Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

Yes. I live near Syosset HS. 

Usually run on the Stillwell trails. Use the soccer field entrance.

Have you been there since the hurricane. Lots of trees destoyed.

I use the greenbelt trail frequently; I checked it out between CSH and 25 before all of the snow from the November storm had melted (in small areas the snow did more damage than Sandy) and it was a bushwhack, a nearly impassable mess.  I know some of the trail maintainers and have been back since; it was in pretty good shape prior to the February storm but I haven't seen it since.

Do you think the snow will have been beaten into mud puddles yet if I get out early tomorrow?

BTW, I am an SHS grad.  Back in the day (before it was a park) the soccer fields and beyond were just known as "the sod farm".  I used to run loops that included Stillwell Lane all of the time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Are you near Stillwell?  I am debating if its worth getting up early for a ski before we get too many barespots.  I'm near Caleb Smith which is good for skiing, except most of this snow is probably dripping out ot the evergreens at Caleb Smith instead of covering the ground.

NE Nassau is the best area for snow no one knows about...my cousin lived there for half a century in CSH and it always snowed nice up in those hills...when central Nassau (near the L.I.E) got two to four and a changeover...they would get six.  Even in the infamous 1/15/1983 storm...they managed 5.0" per anecdotal evidence. 

Wife just called to say we got an additional 1.5" since I left for work, bringing us up to 6.5" in Metuchen. Holy ****e!  Talk about way overperforming - this is the kind of forecast bust I love, lol.  And it ended up being more widespread than I thought, with areas to the W and S of us doing at least pretty well (lots of reports of 3-5" in Warren/Somerset/Monmouth etc.). 

Been busy all day at work, but my wife sent me an email around 1 pm, saying we had 2.5" of new snow since 7 am (I cleared off our deck table for her), which, combined with the 5.0" I measured at 7 am, leads to 7.5" overall.  Snow still fell after that, but didn't add appreciable accumulation as snowfall rate didn't really exceed the melting rate in the afernoon.  I think that's a fair total, as it's 6 hours after my initial measurement.  Sure, total depth was about 6.5-7.0", due to compaction, but I think 7.5" is kosher.  I do, however, think the NWS/NOAA should try to come up with one single way to measure snow, so we don't get into these arguments, although that's a hard thing to do and enforce.  Regardless, what an awesome "make-up" storm after the debacle on Wednesday.  Reports from Middlesex County need to be updated, as they were all from this morning and more fell in most spots (3-5" on the NWS page). 

Brings the season total to 32.0".  Not a bad winter, after all! 

This will come to be known as the mystery inch! today between 11a-2p 1 inch fell in cpk yet for SOME mysterious reason NWS last accum count stops at 11am. see below & ull see what I mean. The vagaries of accum counting in nyc never cease to amaze

08 13:51 Vrbl 3 6.00 Fog/Mist BKN010 OVC015 34 32     92% NA NA 30.05 1017.0 0.01     08 12:51 Vrbl 5 1.50 Light Snow Fog/Mist OVC008 33 31 33 31 92% 28 NA 30.05 1016.8 0.04   0.39 08 11:51 Vrbl 3 1.00 Light Snow Fog/Mist BKN007 OVC013 34 30     87% NA NA 30.06 1017.2 0.04

NE Nassau is the best area for snow no one knows about...my cousin lived there for half a century in CSH and it always snowed nice up in those hills...when central Nassau (near the L.I.E) got two to four and a changeover...they would get six.  Even in the infamous 1/15/1983 storm...they managed 5.0" per anecdotal evidence. 

Here is another anecdote for you...that area got close to 10" in the late March 1984 snow/sleet/rain/wind fest and the south shore..well, think of today.

