northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2nd half of April, general forecast ideas and banter

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The location in Northwestern Massachusetts that hold's snow into the summer is called the Berkshire snow Hole and I visited this place with my son on June 6th, 2011. It's located off of Petersburg Pass on the Taconic Crest Trail and the location of the cave is close to the 3 state meeting points of NY,VT and MA. It's about 2.7 miles north from Route 2:

BSH_zps2c128ac8.jpg

BSH1-1_zps5e0eb387.jpg

Nice, pics! How in the word did you find that patch of "snow"? That looks like literally an hour away from completely disappearing, lol.

Last patch of natural snow in the state of Mass?

funny the guys in Athol Mass said they saw a patch like that yesterday at Tully Dam. They are happy for spring to arrive, said it's been cold too long.

Actually, it not be Greylock - per say.  It's up near the nexus of NY/MA/VT, which is why I refer to it as the N side of the Mt, but that's my bad.  Anywho, here's a web-site that talks about it :   http://www.berkshirehiking.com/hikes/snowhole.html

I only know about it because I used to date this girl that went to North Adams.  I'd go up and hang for weekends of ill-repute, then come home and earn enough money for bus fair during the week to rinse and repeat.   I finally just said fudge it!  and bought a car so I could drive it, but about a week later she dump me.  But during that gleeful time of pure debauchery we enjoyed, there were several parties -- I was talking to some dude at one of them, and when I was discussing my nerdliness with weather and stuff, he said I should check out "snowhole".   Shame on me, I never did :(       At least I got a car out of the deal :)

Okay, thanks for the link, I know where that is. I'll go check it out sometime!

The location in Northwestern Massachusetts that hold's snow into the summer is called the Berkshire snow Hole and I visited this place with my son on June 6th, 2011. It's located off of Petersburg Pass on the Taconic Crest Trail and the location of the cave is close to the 3 state meeting points of NY,VT and MA. It's about 2.7 miles north from Route 2:

BSH_zps2c128ac8.jpg

BSH1-1_zps5e0eb387.jpg

Looks like there was quite a bit of snow there even in June. I bet it lasted through the summer that year since that was on the heels of a big winter. That area does really well in W to NW flow upslope events, so they probably average over 100" there above 2K.

Actually, it not be Greylock - per say. It's up near the nexus of NY/MA/VT, which is why I refer to it as the N side of the Mt, but that's my bad. Anywho, here's a web-site that talks about it : http://www.berkshirehiking.com/hikes/snowhole.html

Yeah I've heard of that snow hole before....I love that stuff.

We have one on Mansfield that is up behind the Gondola near 4,000ft that can hold snow almost all summer.

On July 4th each year a couple locals go up there with large trash bags, fill them with winter snow, then we send it down the Gondola to build a snowman at the base. It drives the tourists nuts as they can't wrap their heads around how there could possibly be natural snow left on July 4th, lol.

The latest I've seen snow not in a cave is coincidentally July 4th, 2011...that was when the last patch melted off the Cliff hiking trail in the Spruce forest.

All of this "drought" talk, but don't we still have some good snow melt up north to help us out, at least here in the Northeast?

Yeah although all the snow up here in the Northern Green Spine ends up in the St. Lawrence River up in Canada...Lake Champlain flows a lot of the Greens and Adirondack snow northward.

But all the "drought" talk is more from certain people worrying about their lawns and leafy veggies, not necessarily an actual worry about running out of water. So even if the CT River was at bankful or flooding from snow melt up north, it still wouldn't help keep those important lawns green.

Yeah although all the snow up here in the Northern Green Spine ends up in the St. Lawrence River up in Canada...Lake Champlain flows a lot of the Greens and Adirondack snow northward.

But all the "drought" talk is more from certain people worrying about their lawns and leafy veggies, not necessarily an actual worry about running out of water. So even if the CT River was at bankful or flooding from snow melt up north, it still wouldn't help keep those important lawns green.

spray-irrigation4.jpg

Those aren't the hills around Mt. Tolland in the background are they?

Folks at soccer today asking me why it's been so dry, are we headed for drought thus summer. They can't remember such a dry spring. Comments like that from non weenies means its getting bad

Yes... random comments on a Tolland youth soccer field sideline mean the drought is becoming epic. 

Archived