• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

Not for those of us still in the thick of the game

You really aren't in it anymore than BOS...maybe for a sloppy inch or two. This one is slipping away pretty quickly. We'll need a minor miracle to make this a notable event for anyone in our region. Perhaps there's still an outside shot at 3-5 down in S CT.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really aren't in it anymore than BOS...maybe for a sloppy inch or two. This one is slipping away pretty quickly. We'll need a minor miracle to make this a notable event for anyone in our region. Perhaps there's still an outside shot at 3-5 down in S CT.

Ssshhh. He's expecting 6" to the Pike.

Welp, bottom line for this Monday into Tuesday time frame, the magnitude of the -NAO really doesn't statistically correlate well for us to cash in on that MA system.  The storm track is just too suppressed - ie, too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing in having such an overwhelming cold signal. 

Speaking on behalf of (for) the winter lovers, one takes risk when rationalizing, "let's get the cold in her first", an oft posted mantra on the site.   Because, yes ... you need cold for your snow, no question, but these tasty cold teleconnectors progged from 7 days ago are currently killing your effort frankly by being too overwhelming.  The mantra really needs more than just 'getting the cold in her first'.  Kind of reminds me of the old strategy with Aladdin's lamp and the genie manipulation tactic:   "As my first wish, I wish for an infinite number of wishes..." 

Unfortunately, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride trumps every time.    

Muse aside ... it really is true, better storms frequency has always been correlated better to changing indices.  Having the NAO statically driven into the Earth like this, isn't one of those times.   You know what is interesting though - the blizzard in February took place in the absence of any meaningful, preceding teleconnector signal; so there are rarities that evolve.  Duh.  

I think the MA gets a late season run in with blue snow and cold rain, and then we watch rad tickle the SC under cirrus dimming pal sun, spring muting cold breezes, as being the favored outcome at this time.     We'll see -

Hush now..Scooter has ruled out even light snow for everyone. Thinking sunny and upper 40's for Monday..Think maybe having heavy rrhea got to him

Hush now..Scooter has ruled out even light snow for everyone. Thinking sunny and upper 40's for Monday..Think maybe having heavy rrhea got to him

You left out the part of the souj coast getting some snow. I just think this is a non event unless a sloppy inch gets you off.

Correct. When I refer to my temps I'm just saying with respect to previous days high temperatures...not the climate avg. high temp. So for the 22nd and beyond I just meant I think temps will cool slightly compared to the warmth we will see on the 18-19th. There should be another SW induced by a rwt somewhere in the 24-28 time frame but it's too early to nail it down yet so I just said it will bring temps down slightly beyond the 24th. But I think the last week of the month will still end up averaging with temps slightly above climate norms even with that slight dip in temps from the cooler air behind that rwt when ever it arrives. Matching the AO correlations.

I am also concerned about the propensity to register warm anomalies as part of the last 30-year climate flux, which as we all know is a warming one.  We have all our outlooks, derived from various more or less veracious reasoning ... then you got to like almost just assume a 2-3F add-on in keeping with that unrelenting bias.  

This point leaps out at me upon reading your idea for the last week of April - because in the absence of any cold off-set in the means (such as we are in a "cold bubble" relative to climo, now), we probably go back to the warm default bias.   That definitely adds some credence to any particular Mets thinking for warmth as a baser kind of canvas for their respective outlooks. 

I am also concerned about the propensity to register warm anomalies as part of the last 30-year climate flux, which as we all know is a warming one.  We have all our outlooks, derived from various more or less veracious reasoning ... then you got to like almost just assume a 2-3F add-on in keeping with that unrelenting bias.  

This point leaps out at me upon reading your idea for the last week of April - because in the absence of any cold off-set in the means (such as we are in a "cold bubble" relative to climo, now), we probably go back to the warm default bias.   That definitely adds some credence to any particular Mets thinking for warmth as a baser kind of canvas for their respective outlooks. 

Very true and valid point I have to agree with you.

Archived