12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HIE had 32F on 7/27/01 and 31F on 7/28/01. I'm sure BML will pull it off eventually too.

First Ct Lake had 29F on that 7/2/92 date...not much of a growing season there that summer thanks to Pinatubo. They had a couple of below freezing lows in early July of 1962 too.

Yeah those dates just blow my mind...getting a freeze prior to July 4th, that almost seems like a late season freeze instead of a fall one lol.

Yeah those dates just blow my mind...getting a freeze prior to July 4th, that almost seems like a late season freeze instead of a fall one lol.

Only July frost I've seen was 7/31/78 in Ft.Kent.  Took out my pumpkins and my next-door neighbor's beans.  That year had several 32-or-below days in August, including a morning at 28.

Latest 32 at my current place was 6/13, earliest 9/1.  My avg growing season is 116 days, with last spring frost avg May 24, first frost avg Sept 18.  That's 2 days shorter thn the Farmington COOP, one at each end.

Yeah...not sure how it's mundane...it's a decently cold airmass for this time of year. For CON M-T-W the MAV/MEX has 34-31-31 and the MET has 32-30-n/a. Not bad.

I don't know....I just remember many a May cold shot with chillier temps but remember I'm not inland where perhaps it will perform better. It looked less mundane here a few days ago.

Euro suggests Tuesday/Tuesday evening will be the chilliest time wrt normal.

Yeah but Monday afternoon with CAA will be chilly. As I stated in the original post will be close in some inland spots. Places like PVD and BDR were not included, I still think BOS has an outside shot.

May has two different types of cold airmass. Continental polar and maritime polar. Maritime polar gives us our coldest max temps since it's usually accompanied by onshore flow and precip.

This will be more continental. Certainly not the coldest airmass, but respectable for sure.

This cold shot looks the same as it did to me a couple days ago. Close to record lows in a few spots, but not quite.

Its no May 18-20, 2002...but it will be pretty cold/frosty for many for a morning or two early next week.

38 on the 14th for BOS is the record, seems vulnerable.

That's the 13th record low...the 14th record low is 37F. But both of those lows were prior to 1921 when the site wasn't at Logan Airport. The Logan Airport record is 39F for each day...it will be impressive they get under 40F. Don't think they will though. Probably lower 40s.

That's the 13th record low...the 14th record low is 37F. But both of those lows were prior to 1921 when the site wasn't at Logan Airport. The Logan Airport record is 39F for each day...it will be impressive they get under 40F. Don't think they will though. Probably lower 40s.

OT but 2/9/34 is a year pre Logan right?

That Feb 1934 month is the only month colder than January 2004 at Logan Airport. Normaly you would think the coldest January on record should be the coldest month also...since January is colder than February...but not the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_International_Airport

but you're right. I think it was -12 in DC.

I believe the weather obs started there before the airport opened officially. Becuase there is a break in the METAdata in 1921 and NCDC also lists Logan obs as starting in 1921. Its possible that's wrong though...either way it doesn't make much of a difference.

That Feb 1934 month is the only month colder than January 2004 at Logan Airport. Normaly you would think the coldest January on record should be the coldest month also...since January is colder than February...but not the case.

With 32.9 of snow, sweet combo, winds were ferocious per news reports.

Archived