Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not convinced of anything for late March. The ingredients would literally have to come together perfectly to see snowfall across the region in the last half of March, and I just don't see those ingredients you want to see. AO is SUPER

negative, but may be too negative for a big storm (will likely hold on to cool/winter-like conditions through the end of March)

End of March snowstorms are rare...and for good reason. I'm surprised at how today turned out for many, and would be surprised again to see more snow even later into March.

Thanks for sharing...I know on this site there has been some talk about a big storm around 3/25. Sometimes it's a fine line between what models show a week or two out vs. what sensible weather dictates. In his special discussion today Eric Horst mentioned at least the possibility for more snow from a coastal storm next weekend or early next week.

I agree with Allweather, it is a catch 22, blocking keeps them from cutting, but it also keeps anything from being a ramped up monster we need for accumulating snows this late in the season.

Up here, though, we have a better chance than Harrisburg/York/Lancaster. Just too many historical examples. Hell, since we've moved here 10 years ago, only four months haven't had accumulating snow (June-September).

Well.......here's to solid white ground out there this evening!

Snow is slowly winding down now....still very light despite radar not showing returns over me....

Total snowfall today is 2.5" which all fell between 3pm and 7pm.

As others mentioned it was weird seeing the snow covered ground at 7pm with it still being totally light outside.

Does anyone else think we aren't going to see much if any rainfall over night? Those echoes to the south are all moving east.

Well after shovelling/snowblowing/driving in this snow I can def say that it was a very heavy and poor ratio snow. In fact the consistency of all the snow that fell has a bit of a sleet feel to it, or alot of rimed snowflakes pretty much. Probably could've been a 5-6 incher without the warm intrusion and better flakes. Not gonna complain though, I had been saying i felt this would be more of an advisory event with any widespread warning amounts above UNV...though doesn't look like warning totals are going to pan out there. The overrunning precipitation preceding the main afternoon stuff not panning out this morning probably hurt totals. But where it was residing this morning in the southern tier, there were some surprises the other way. Look at the latest PNS, there were 6-10 amounts in Somerset, Bedford, and the southern half of Cambria counties bolstered alot by the snow this morning. The afternoon PNS just after the main snow moved in  early this afternoon already had a 7.3" report from Laurel Summit. 

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=PNSCTP

Currently some fine sleet with perhaps a tad of freezing rain falling. The back roads around here are still pretty dicey.

Winter Storm Warning continued for threat of up to .25 of freezing rain overnight. Good call looking at regional obs, especially in colder suburbs.

CTP never really had warning level snows in the forecast for much of the region, but a few inches of snow + 1/4" ice is definitely just as bad if not worse than 6" snow. Might be pretty nasty up your way tonight.

Barely any precip a little while ago when I was out, and the temp is up to 30. I wouldn't mind quitting while we're ahead lol and not having to deal with ice.

Archived