joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

86° for the official high at UGN. Lake breeze knocked it down 10° after 3pm today. Might have been able to tack on another degree with a later wind shift.

Feels pretty good outside now. 

Yesterday I was almost shivering outside and today I was sweating. 56° turn-around in about 32-34 hours.

86° for the official high at UGN. Lake breeze knocked it down 10° after 3pm today. Might have been able to tack on another degree with a later wind shift.

Feels pretty good outside now. 

Yesterday I was almost shivering outside and today I was sweating. 56° turn-around in about 32-34 hours.

Only hit mid to upper 70s here, and has been dropping pretty consistently since about 3pm.  Strange to see such a large contrast between us and much of the Midwest.  Even your typical lake breeze day is not this stark, from 60s in Milwaukee the past couple hours to 90s in Minneapolis, Des Moines, 100F at Omaha.

Only hit mid to upper 70s here, and has been dropping pretty consistently since about 3pm.  Strange to see such a large contrast between us and much of the Midwest.  Even your typical lake breeze day is not this stark, from 60s in Milwaukee the past couple hours to 90s in Minneapolis, Des Moines, 100F at Omaha.

I think the lake breeze was set off by the rain cooled air that moved across western WI today. Otherwise I think the off shore winds would have allowed Milwaukee to get as warm as it was here.

Interesting update from DVN on those gusty storms over Iowa...

.UPDATE...
ISSUED AT 539 PM CDT TUE MAY 14 2013

ISOLATED SHOWERS AND STORMS HAVE FORMED OVER NORTHEAST IOWA
THROUGH CENTRAL IOWA ALONG THE FRONT. THIS CONVECTION IS SUPER
HIGH BASED...AND MUCH MORE LIKE FRONT RANGE STORMS OUT WEST.
THUS...A VERY DEEP INVERTED V SOUNDING ENVIRONMENT IS ALLOWING THE
RELATIVELY PUNY CONVECTION TO PRODUCE ISOLATED SEVERE WIND GUSTS

OVER NORTHERN IOWA AT THIS TIME. I HAVE ISSUED AN SPS FOR
THIS...AS IT MAY CONTINUE TO PRODUCE THIS CHALLENGING
WIND THREAT AS IS ENTERS THE CWA IN THE NEXT TWO HOURS. POPS HAVE
BEEN PLACED TO ACCOUNT FOR THE BAND OF CONVECTION...BUT HELD TO 20
PERCENT COVERAGE.

I think the lake breeze was set off by the rain cooled air that moved across western WI today. Otherwise I think the off shore winds would have allowed Milwaukee to get as warm as it was here.

I'm not complaining, actually was just out and it is a wee bit nippy on the 2nd floor deck (in the shade).  I'll bet in the sun it feels just perfect.  Some showers/isolated boomers would cap off a nice weather day.

Omaha hit 101....the previous record for the date was 96 in 1915.  

It's their earliest 100-degree temp on record by a mile...the previous earliest was 102 on 5/29/1934.

This might be a signal for those who might be calling for a cooler summer, it literally took nothing for the plains to roast today. Hell these same areas had snow just 2 weeks ago. I am really liking my all OVER call for this summer in the summer 90 degree contest.

8 PM temps in the LOT CWA:

Waukegan               57 (after hitting 86 earlier today)

ORD                        71 (after hitting 91 earlier today)

Palwaukee               75

DuPage Airport        78

RFD                         84

Yeah you aren't kidding, GR3 showing 70kts at 1400' that is some big time wind just off the surface on a storm that looks like crap on reflectivity.

We were eerily calm for awhile, and we still aren't experiencing much wind here, but I heard in Muskego (SW suburb) they are experiencing the windstorm.

Looks like the winds are picking up over Racine County now.

One damage report.

0815 PM TSTM WND DMG MARSHALL 43.17N 89.06W
05/14/2013 DANE WI TRAINED SPOTTER

6 INCH TREE LIMBS DOWN, SIDING, GUTTERS, DOWNSPOUTS TORN
OFF HOUSE

We were eerily calm for awhile, and we still aren't experiencing much wind here, but I heard in Muskego (SW suburb) they are experiencing the windstorm.

Give it a bit, unless you guys have cooled off too much at the surface then the winds might have a hard time busting through the inversion unless it is very shallow which I bet is the case.

Archived