Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surface wet-bulb temps have the 0c line to the south of the entire state. Shouldn't have a problem starting off as snow for mostly everyone living in this subform...

post-5336-0-90673300-1363625454_thumb.pn

And if that wasn't enough, there's some screamin' frontogenesis to the south of the main batch of precip. That should help keep the precip developing on the southern edge, and if the HRRR is right, it'll add to the radar and help expand the precip shield through time.

post-5336-0-42075000-1363625448_thumb.pn

Nice timing for me to be in a windowless lecture hall :axe:

I remember being in Forum as the 10/25/2005 event got underway. It was a cold rain at 9am when I walked in with a flake or two mixed in. When I left at 10am it was a snowglobe outside and there was already maybe an inch on the ground. Needless to say, people were flipping out. I was pissed that I missed out on the start of it.

The stuff falling in State College now is picking up, but I'm not convinced it's true snow. It looks like these are snow grains which partially melted and refroze before the ground. They aren't silent flakes but not as loud as sleet, but somewhere in between. 

Not good if that's sleet at UNV already. I thought with just that batch we would dryslot before it changed over.

I'm willing to bet it goes to a more pure snow as the evaporational cooling cools the column slightly. We still have a 9 degree dewpoint depression (at the surface) here.

Archived