• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

Quad Cities made it to 94 most of Iowa were in the upper 90s today Minneapolis was 98, it isn't like it was one isolated area that was extremely hot today and the drought is a huge factor for the summer, unlike the winter, we both know this.

How many other times though have we seen decent heat in May or heck early June and the summer turn out cooler then normal etc? Many or do i need to list them?

Yes the drought tends to favor heat but again a drought is not the end all either and many things can over power it. Just like floods etc droughts come and go as well and you can have cool summers with massive drought and a hot wet summer as well. The drought has been receding to the west as well since it's peak a few month's back. It is also well known that what happened last March played a big role as well on the summer outcome as well as the drought. Anyways the drought is not the end all either. We could end up on the hotter side via the bermuda ridge which would have zero to do with the drought as is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many other times though have we seen decent heat in May or heck early June and the summer turn out cooler then normal etc? Many or do i need to list them?

Yes the drought tends to favor heat but again a drought is not the end all either and many things can over power it. Just like floods etc droughts come and go as well and you can have cool summers with massive drought and a hot wet summer as well. The drought has been receding to the west as well since it's peak a few month's back. It is also well known that what happened last March played a big role as well on the summer outcome as well as the drought. Anyways the drought is not the end all either. We could end up on the hotter side via the bermuda ridge which would have zero to do with the drought as is.

I am not basing the call specifically on the drought alone, again that would be foolish to do that. However I do think it is a large factor especially considering how expanse it is even compared to last year. Yes flooding rains can factor in, however we just had flooding rains and then it warmed right up right after that, plus looking through the next 15 days there is no signal of flooding rains coming back.

I am not basing the call specifically on the drought alone, again that would be foolish to do that. However I do think it is a large factor especially considering how expanse it is even compared to last year. Yes flooding rains can factor in, however we just had flooding rains and then it warmed right up right after that, plus looking through the next 15 days there is no signal of flooding rains coming back.

Yeah see a hot and humid summer. So yeah as said i know flooding rains are not the end all either. IF it is widespread they could have a impact though but like with the drought a slew of things can overpower it.

As for the next 15 days.. That front hanging out close by and a slow moving system moving across the region could change things up a bit. Both the GFS and euro shows it. Hopefully we get some nice action going as the boredom is killing me. IF the models are correct especially about that system tracking across the region ( as they show it currently ) i think we will see some decent action.

Yeah see a hot and humid summer. So yeah as said i know flooding rains are not the end all either. IF it is widespread they could have a impact though but like with the drought a slew of things can overpower it.

As for the next 15 days.. That front hanging out close by and a slow moving system moving across the region could change things up a bit. Both the GFS and euro shows it. Hopefully we get some nice action going as the boredom is killing me. IF the models are correct especially about that system tracking across the region ( as they show it currently ) i think we will see some decent action.

I certainly hope there's some action.  Could actually use some decent rain around here about now.  Don't want to go straight from swampmageddon April to a boring dry summer like last.

Orioles really showed up today and devoured the orange station and the suet feeder filled with grapes I and the neighbor had put out last week  She also had her first sighting of hummers at her feeder today.  Hopefully i can get some pics of the Orioles tomorrow but, they tend to be very shy whenever I have camera in hand.

Nice breeze out there, to bad I have no windows except in the kitchen to enjoy it.

I don't get many orioles (<10 each year), but they've been on schedule so far.  My count is up to 4.  Hummers, however, were late arriving and I've only seen two so far.  (I did get a rufous hummer back in late April).

I don't get many orioles (<10 each year), but they've been on schedule so far.  My count is up to 4.  Hummers, however, were laMe arriving and I've only seen two so far.  (I did get a rufous hummer back in late April).

I never see them here, but I don't have a feeder out...  My brother gets them coming into his hummingbird feeder...  I've heard jam works well?

Sitting at 77° right now. Only had a low of 70° this morning. Allergies are kinda bad this morning.

I've seen Orioles here, but not very often and not every year. I have seen four Bluebirds in the area this spring - been a long time since I've seen more than one or two within a month!

Sitting at 77° right now. Only had a low of 70° this morning. Allergies are kinda bad this morning.

I've seen Orioles here, but not very often and not every year. I have seen four Bluebirds in the area this spring - been a long time since I've seen more than one or two within a month!

That heat burst and those dry SW winds last night with little rain did allergy sufferers no favors.

We were just surprised by a very thin line of storms.  The air is very dry so the rain was much lighter than radar suggested, but we did get a few pieces of pea-size hail.

Yeah some of the tops are up to 34kft on the latest few scans.  Nothing as far as rainfall in the point tonight.  Looks like the line should make it through here in tact, so that forecast will bust.  Dew is only 42 right now, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Hit 83 today.  Warm, but 11 degrees cooler than yesterday.

Yeah some of the tops are up to 34kft on the latest few scans.  Nothing as far as rainfall in the point tonight.  Looks like the line should make it through here in tact, so that forecast will bust.  Dew is only 42 right now, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Hit 83 today.  Warm, but 11 degrees cooler than yesterday.

Nevermind, the line **** the bed.

Had a virga storm go overhead earlier today. Apparently a few drops went a good way down as we had a nice rainbow

Noticed a rainbow around 6pm today under a very light shower here.

Nice evening around 60°.

In regards to possible drought conditions returning, Steinwedel at IWX mentions it in this morning's disco.  This is how it begins.

OTRWS VERY DRY MONTH SO FAR YIELDING A GROWING POS FEEDBACK LOOP INDIURNAL TEMP TRENDS AND THUS ADJUSTED MAXES HIGHER/MINS LOWER.

In regards to possible drought conditions returning, Steinwedel at IWX mentions it in this morning's disco. This is how it begins.

OTRWS VERY DRY MONTH SO FAR YIELDING A GROWING POS FEEDBACK LOOP IN
DIURNAL TEMP TRENDS AND THUS ADJUSTED MAXES HIGHER/MINS LOWER.

I didn't realize just how bad some of the May deficits are out there. FWA only has 0.33" which is less than 20% of average.

Picked up 0.11" here overnight.

At most of us have a big moisture surplus for the year so far. Hopefully the area near i-80/i-90 can get a couple MCS's this month to raise the area out of the 5-25% range.

Early next week could remove the deficits for the month for at least part of the area.

Archived