Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Quite possibly my favorite spot on earth.  Too bad you didn't get there at sunrise and get a measurement.  Looks like there were only a couple of inches left by the time you got there.  I was considering making the trek, but was too lazy. 

Quite possibly my favorite spot on earth.  Too bad you didn't get there at sunrise and get a measurement.  Looks like there were only a couple of inches left by the time you got there.  I was considering making the trek, but was too lazy. 

It's purely speculation on my part but I'd estimate there had been at least 8", maybe more before the meltdown commenced.  Not strictly elevation dependent as it looked similar if not a tad more at my folks' in Syosset (el 180).  Sheltered spots up by "the summit" still had up to 6" when I was there,  The ridgeline to the south catches a little more sun

Guest Pamela

It's purely speculation on my part but I'd estimate there had been at least 8", maybe more before the meltdown commenced.  Not strictly elevation dependent as it looked similar if not a tad more at my folks' in Syosset (el 180).  Sheltered spots up by "the summit" still had up to 6" when I was there,  The ridgeline to the south catches a little more sun

Despite all the model mayhem...I don't think there was ever any actual rain that fell...save for right at the end on Friday afternoon.  The problem was getting the snow to stick....plus intensity...for the whole thing my area only saw about 1 inch liquid equivalent (not per my own obs)...and it was somewhat wetter at OKX.  Both nights, snow started to accumulate when the temp dropped to 33.5 F.  It was probably a little colder in NE Nassau and per the reports from far northern Syosset & Laurel Hollow, it likely stuck a little more quickly...virtually all of it...so going up another 150 feet didn't make a difference...and again, the L.E. was likely no more than an inch or so.

Guest Pamela

Northshorewx, that area looks absolutely gorgeous. Truly scenic. I knew LI was beautiful especially the central/eastern parts, but I don't think I realized the amount of wilderness out there.

Those pics were taken in the West Hills County Park in South Huntington right on the Nassau  / Suffolk border...about 2 miles north of the Northern State Parkway. 

Yeah, it showed up clearly on the Saturday MODIS pass.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2013-03-10 at 11.03.49 AM.png

Seeing it in person it was one the most intense cutoffs I have seen. We had zero on left by Friday night in South Wantagh meanwhile Saturday afternoon on the the North Shore still had several inches. It just seemed like our temps stayed marginal the whole event so my 4 inches measured on a board was high. It was actual like 2 inches Friday morning with melting and compaction. Amazing what a mere 100 feet of elevation can do in such a marginal event.

Seeing it in person it was one the most intense cutoffs I have seen. We had zero on left by Friday night in South Wantagh meanwhile Saturday afternoon on the the North Shore still had several inches. It just seemed like our temps stayed marginal the whole event so my 4 inches measured on a board was high. It was actual like 2 inches Friday morning with melting and compaction. Amazing what a mere 100 feet of elevation can do in such a marginal event.

I went to Broadway Mall in Hicksville yesterday and you could tell almost immediately once you crossed Hempstead Turnpike how much more snow there was. In Hicksville, some of the grass still had snow and the piles were quite large. Once you were south of there, there was little if any snow left, anywhere. In Long Beach, almost all the snow was gone by Friday night. Snow amounts must have doubled at least on the Oyster Bay end of Rt. 106 compared to where it starts in Bellmore. Long Island is definitely a place known for microclimates and again, a transition region between two different storm/climate regimes-the SNE regime and the Mid Atlantic regime.

The storm kinda sucked here. You could easily notice the change from the north shore and the south shore on Friday. I took a ride up the Sagtikos, the change was evident once you got passed Pine Aire Dr. North of Pine Aire the ground was covered, south of it, nothing. In Middle Island someone told me they got about 6,7" of snow. Only 2.8" here and by Friday afternoon the ground was exposed and almost all the snow was melted by then. Surface temps and precip rate were the killers here, and not to mention but we were also dry slotted for an extended period of time.

Despite all the model mayhem...I don't think there was ever any actual rain that fell...save for right at the end on Friday afternoon.  The problem was getting the snow to stick....plus intensity...for the whole thing my area only saw about 1 inch liquid equivalent (not per my own obs)...and it was somewhat wetter at OKX.  Both nights, snow started to accumulate when the temp dropped to 33.5 F.  It was probably a little colder in NE Nassau and per the reports from far northern Syosset & Laurel Hollow, it likely stuck a little more quickly...virtually all of it...so going up another 150 feet didn't make a difference...and again, the L.E. was likely no more than an inch or so.

I was watching the radar Thursday night and it was obvious that the precip was heavier over northeast Nassau.  They were getting pretty good rates Thursday night while we were spitting flakes.

Archived