• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hardly satiated here and i am sure i am not in singular company...actually i think this winter outside of the blizard blew chunks...at least things were a bit more spread out in 10-11

Agreed.  Definitely more wintry in 10-11. That year I was spotting coyotes out on the ice in the middle of Quabbin with nearly 3' of snow OTG... this year it never even glazed over.  Noho had 66", this year closer to 50".  It's not been terrible for sure and the one big event is better than 4 lesser events, but given the potential it does feel a touch disappointing.  

And just as the 12z started the trend back south, this run continues along it's blitheful course of dismantling the threat ... 

Honestly, the NAM has a marked +QPF bias in its 60 to 84 hour range, among it's other various performance headaches...  but that one is graphical.  Having a NW bias in those time frames, which it also does, would certainly atone, at least in part, for why that is the case. 

really remarkable

can't remember 1 single storm this season when the NAM led other guidance with a correct idea

whether it's this particular pattern or the programming has changed, i'm amazed how absolutely useless it has become, and the only reason we still give it some credence is past season performance (and for this event, it showed the solution we wanted, perhaps with a little feedback issues making this too juiced too northwest)

really remarkable

can't remember 1 single storm this season when the NAM led other guidance with a correct idea

whether it's this particular pattern or the programming has changed, i'm amazed how absolutely useless it has become, and the only reason we still give it some credence is past season performance (and for this event, it showed the solution we wanted, perhaps with a little feedback issues making this too juiced too northwest)

It's really a shame how bad it is

The model's just not well suited for a synoptic -scaled guidance, and never was.  

It shines over the other guidance for smaller scaled idiosyncratic noise though, and for that, it has it's value.  But we've been over this and over this, that the NAM should not really be used with any credence for synoptic events ...particularly beyond 36 hours.   If one knows that and the "science" of when to use the model and not, in general, it doesn't even become worth it to mention how bad it is/was on this event for those time ranges - it's like, duh, what does one expect. 

Check back in when it's June 10 and we need some veracious ideas on convective initialization ;) 

I am with Will on this one, sure you get those low 50 upper 40 s days but this is not your Mommas April showers bring May flowers pattern. It's snowy, it's raw and they are spectacular

I never said it was, but it's April...that's all. I mentioned snow chances for weeks now.

The model's just not well suited for a synoptic -scaled guidance, and never was.  

It shines over the other guidance for smaller scaled idiosyncratic noise though, and for that, it has it's value.  But we've been over this and over this, that the NAM should not really be used with any credence for synoptic events ...particularly beyond 36 hours.   If one knows that and the "science" of when to use the model and not, in general, it doesn't even become worth it to mention how bad it is/was on this event for those time ranges - it's like, duh, what does one expect. 

Check back in when it's June 10 and we need some veracious ideas on convective initialization ;)

I don't know John it's been terrible with all the norluns too.  If it's not good on the meso stuff, not good at all on larger synoptic stuff it's time to start over.  It's useless.  The 1 time out of 20 it's right, well that's probably just luck.

If we just had the Euro and GGEM I'd argue forecasts on average would not suffer at all.  

It's basically useless unless the synoptics have been figured out and the evolution is similar to the GFS/Euro. Otherwise it's garbage. Unfortunately, far too many people use it for things it's not designed to do. 

...End of winter = deflating of weenies on the board = hot tempers, misinterpretations of models, misinterpretations of posts, and everything inbetween.

Ebrace the end of the snow, enjoy the end of March that was not a Morch to remember, and prepare for banana hammocks and the most boring sport of all mankind to begin - baseball.

...End of winter deflating of weenies on the board = hot tempers, misinterpretations of models, misinterpretations of posts, and everything inbetween.

Ebrace the end of the snow, enjoy the end of March that was not a Morch to remember, and prepare for banana hammocks and the most boring sport of all mankind to begin - baseball.

Lol baseball is the best game in the world. More snow in April.

Archived