joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody miserable day here. Rain, sleet, and a couple flakes mixed in. On and off all day, with strong winds gusting close to 40mph at times. Temps dropping to freezing tonight, frost warning in effect. Wind may prevent a serious frosting but as winds die down tomorrow night frost will be much more significant.

Looking forward to warm weather mid-week and the potential stormy weather setting up.

NAM hires really shows the Plains cooking on Tuesday!

temp45.gif

There's a reason I'm glad I live within 10 miles of Lake Michigan.  Although Wednesday may hit 80, that will likely be it for 80 degree days this week (though there's bound to be one that sneaks up near that mark).  Hopefully drought conditions in the Plains don't turn out as bad this summer as they were last.

And lol to the 4km NAM 2m temp map hugging. Hoosier approved. Tis the season I guess.

I find the 4km NAM to be pretty accurate, particularly for my location and within 36 hrs. Of course it's never the best bet to roll with the NAM only, but it has its merits (again, at least in my experience).

Miserable weather this weekend up north but had a great time with the parents and got some great pictures of the snow falling and still iced over lakes in far northern wi.

Hope you all had a great Mothers day weekend!

No planting in the ground of delicate plants here until around memorial day weekend. Blows my mind how early of a jump some people in WI. try and get on the growing season.  It's just not worth it when temps at night and even daytime are chilly through at least the first 3 weeks of May and then there is the threat of frost/freezes.   Hopefully all the big box stores that push people to plant early get screwed and lose a lot of stuff tonight.

I find the 4km NAM to be pretty accurate, particularly for my location and within 36 hrs. Of course it's never the best bet to roll with the NAM only, but it has its merits (again, at least in my experience).

Well, might be good for your location...but I've never been impressed with its 2m temp forecasting for my hood. But I only see it when it's posted here in warm/hot and cold scenarios. It also was awful in central Indiana with the April rain events (too low). It has the same value to me as weenie snow maps in winter...fun to look at, but lacking in accuracy.

Miserable weather this weekend up north but had a great time with the parents and got some great pictures of the snow falling and still iced over lakes in far northern wi.

Hope you all had a great Mothers day weekend!

No planting in the ground of delicate plants here until around memorial day weekend. Blows my mind how early of a jump some people in WI. try and get on the growing season.  It's just not worth it when temps at night and even daytime are chilly through at least the first 3 weeks of May and then there is the threat of frost/freezes.   Hopefully all the stores that push people to plant early get screwed and lose a lot of stuff tonight.

The local TV weather hack here supposedly starting planting his garden in March. Totally ridiculous. But, that Hoosier's guy...so I better tread lightly.

Lake stuff may do in the freeze potential here. It did manage to dip down to 33 right before the clouds and flakes moved in though. Oh and it is not many flakes flying either despite what the radar may suggest. Just a few here and there so far.

Yesterday was the latest snow and lake effect snow I have personally ever seen, beating April 24 (or 23?) of this year (which was mixed). For most of the day, it was blowing hard with periods of heavy snow that ended up giving trace amounts in the Grey-Bruce county areas and then north getting much higher amounts. North-central Ontario got a snowstorm basically with amounts ranging from 20-30 cm!! Even for that location in mid-May that is amazing. I knew Ontario was going to get snow this May, just the way this Spring has been. 13 years ago on that date was the worst thunderstorm I've experienced. Forecast to be over 80°F by Wednesday here.

Archived