joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was the 3rd consecutive 80 degree temp here. Since 1888, there have been 43 streaks of at least 7 days with 80+ degree temps in the LAF area (using COOP records from 1888 to 1963, airport records thereafter) in the month of May. Streaks that start late in May have an obvious climo advantage and to keep things short, I'll just list the streaks that began on or before May 14, which is when this year's streak began.

Dates/# of Days

May 13-June 1, 1977: 20

May 13-May 26, 1962: 14

April 29-May 10, 1895: 12

May 11-May 22, 1944: 12

May 3-May 13, 1896: 11

May 11-May 20, 1982: 10

May 2-May 10, 1934: 9

April 26-May 3, 1899: 8

May 14-May 21, 1911: 8

May 4-May 11, 1930: 8

May 10-May 17, 1991: 8

May 13-May 20, 1998: 8

May 13-May 19, 1903: 7

May 6-May 12, 1993: 7

If it can survive the next couple days, which is a big question, then shouldn't have a problem getting past a week.

Looks like a perfect afternoon.  After starting out in the 70s this morning, it has now cooled off to the mid 60s thanks to the backdoor front.  A bit of a breeze, but should feel perfect in the sun.

Indeed it was a perfect spring day.  8:37 AM high of 74..   Down in to the 60's when you crawled out of bed at 10 AM.  It was cool feeling the temp drop hr by hr down to the 50's by 2 PM and 56 now.  Blue bird sky all day...   3 more perfect late spring days on tap with high's in the 50's tomorrow rising to the upper 60's by Sunday for the Cystic Fibrosis walk.  Hopefully a little rain early next week but, I'm not holding my breath for anything more than a little with nothing exciting severe wise though hopefully for you we can pull out at least a few garden variety t-showers periods.  

GFS finally get us out to June!  I'm curious to what this summer brings.  Hard to bet against an above normal summer..  Just gotta hope the ridging stays in check and not bringing boring and hot +20 850's all the way up through Hudson Bay.

86F here today...actually finally feels and looks like summer...very little wind today and add in the sun and it was really hot out there, although humidity was very comfortable...still sweating like a pig on my bike ride.  Noticed that the trees look like they are fully leafed out finally... 

The weather has certainly been great recently.  However, it has been nearly two weeks since it last rained more than 0.10".  The subsoil mositure is fine thanks to three 3+" rain events in recent weeks, but an inch early next week would be nice.  No matter how much rain fell earlier in the season, you don't want to start going 2-3+ weeks without any as we head into the hot season.

Got 80s in the point here tomorrow through mon.  The cold spring and now the above average temps lately make it feel like we've gone from winter straight into summer.  Really doesn't feel like we had a spring this year. 

Lake Michigan giving us the opposite problem...prolonged spring with temps in the 60s-70s for the foreseable future.

Lake Michigan giving us the opposite problem...prolonged spring with temps in the 60s-70s for the foreseable future.

I would hardly call that a problem, since the common complaint is usually jumping right from winter to summer with no spring.  This weekend and early next week will give us more typical late spring/early summer weather.

Not quite wx, but a 5.2 quake struck near Ottawa, Canada felt widespread across Southern Ontario, Southern Quebec, and the Northeast. It was followed by 4.2 10 minutes later south of the location. They evacuated a few buildings in Kitchener/Waterloo where I'm from. No reports of damage yet, but it was stronger than the June 2010 5.0 which causes significant damage and sinkholes in southern Quebec.

I would hardly call that a problem, since the common complaint is usually jumping right from winter to summer with no spring.  This weekend and early next week will give us more typical late spring/early summer weather.

yeah, problem is the wrong word.  It has been very nice just boring as all get out and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Not quite wx, but a 5.2 quake struck near Ottawa, Canada felt widespread across Southern Ontario, Southern Quebec, and the Northeast. It was followed by 4.2 10 minutes later south of the location. They evacuated a few buildings in Kitchener/Waterloo where I'm from. No reports of damage yet, but it was stronger than the June 2010 5.0 which causes significant damage and sinkholes in southern Quebec.

Slept through it.... again! 

yeah, problem is the wrong word.  It has been very nice just boring as all get out and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

I don't think Monday and Tuesday of next week will be this same 'boring', but in the medium range, there looks to be no major heat, so if that is part of this boring pattern, then yes.

