joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not accumulating here. So close, same thing happened in the blizzard, I got 19", 10 miles east 35"... I think we'll know in 1/2 hour if it's going to continue to accumulate, all depends on if the heavy stuff to the east can move in. 33.8 here.

-skisheep

Yeah that stinks. I was away for the blizzard and have a feeling I woulda been dissapointed if i was around. (dissapointed at 19" lol)...the fetch keeps on weakening as it tries to push west, i think that should continue in general. Oh well, we definitely cant complain for one second, this has been great.

Yeah that stinks. I was away for the blizzard and have a feeling I woulda been dissapointed if i was around. (dissapointed at 19" lol)...the fetch keeps on weakening as it tries to push west, i think that should continue in general. Oh well, we definitely cant complain for one second, this has been great.

Nope, no complaints whatsoever, it's been really a great storm! Looking at radar I think we might have one more chance in the afternoon as the western bulge of the band sticking up due north from BDR comes in, if it dosen't fall apart, it should be good for a quick inch, other than that, should be nice mood flakes. It's been great though, up to around 9", the snow falling is coming down around the same rate as melting(1/3" per hour or so?), just enough to keep the snow OTG steady at 9".

-skisheep

I live in Millburn, but at work in Bergen county right now, just want to get an idea of whatz going on down there and how much. There was a little over 4" when I left at 7:30 this morning.

Where in Bergen.  I'm supposed to be going to a show at the Bergen PAC tonight.  Hope it is still go on.

Nope, no complaints whatsoever, it's been really a great storm! Looking at radar I think we might have one more chance in the afternoon as the western bulge of the band sticking up due north from BDR comes in, if it dosen't fall apart, it should be good for a quick inch, other than that, should be nice mood flakes. It's been great though, up to around 9", the snow falling is coming down around the same rate as melting(1/3" per hour or so?), just enough to keep the snow OTG steady at 9".

-skisheep

damn that is awesome that there's 9" on the grass. It sucks from where I am because it literally looks like there is only 4-5" on the ground tops around i-95 right now..even on the grass. Glad to have someone nearby sending in  the obs.

its the usual...maybe 2" where I am and it hasnt snowed in hours...oh well

Valley Stream just came in with 6.2", and I think Bluewave sent it in (someone who definitely wouldn't inflate). Dsnowx also sent in a picture from RVC with nearly 5" on the ground when it was still snowing very hard. No way you only have 2" only 1-2 towns away. I had that or more in Long Beach at 6:30 this morning.

damn that is awesome that there's 9" on the grass. It sucks from where I am because it literally looks like there is only 4-5" on the ground tops around i-95 right now..even on the grass. Glad to have someone nearby sending in  the obs.

My pleasure! I've noticed that right in downtown always has trouble accumulating, not sure if it's a mini heat island or what, but I'm in hubbard heights(70' elevation or so maybe a bit more), and we always do better. there was around 8" this morning around 9 and we picked up another inch or so over the previous 3 hours, but it's really not accumulating now, although it's enough to replace what's being melted, so pack is holding steady. I didn't think it was that much when I woke up, was suprised when I measured.

Think the heavy stuff is over, maybe some isolated SN, but we are done for accumulation it looks like. I'm putting 10" in the record book, accounting for some compaction and settling overnight.

-skisheep

Archived