12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know where you live. Those farm fields over there radiate like a mofo. I always think that's a prime spot for a TOR whenever I drive by there

But it sucked last night as it stayed around 38F here while it was 30F in Willimantic. The cold air formed in the valley's/hollows last night.

Wow, June 4th 1986?   Luckily I wasn't quite born yet, but that had to be brutal.  Did it turn out to be a cool summer overall that year?

1986 was a very chilly summer in New England. All 3 months below average.

It certainly was a cool summer...my coolest since I started keeping records with an average of temp of 52.

Well you would know since you were at BOX. I'm having no luck though. Maybe Will will recall.

I don't remember any outbreak that was that cold in July. Its really hard to get below 40F in July in SNE. Almost impossible. My guess is the early June 1997 cold outbreak.  I don't remember one in 1996, though there might have been

Have you seen the flat fields where the old Gottier farm used to be off Sugar Hill Rd across from Leela Way?

My parents said a small funnel touched down there about 15-20 years ago back when it was still a farm...

Yup, that's my main running route on weekends. That's where that meso site at 850 is located on Wunderground. On Leela

I don't remember any outbreak that was that cold in July. Its really hard to get below 40F in July in SNE. Almost impossible. My guess is the early June 1997 cold outbreak.  I don't remember one in 1996, though there might have been

Maybe I had a CtBlizz moment regarding dates and it is virtually impossible to get that cold in July. I think they were mentioning some areas getting into the 30s...but we are getting into the fuzzy area of my memory.

Does anyone have the record cold high/low for the month of July, for BOS/ORH?  That's interesting to me.  Is that available on the NWS site?

Its on the NWS site in the monthly records area...though it hasn't been updated since 2002. Though no monthly records in July have been broken since then, so its valid.

Record low for ORH in July: 41F (July 12, 1945 and July 15, 1946)

Record low for BOS in July: 50F (July 1, 1988 and July 6, 1879)

Record low max for ORH in July: 55F (July 4, 1978)

Record low max for BOS in July: 60F (happened 9 times...most recent July 4, 1978)

Its on the NWS site in the monthly records area...though it hasn't been updated since 2002. Though no monthly records in July have been broken since then, so its valid.

Record low max for BOS in July: 60F (happened 9 times...most recent July 4, 1978) - not 1979? as that was a cold period in New England.

Record low max for BOS in July: 60F (happened 9 times...most recent July 4, 1978) - not 1979? as that was a cold period in New England.

Wait until Pavlov reeks havoc on the atmosphere.

Nope, it was 1978.

I was just looking at the weather records for Mt Washington for July 1979 and it snowed there on July 4th and 5th and the mountain stayed in the 30's on July 6th. That's some cold weather for early July. I know from old timer reports that it snowed across the higher summits in Vermont as well.

Record low max for BOS in July: 60F (happened 9 times...most recent July 4, 1978)

Thanks, every time I look on that site it sems like a big maze of links.  I would have thought BOS would have been <60F for the record high.  Interesting the back-to-back years of 41F at ORH.

I was just looking at the weather records for Mt Washington for July 1979 and it snowed there on July 4th and 5th and the mountain stayed in the 30's on July 6th. That's some cold weather for early July. I know from old timer reports that it snowed across the higher summits in Vermont as well.

ORH did have a high of 61F on 7/5/79 which was one off the record low max for that date...so it was def cold. They also had a low of 48F on that day which was 3F shy of the record. 7/6/79 had a low of 47F which is a record low for that date.

But yeah 1978 was its own cold episode...just coincidence that 1979 also had a cold snap too around the same time.

ORH did have a high of 61F on 7/5/79 which was one off the record low max for that date...so it was def cold. They also had a low of 48F on that day which was 3F shy of the record. 7/6/79 had a low of 47F which is a record low for that date.

But yeah 1978 was its own cold episode...just coincidence that 1979 also had a cold snap too around the same time.

Folks where freaking out that the United States was entering another ice age in the late 1970's after some especially brutal winters from 1975-1979. Newsweek had it's famous "The next ice age" headline in April of 1975.

Folks where freaking out that the United States was entering another ice age in the late 1970's after some especially brutal winters from 1975-1979. Newsweek had it's famous "The next ice age" headline in April of 1975.

The coldest 3 winter period on record for the CONUS is 1976-1977 though 1978-1979...including the coldest on record which was 1978-1979. The "warm" winter of that trio was 1976-1977 which 11th coldest on record.

The coldest 3 winter period on record for the CONUS is 1976-1977 though 1978-1979...including the coldest on record which was 1978-1979. The "warm" winter of that trio was 1976-1977 which 11th coldest on record.

I was just reading about the January 1977 blizzard in Buffalo and this snippet from the Wikipedia article is amazing, especially the snow in the Bahamas and Miami:

Winter of 1976–1977 [edit]

Weather conditions during the months leading up to the blizzard allowed the blizzard to have the impacts it did. A high-amplitude planetary wave pattern set up,[1] which was very persistent from October 1976 through January 1977, and involved a ridge over western North America and a trough over eastern North America.[2] In January 1977, this pattern persisted, with the pressure of the strong ridge over western North America being more than two standard deviations from the mean, while the strong trough centered over eastern North America was more than three standard deviations from the mean.[2]

A strong blocking high developed over the Arctic Ocean during January, and this moved the polar vortex to southern Canada, south of its normal location.[3] Strong northwest flow between the ridge and the trough resulted in a strong northwest flow in between, which ushered Arctic air into the central and eastern United States.[3] The circulation helped cause record cold for the winter over many portions of the eastern United States, with the Ohio Valley averaging more than 8 °F (4 °C) below normal.[1] The severe winter was not limited to the northeastern United States; snow was observed in Miami, Florida, on January 20, and snow mixed with rain occurred in the Bahamas.[4]

Oddly tonight's the coldest the house has been all week, 61

I noticed that tends to happen at my place, too.  It's lag.  The changes outside (obviously) happen much faster than the interior, so there is an interior memory ...of sort.

But the DPs came up and the temp isn't falling much tonight with this warm front, but the temps are still LESS than 61, so despite the warmer air mass, there is still transfer -- albeit slower.  Momentum toward cooling the inside is still there, though.   

That means rains are shoved south then. Lol it went from Sultan to Sun and shiver at night. GFS FTW?

We get rain during the week before the weekend on the Euro. But yeah, this would at least mean the weekend stays dry...but its really chilly.

Doesnt mean much yet. Ensembles were pretty soggy for the weekend, but hopefully most of the rain is confiend to Thu/Fri.

Archived