This will come to be known as the mystery inch! today between 11a-2p 1 inch fell in cpk yet for SOME mysterious reason NWS last accum count stops at 11am. see below & ull see what I mean. The vagaries of accum counting in nyc never cease to amaze

08 13:51 Vrbl 3 6.00 Fog/Mist BKN010 OVC015 34 32     92% NA NA 30.05 1017.0 0.01     08 12:51 Vrbl 5 1.50 Light Snow Fog/Mist OVC008 33 31 33 31 92% 28 NA 30.05 1016.8 0.04   0.39 08 11:51 Vrbl 3 1.00 Light Snow Fog/Mist BKN007 OVC013 34 30     87% NA NA 30.06 1017.2 0.04

I am speculating that they may be measuring hourly for snowfall rates (i.e., wiping a board that often) but they cannot do that for storm total snowfall. 

wow. im down here in NC, but what an awesome event for my old spot in danbury CT. i thought last night the norlun would over perform but not like this....im happy for you guys, those that made out obv. but i bet it was a nice way to end an otherwise terrible beginning with the coastal. tracking this thing down here was exhausting, esp how we got played by the nam and the up and down swings with pretty much all of the guidance...i can only imagine how you guys felt up there. I hope the rest of march can offer one more goody, for everyone!

After growing up on the south shore, I am always amazed at the change from the LIE to 25 and then a further change north of 25A.  The hills help.

After growing up on the south shore, I am always amazed at the change from the LIE to 25 and then a further change north of 25A.  The hills help.

It also helps that traveling north away from the ocean is essentially driving inland.  Heating from the sound tempers that somewhat (especially in the autumn), but you really are considerably inland from the ocean.  The sound is probably only about 5 or 6 miles wide off northeastern Nassau  The extra 20-25 miles of latitude doesn't hurt either.

Guest Pamela

Here is another anecdote for you...that area got close to 10" in the late March 1984 snow/sleet/rain/wind fest and the south shore..well, think of today.

IIRC...the changeover went pretty far north...into SNE....but then...when the precip went back to snow...the Litchfield Hills started getting snow at the rate of 4 inches per hour...landing the county on my retirement radar.  

Guest Pamela

Has anyone been keeping snow fall records from NE Nassau?

Records use to be kept for Cold Spring Harbor...but that co-op closed at least 75 years ago, I think.  Closest nowadays would be over at the Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport, which has apparently re-opened for business. There is also a station at the Planting Fields Arbotreum (sp?) in Upper Brookville...but they never seem to collect any data. 

I use the greenbelt trail frequently; I checked it out between CSH and 25 before all of the snow from the November storm had melted (in small areas the snow did more damage than Sandy) and it was a bushwhack, a nearly impassable mess.  I know some of the trail maintainers and have been back since; it was in pretty good shape prior to the February storm but I haven't seen it since.

Do you think the snow will have been beaten into mud puddles yet if I get out early tomorrow?

BTW, I am an SHS grad.  Back in the day (before it was a park) the soccer fields and beyond were just known as "the sod farm".  I used to run loops that included Stillwell Lane all of the time.

Just got back from there. Temperature is just above freezing. Got a sneaker full of slush when I tried entering the trail. I'd get there real early tomorrow to avoid the puddles.  Enjoy.

There's a section of the trail, north of the train tracks and south of the soccer field entrance that was destroyed by the hurricane. Big trees down everywhere.

Yes I do remember when the fields were a sod farm. I grew up in LH just north of Stillwell. 

Has anyone been keeping snow fall records from NE Nassau?

Not recently that I am aware of, but here are snowfall records for Syosset from 1974 - 1985:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SyossetSnowfall1974-1985.pdf

PS I'm glad you asked.  I don't know why I haven't thought to add them to that page until now.( http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateStatistics.asp ).

Hi William,

NE Nassau does well with snowfall compared to the rest of LI when temperatures are marginal, for example Nov. 2012 and today.

The NS of Suffolk does well with the mid winter all-snow storms, for example Feb. 2013.

