOWING FOR SOME GUSTY WINDS AND LOW DEWPOINTS. TEMPS WILL FALL AFTER SUNDAY AS UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AXIS MOVES ACROSS SNE PUSHING A THERMAL TROUGH OVER THE AREA. TEMPS WILL DROP 10 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL WITH MONDAY BEING THE COOLEST... UPPER 50S TO LOW 60S FOR HIGHS. WILL NEED TO WATCH FOR POSSIBLE FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES FOR THE BEGINNING OF NEXT WEEK AS WELL.

Archived