Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mammatus clouds being reported at MKE

KMKE 150152Z 22011KT 10SM FEW070TCU SCT140 BKN250CB 18/10 A2964 RMK AO2 SLP035 TCU N MOV E CBMAM OHD T01780100

Timmerman Airport reported a 39mph gust.

Edit - MKE reported a 40kt gust.

Showers have arrived, but with little wind.

Another warning further south near the border. Now I hear thunder.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGWIC105-127-150345-/O.NEW.KMKX.SV.W.0006.130515T0254Z-130515T0345Z/BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTEDSEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI954 PM CDT TUE MAY 14 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SULLIVAN HAS ISSUED A* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...  SOUTHEASTERN ROCK COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN...  SOUTHERN WALWORTH COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN...* UNTIL 1045 PM CDT* AT 953 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR DARIEN...AND  MOVING EAST AT 75 MPH.  HAZARD...70 MPH WIND GUSTS.  SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.  IMPACT...EXPECT CONSIDERABLE TREE DAMAGE. DAMAGE IS LIKELY TO           MOBILE HOMES...ROOFS AND OUTBUILDINGS.* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...  FONTANA-ON-GENEVA LAKE AND WILLIAMS BAY AROUND 1000 PM CDT.  PELL LAKE AND LAKE GENEVA AROUND 1005 PM CDT.  GENOA CITY AROUND 1010 PM CDT.

April and May snow storm bring wildfires

Crews from Wisconsin and Minnesota are rushing into northwestern Wisconsin to try to control a wildfire that prompted evacuations in the sparsely populated area.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources reports several structures have been destroyed. No injuries have been reported.

Residents are being evacuated from lake homes and cabins in the Rock Lake, Loon Lake, Murray Lake and Beauregard Lake areas. DNR spokesman Bill Cosh said 150 people from the Potawatomi Village are being evacuated.

Cosh said the fire has jumped Wisconsin 27. The fire covers 5.5 square miles.

Douglas County Emergency Management Director Keith Kesler told the Duluth News Tribune that the fire was moving into Bayfield County.

Air tankers and scoop planes from both Wisconsin and Minnesota are being used to drop water on the fire.

ejzzfq.jpg

Back from seeing WIcked at South Bend this evening.  Delightfully warm. About 30 water rescue personnel were practicing on the East race whitewater.  Wet suits, strapped life preserver, and hard hats..  Dropped into the water back first.  They are from South Bend, Elkhart, Mishawaka, and IN DNR.  Very interesting to watch.  Then I was really surprised to come home and see svr wx near Milwaukee.

Milwaukee timmerman airport is sitting at 77f as if 935pm. This is after dropping into the lower 60s earlier this evening. So much for comfortable sleeping weather.

was always a full nude and fan on high night..  hope you get power back soon!   Nice gusty winds of 40+ here and a 15 min light soaker.  Not being closer to fully leafed out like inland more might have helped some but, 45 mph winds or so never really effects power here leaf out or not.

Temperature keeps going up. Now 65°. Still near 80 out by Janesville.

Warning expired.

BowMe - how did the snowstorm bring the wildfire!?

it didn't lol..  i was just being an idiot with the ole saying april showers bring may flowers.

VERY LATEST: Massive wildfire reported in Douglas County-- Germann Road Fire as of 1930

Barnes, Wis. –This afternoon a wildfire was reported southwest of the Township of Barnes in Douglas County and is reported to have burned 3500 acres and several structures and is still growing. The cause of the wildfire is still under investigation. No injuries have been reported. Evacuations are underway near Loon Lake, Sand Lake and Murray Lake. Several seasonal homeowners reside in the area and more structures are threatened.

Several DNR units have arrived on scene and several more have been ordered. Units include 7 DNR tractor plows, 2 heavy dozers, 2 air attack planes and 4 single engine air tankers (2 from Wisconsin and 2 from Minnesota) are aggressively working the fire. Four local fire departments and two USDA Forest Service engines are also assisting with suppression efforts. Sixteen more DNR tractor plows are en route. The Northwest District incident management team has been activated and the command post is at the DNR Barnes Ranger Station. Douglas County and Bayfield County Emergency Management are also on scene assisting the incident.

The fire is roughly six miles long and about a mile wide at the widest point. The fire is traveling northeast and is burning in pine and mixed hardwoods. Today’s weather conditions resulted in high fire danger with DNR suspending outdoor burning in the area. Contributing factors include warm temperatures, low relative humidity and very windy conditions.

Winds at this hour are at 9 mph with gusts up to 24 mph, and the temperature is 87 degrees with relative humidity at 23%. At this time, it is too early to predict when fire fighters will have the wildfire under control.

Cooler temperatures and an increase in humidity expected overnight. However, a shift in winds out of the northwest and similar conditions to today could create challenges with firefighting tactics if the fire continues into tomorrow. Stay tuned to local media outlets for updates.

it didn't lol..  i was just being an idiot with the ole saying april showers bring may flowers.

O, lol. Didn't catch that.

This gusty shower fizzled. Only shifted the winds.

Edit: Almost up to 70° again.

Orioles really showed up today and devoured the orange station and the suet feeder filled with grapes I and the neighbor had put out last week  She also had her first sighting of hummers at her feeder today.  Hopefully i can get some pics of the Orioles tomorrow but, they tend to be very shy whenever I have camera in hand.

Nice breeze out there, to bad I have no windows except in the kitchen to enjoy it.

This might be a signal for those who might be calling for a cooler summer, it literally took nothing for the plains to roast today. Hell these same areas had snow just 2 weeks ago. I am really liking my all OVER call for this summer in the summer 90 degree contest.

SIGH.. No it is not a signal. You of all people should know better. And people wonder so many laugh at this profession.

SIGH.. No it is not a signal. You of all people should know better. And people wonder so many laugh at this profession.

Why isn't it, there is a huge drought out there and that area blistered today extremely easily. Nice insult on the profession though when someone makes a call.

Why isn't it, there is a huge drought out there and that area blistered today extremely easily. Nice insult on the profession though when someone makes a call.

My point had to do with the mention of how hot it got in Omaha to make the case for a hot summer. Ask anyone who does such calls for a living. There is a ton more involved then a drought as well. Various things all around the globe from the tropics on north can influence the outcome. FYI.. Most of what we had last year is gone. Only thing really left from last year is the drought. Ofcourse there is other ways to bring on the heat or colder outcome as well.

It would be like someone saying because it was record cold in some places yesterday that the summer will be colder as well. Not how it works.

My point had to do with the mention of how hot it got in Omaha to make the case for a hot summer. Ask anyone who does such calls for a living. There is a ton more involved then a drought as well. Various things all around the globe from the tropics on north can influence the outcome. FYI.. Most of what we had last year is gone. Only thing really left from last year is the drought. Ofcourse there is other ways to bring on the heat or colder outcome as well.

Quad Cities made it to 94 most of Iowa were in the upper 90s today Minneapolis was 98, it isn't like it was one isolated area that was extremely hot today and the drought is a huge factor for the summer, unlike the winter, we both know this.

Archived