Kind of odd to be this far into May, and not see any threads created for individual severe events, and just the one "catch all" thread for discussing the medium range outlook.   Not holding out hope for Monday. While I am enjoying the weather, it's been pretty boring. 

For some reason, a couple of maps that I have seen for the possibilities of Severe Weather for Monday, seem to cover N IL, with the exception of a little area around Chicago.  Every point W, N, and S of the Chicago area has the possibility of storms Sunday and Monday, is this due to the lake?  Or, is our wind pattern going to be onshore for the next few days, thereby limiting severe possibilities in the immediate area?  I know storms can form along the lake breeze boundary, but that boundary can be anywhere from a short distance inland, to 40 or 50 miles. 

Kind of odd to be this far into May, and not see any threads created for individual severe events, and just the one "catch all" thread for discussing the medium range outlook.   Not holding out hope for Monday. While I am enjoying the weather, it's been pretty boring. 

For some reason, a couple of maps that I have seen for the possibilities of Severe Weather for Monday, seem to cover N IL, with the exception of a little area around Chicago.  Every point W, N, and S of the Chicago area has the possibility of storms Sunday and Monday, is this due to the lake?  Or, is our wind pattern going to be onshore for the next few days, thereby limiting severe possibilities in the immediate area?  I know storms can form along the lake breeze boundary, but that boundary can be anywhere from a short distance inland, to 40 or 50 miles. 

Skilling showed a map last night where forecasters took into account past similar severe weather setups, and it included pretty much all of N Illinois (including the Chicagoland metro) in the highest probability of severe for Monday.  Not sure what other maps you are looking at, but I'd be more worried up here than in Chicagoland.  Chances are a squall line or QLCS will sweep through if severe develops, and I don't think it will significantly weaken as it nears Chicago, unless it originates in C Iowa or Missouri.  Tuesday even holds a severe potential, at least according to Dr. Greg Forbes.

Skilling showed a map last night where forecasters took into account past similar severe weather setups, and it included pretty much all of N Illinois (including the Chicagoland metro) in the highest probability of severe for Monday.  Not sure what other maps you are looking at, but I'd be more worried up here than in Chicagoland.  Chances are a squall line or QLCS will sweep through if severe develops, and I don't think it will significantly weaken as it nears Chicago, unless it originates in C Iowa or Missouri.  Tuesday even holds a severe potential, at least according to Dr. Greg Forbes.

Admittedly, the maps were on TWC and GMA on ABC this morning....... 

QLCS? never heard that one before. 

Admittedly, the maps were on TWC and GMA on ABC this morning....... 

QLCS? never heard that one before. 

Quasi linear convective system (complex).  It's just a hybrid of a supercell/squall line, basically a less organized, non uniform complex of storms.  In other words, I'm not sold on supercells being likely in our areas, but a squall line or hybrid of sorts is quite possible on Monday for the Chicago area I would have to think.

Slept through it.... again! 

Didn't feel the 2010 quake that I know of...and sad to have missed this one too. Let's just hope the next one isn't stronger, though. The fault zones around the Ottawa Valley and the St. Lawrence can produce very large quakes. One seismologist recently stated if there is a 6.0+ the damage will be similar to Christchurch, New Zealand.

What a crappy day so far. Low to mid 50s and clouds off the lake. I guess 70° is out of the question today.

It would be nice to have some thunderstorms to break up this stretch of weather.

That region by Ottawa is seismically active. There's a buried rift in the area. I remember some other quakes that have occurred in the area the last decade or so.

usb000gxna_ciim.jpg#usemap=imap_base

What a crappy day so far. Low to mid 50s and clouds off the lake. I guess 70° is out of the question today.

It would be nice to have some thunderstorms to break up this stretch of weather.

That region by Ottawa is seismically active. There's a buried rift in the area. I remember some other quakes that have occurred in the area the last decade or so.

usb000gxna_ciim.jpg#usemap=imap_base

I would still take this weather over the heat and humidity that others are and will be experiencing this coming weekend and early next week.  Also had a quarter to half inch of rain this morning with the batch of showers and embedded storms that moved through.

I would still take this weather over the heat and humidity that others are and will be experiencing this coming weekend and early next week.  Also had a quarter to half inch of rain this morning with the batch of showers and embedded storms that moved through.

Yeah I'd take this over a hot and humid day anytime. Missed all the rain this morning. Need some rain in the next week though.

Clouds are starting to thin here. Temperature is starting to respond.

Archived