• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

Not recently that I am aware of, but here are snowfall records for Syosset from 1974 - 1985:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SyossetSnowfall1974-1985.pdf

PS I'm glad you asked.  I don't know why I haven't thought to add them to that page until now.( http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateStatistics.asp ).

Thanks for the info.

Always wondered what 77-78 was like around here. Do you know what the totals were for the two major storms? I was in Oswego at that time. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

William, I'm at +40 again this year.

41.8"

You're in the mid-forties?

Many people tell me that...play Glenn Miller Band CD's whenever I go for a drive.

As for 2012-13...45.5" as of sunset today. 

Total here last night and this morning was 5.9".  Two day total was 6.9".  Seasonal total is 43.4"

Lots of gory detail here:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SmithtownDailySnowfall.pdf

You've done really well this winter...I'm at 46.25" seasonal total. Amazing to think some parts of southern CT have near 70"..

Thanks for the info.

Always wondered what 77-78 was like around here. Do you know what the totals were for the two major storms? I was in Oswego at that time. 

The snowfalls that winter of 6" or more were:

1/19-20  17"

2/6-7      24"

3/3           6.6"

3/16-17    6.4"

I'll get the details online one of these days.

Some pretty intense melting going on. Reminds me of how fast the snow melted this past November and October 2011. Probably more than half of the 8" that fell is gone here.

my temperature is still in the upper 30's...I guess it won't make it down to freezing tomorrow morning...

Just given how intensely the snow was coming down in Midtown, I'm quite surprised they didn't hit 5" and I thought they had a shot at 6". They were snow/heavy snow for 4 straight hours. 11:15 was about when it shut off so I guess that's when the zookeeper measured.

There's a park right next to me in midtown (Hells Kitchen). I went and measured on a bench seat around 11:30, it was 5.3''. I wiped it off, went back at 1 and got another .9''. I'd say overall Manhattan got well over 5'' area-wide.

There's a park right next to me in midtown (Hells Kitchen). I went and measured on a bench seat around 11:30, it was 5.3''. I wiped it off, went back at 1 and got another .9''. I'd say overall Manhattan got well over 5'' area-wide.
Here in Long Beach it's pretty much as if it never snowed. Just some piles left that's it. SW Nassau Snow hole lives on. :(

measured a total of 3.3" over here for 3/7 and 3/8 just a little sad we didn't get into those bands that hit the north shore and parts of Nassau... much of what we got has melted off too--probably down to about a half inch...

total for the season is 34.1" :snowing:

here are a couple of pics from this morning:

DSC06352.jpg

DSC06354.jpg

:pepsi:

Whadda day yesterday. That was the little band that could... over Essex county ! Just pounded!

Any reports of official totals?

I'm going with 10 for Bloomfield for max depth before it compacted and melted later in the day

Indeed.

I got 7" on the nose.

The strengthening March sun has boosted temperatures into the 50s and is now transforming much of what had been a wintry landscape yesterday into one that is becoming more springlike. Almost all of the 9.5" snow that had been reported is fast melting, sending small streams of water down the gutters and creating growing ponds along the sidewalks.

Yesterday:

Larchmont03082013-5b_zpscc8066db.jpg

Larchmont03083013-7b_zps4f9be0e5.jpg

Today:

Larchmont03092013-2b_zpsfdf03e1a.jpg

Larchmont03093013-6b_zpsa94ede51.jpg

Larchmont03093013-7b_zpsd0e2e1bb.jpg

Larchmont03092013-1b_zps10b23846.jpg

In fact, looking out my window now, all of the neighboring yards are snow covered. I wonder if there really was a gradient from Rockville Centre to Long Beach. 

Yup, really. :(

I got back to LB last night and it was pretty depressing. I guess Ace was right, must have been a min south of Merrick Road or something.

Whatever-today was gorgeous and hopefully we have many more days like it. Played some ultimate frisbee on the beach and it was great.

Yup, really. :(

I got back to LB last night and it was pretty depressing. I guess Ace was right, must have been a min south of Merrick Road or something.

Whatever-today was gorgeous and hopefully we have many more days like it. Played some ultimate frisbee on the beach and it was great.

Yeah, it showed up clearly on the Saturday MODIS pass.

Guest Pamela

What a truly amazing photo depicting the area that had the misfortune of being in s*rew zone...one question...in all these photos after storms, The North Fork of Long Island always looks much whiter than anywhere else...is that due to a lack of forests out there or what?

Archived