Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because one event or multiple systems did not pan out for snow accumulations for a region, it has no baring on what will happen with a future storm. That reasoning has no statistical or scientific evidence to support any sort of forecast.

Storms indeed are different, but seasonal averages mean something IMO.

"It will snow tomorrow where it snowed yesterday" I don't think is just wive's tale stuff.

We have zero snow cover anywhere and it is in the upper 30s (39 here) currently.

I agree with the snowmap CTP has out currently. It may be a bit light in the south central but all in all looks good. With a high to the north and a pretty decent NE ageostrophic flow setting up, it's looking like a colder scenario favoring more frozen is going to pan out over alot of the region. I continue to think that any region with widespread warning totals will reside north of UNV.. with high end advisory amounts and some 7-8" lollipops in the ridge and valley region. A region to watch is the Sus Valley, where if they get heavy enough thump of snow early.. could sneak some advisory amounts down into the Harrisburg area perhaps. 

Def a pretty decent winter storm shaping up for C-PA overall, could be one of the better March storms we've had since the '07 St Patty's Day nor'easter.

Gotta love the late season Winter Storm Warning!  Hoping precip can roll in quick enough to cancel my 10AM class tomorrow.... haha yeah right :P

Seems like 4-6" is the bare minimum we will see here in State College.  Should make for a really fun, wintry, day tomorrow with snow already on the ground.  Still feel like this is still gonna catch a lot of people off guard.  I deliver for a pizza shop and nobody at work was aware that we're gonna be facing a serious storm tomorrow-- they thought yesterday was bad enough!

I'm usually the conservative one but this time, I do think warning amounts will verify here.  Gonna go with a final call of 6" of all snow, before mixing with sleet late, ending as a light mix, maybe some ZR drizzle.  Total accumulation of 6-8".  Jackpot amounts to the north of KUNV around 10".  Should challenge for the biggest event of the year for a lot of us and drop a mighty impressive March snowpack.  And it looks to stick around... could there be even more to come?  We shall see....  

Gotta love the late season Winter Storm Warning!  Hoping precip can roll in quick enough to cancel my 10AM class tomorrow.... haha yeah right :P

Seems like 4-6" is the bare minimum we will see here in State College.  Should make for a really fun, wintry, day tomorrow with snow already on the ground.  Still feel like this is still gonna catch a lot of people off guard.  I deliver for a pizza shop and nobody at work was aware that we're gonna be facing a serious storm tomorrow-- they thought yesterday was bad enough!

I'm usually the conservative one but this time, I do think warning amounts will verify here.  Gonna go with a final call of 6" of all snow, before mixing with sleet late, ending as a light mix, maybe some ZR drizzle.  Total accumulation of 6-8".  Jackpot amounts to the north of KUNV around 10".  Should challenge for the biggest event of the year for a lot of us and drop a mighty impressive March snowpack.  And it looks to stick around... could there be even more to come?  We shall see....  

I'm thinking warning amounts for Centre County as well. Reminding me a little of one of my favorite storms since I moved up here: December 8-9, 2009...7" of snow in several hours before the change to sleet and zr.

Final snow guesses

JST 3-5

AOO 5-7

UNV 6-8

IPT 3-6

Clearfield  6-9

MDT 2-3

LNS 1-2

THV 1-2

Jackpot:  8-11  Snow Shoe to Renovo to Emporium over to about Ridgeway and North Eastern Clearfield County North of I-80.   

6" or so here seems like a good call at the moment. It's always cool when you're looking to be near the jackpot area.

Wow, some areas of warning level icing within an area of warning level snowfall. Considering the cold outlook for the rest of the week, this storm might be quite the glacier builder for being a late season event. Sleet might become a pretty dominant ptype in Altoona and State College and that general surrounding area (sans the ridgetops which will see more freezing rain) in the mixing phase of this storm system.

My call

JST 4-5

AOO 5-7

UNV 5-7

IPT 3-5

Clearfield 6-10

MDT .25-.75

LNS .25-1

THV T

C'mon Chris....are you really going to be a party pooper for our area?  I understand completely your cynicism over our immediate area getting the shaft again and again, but at least NWS has us both at 1 to 2"...which I believe is going to verify LOW....but that's all I am going to say about my feelings on this storm.  Always remember that CAD situations tend to do well in the Cumberland Valley area.  So...cheer up and think positive, bud!  :snowing:

Wow, some areas of warning level icing within an area of warning level snowfall. Considering the cold outlook for the rest of the week, this storm might be quite the glacier builder for being a late season event. Sleet might become a pretty dominant ptype in Altoona and State College and that general surrounding area (sans the ridgetops which will see more freezing rain) in the mixing phase of this storm system.

The snow from yesterday is hanging in there pretty well, another decent dumping and there will be some pretty damn impressive snow depths here for the time of year. It's weird when there's snow everywhere and it doesn't get dark until 7:30...

I disagree with this. Also only 2-3" in JST.. eh 

Seems reasonable for jST. Fits climo for these types of storms. Warm air floods into Cambria county easier all the time. If Jst was going to get 4 or 5 inches of snow, then UNV will end up with 9 or 10 inches.

Yep I figure 6-8 for UNV and like a bunch of sleet to top it off. This seems like a typical climo dump.

NWS is somewhat confusing, they keep bouncing all around - even in the forecast discussion.

I know this is another tough storm....

Looks like later on wind could be a little problem.

Edit: To add to it. Forecast 3-5"

Winter storm warning 4-7"

Map 4-6"

Forecast discussion mention 2-4"

Monday icon sais wintry mix.

Archived