My depth peaked at around 5" on my grass (a little after 10 a.m.) Then it melted when we got into the dry slot and I took a nap. The snow picked up again pretty steadily at some points, but it was melting faster than accumulating. Probably a bit more "fell" than my 5" total, but since the depth was melting faster than accumulating, I feel weird counting that. We are now down to 3" and still melting. I actually made a snowman about 20 minutes ago while I still could. Very enjoyable event. 

i remember back in the late 90s roughly, Indianapolis had a snowfall which went into the record books as 10" but the most that was ever on the ground at one time was 3 inches.   that's making chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Guest Pamela

Not recently that I am aware of, but here are snowfall records for Syosset from 1974 - 1985:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SyossetSnowfall1974-1985.pdf

PS Thanks for asking.  I don't no why I never thought before to add them on that page ( http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateStatistics.asp ).

Glad you posted that...seems to match up with my memories...'cept for maybe Feb '79...thought that was thirteen in the city and less east...was there another snow event that very, very cold month that eludes me?

Guest Pamela

Hi William,

NE Nassau does well with snowfall compared to the rest of LI when temperatures are marginal, for example Nov. 2012 and today.

The NS of Suffolk does well with the mid winter all-snow storms, for example Feb. 2013.

Hi...I remember when you first posted over at Eastern...during 2008-09...and you had I believe 42 inches of snow that winter...your obs are very helpul & important so the distinctions in climate across the county are recognized...such as the WSW that was issued for N. Nassau but not S. Nassau today...

Just got back from there. Temperature is just above freezing. Got a sneaker full of slush when I tried entering the trail. I'd get there real early tomorrow to avoid the puddles.  Enjoy.

There's a section of the trail, north of the train tracks and south of the soccer field entrance that was destroyed by the hurricane. Big trees down everywhere.

Yes I do remember when the fields were a sod farm. I grew up in LH just north of Stillwell. 

post-290-0-88594200-1362789391_thumb.jpg

Glad you posted that...seems to match up with my memories...'cept for maybe Feb '79...thought that was thirteen in the city and less east...was there another snow event that very, very cold month that eludes me?

Yes there was.  As a civil war vet, you are entitled to a little memory loss.  I hope this formats well enough: 

February 1979 (Syosset)

Day     snowfall

1       0.1

2       0.0

3       0.0

4       0.0

5       0.0

6       0.0

7       6.3

8       T

9       0.0

10      0.0

11      0.0  

12      1.5

13      T

14      0.0

15      1.0

16      0.2

17      0.0

18      0.0

19      10.1

20      0.0

21      0.0

22      0.0

23      0.0

24      0.0

25      0.0

26      0.0

27      1.0

28      0.0

29      n/a

30      n/a

31      n/a

Total       20.2

Max Daily   10.1

Guest Pamela

Yes there was.  As a civil war vet, you are entitled to a little memory loss.  I hope this formats well enough: 

February 1979 (Syosset)

Day     snowfall

1       0.1

2       0.0

3       0.0

4       0.0

5       0.0

6       0.0

7       6.3

8       T

9       0.0

10      0.0

11      0.0  

12      1.5

13      T

14      0.0

15      1.0

16      0.2

17      0.0

18      0.0

19      10.1

20      0.0

21      0.0

22      0.0

23      0.0

24      0.0

25      0.0

26      0.0

27      1.0

28      0.0

29      n/a

30      n/a

31      n/a

Total       20.2

Max Daily   10.1

The image of that one on the 7th appears to be fading...notice how *no one* talks about in anymore?

BTW...I was in all three & loyal to Cromwell in each.

The roads were horrendous this morning. Some of the worst road conditions I've ever seen around here. I witnessed  5 spinouts on the Garden State Parkway in northern Bergen, and lost all braking ability  a few times going down hilly local roads in the Nanuet area. I was really lucky  compared to a few of those who completely wrecked their cars going down those same hills. This storm really caught  plows and commuters alike off-guard.

Hi...I remember when you first posted over at Eastern...during 2008-09...and you had I believe 42 inches of snow that winter...your obs are very helpul & important so the distinctions in climate across the county are recognized...such as the WSW that was issued for N. Nassau but not S. Nassau today...

William, I'm at +40 again this year.

41.8"

You're in the mid-forties?

Archived