• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - second half of March 2013

I am starting to get worried about a sleet storm here. Is there a website that I could look at a current sounding for UNV? 

I think PIT is the nearest spot that does soundings. That can give you a good idea of how fast the warm air at 750-800mb is progressing, and it usually has repercussions for central PA as that's where it's coming from. The warming at that level is usually under forecasted, so sleet is definitely a concern. Always is in these kind of setups. Maybe freezing rain as well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think PIT is the nearest spot that does soundings. That can give you a good idea of how fast the warm air at 750-800mb is progressing, and it usually has repercussions for central PA as that's where it's coming from. The warming at that level is usually under forecasted, so sleet is definitely a concern. Always is in these kind of setups. Maybe freezing rain as well.

Well Pitt is already reporting freezing rain.

Well Pitt is already reporting freezing rain.

with the southwesterly wind aloft causing the warm air advection... Pitt and other locations in southwest PA often see warming occur the fastest as the warm air builds to the west of the mountains.  It will be slower over the mountains and into central PA but I still believe is probable to occur and hinder snow totals

with the southwesterly wind aloft causing the warm air advection... Pitt and other locations in southwest PA often see warming occur the fastest as the warm air builds to the west of the mountains.  It will be slower over the mountains and into central PA but I still believe is probable to occur and hinder snow totals

Yep. Back home only in the 1-2 snow range. That fits climo than what they had before.

Archived