Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362765771.293920.jpg

Here's an image to prove that it is without a doubt 8 inches here ! Incredible....can't believe I almost jackpotted for our area !

Your in Belleville? I'm up in Bloomfield. Yea... we jackpotted ! Lol I'm gonna say 10 " here

yep!! You know....I measured 6" on ground, a solid 8" on car tops with no drifting or anything to mess it up...so 8 it is...but factoring in compaction and all, who knows....could be closer to 10 even. Still snowing

gotcha. So youre not saying 2-2.5 total but thats whats on the ground. You probably received 3-4 but with compaction, warming temps you are where you are now.

put it this way - i see GREEN GRASS in my backyard...i have LESS than 2" on the ground now....i wish A-L-E-X was still around to verify

EDIT - I will say that Lawrence-Woodmere Academy, which my house faces has no green spots on their soccer field.

This is the biggest bust I can remember (positive at least). Jan 2000 comes in 2nd

I would rate January 2000 higher than this since no snow was forecast around a day or so ahead of time.

This was more of an overperformer like the November storm turned out to be. My top upside busts 

here were 1-22-87 and 1-20-78 when mostly rain was expected.

and it bothers me that my area is the boards snowhole

well if it makes you feel any better I was walking in the park around 90th to 100th streets and there was copious amounts of snow maybe 5inches or more. By the time I was back by my apt on lex and 86th there was literally 0 on the streets its a snowhole bc of the subway underneath

Snow has slowed here. Looks like we are done accumulating, might get some more light stuff, but time to call it a storm as far as accumulation goes.

Time to do a little math and guesstimating to get a storm total for here. I'm going to use the grass, paved areas are 2" less or so. At 10 AM, we had 8" OTG. At 1 PM, we were down to 7", however, it's been light, steady snow. It's also been melting steadily. The .3" we had in the morning yesterday melted in 30 minutes or so, temps are similar now, so lets say melting is .6 per hour. 3 hours of melting at .6 per hour is 1.8. since the snowpack only decreased 1", we had .8" new in those 3 hours. we also have to account for settling and compaction overnight, I'll add an inch for that and for the .3 from yesterday. So, we have 8"+1"+.8"=9.8" rounding up to 10" because I think compaction might be a bit more than .7" So, storm total 10" unless anyone can prove otherwise :)

You've got to love math and guesstimating...

This was a great storm, what was not great was how Upton handled it. They usually are great, but not so for this, they busted way too low, and then issued a WSW really after the worst of it was over here. Not sure how they think it's going to accumulate 3-5" today, it isn't accumulating much now, let alone at 6 PM.

Overall a great positive bust, really a nice way to send winter out in style!

-skisheep

I would rate January 2000 higher than this since no snow was forecast around a day or so ahead of time.

This was more of an overperformer like the November storm turned out to be. My top upside busts 

here were 1-22-87 and 1-20-78 when mostly rain was expected.

I was not born for either 87 or 78 (born  may 87). But overperformer was the right word, not bust. Bust was 2000 you're right. Nov 7th (which I missed while on vacation in san diego) and this were both overperfomers for sure. Along with Jan 2011, and Feb 2010 most recently. And I guess maybe oct 2011 but didn't see much at my location in the city

and it bothers me that my area is the boards snowhole

The SW Nassau screwzone bothers me too, but what can you do other than move? We also had a much, much better season than everyone just about who's south or west of us. Pseudo-Nina winters very rarely favor us and we were able to find a few needles in the haystack. With this, we're at 25-30" or so for the season (if I assume 5" fell in Long Beach, that puts me right around 27-28"-about 4" or so from the various clippers in late Jan, 12" with the 2/8 blizzard, 5" now, 6" in November) which is at or just above our average here. This was a SNE winter, nothing you can do to change it.

Snow has slowed here. Looks like we are done accumulating, might get some more light stuff, but time to call it a storm as far as accumulation goes.

Time to do a little math and guesstimating to get a storm total for here. I'm going to use the grass, paved areas are 2" less or so. At 10 AM, we had 8" OTG. At 1 PM, we were down to 7", however, it's been light, steady snow. It's also been melting steadily. The .3" we had in the morning yesterday melted in 30 minutes or so, temps are similar now, so lets say melting is .6 per hour. 3 hours of melting at .6 per hour is 1.8. since the snowpack only decreased 1", we had .8" new in those 3 hours. we also have to account for settling and compaction overnight, I'll add an inch for that and for the .3 from yesterday. So, we have 8"+1"+.8"=9.8" rounding up to 10" because I think compaction might be a bit more than .7" So, storm total 10" unless anyone can prove otherwise :)

This was a great storm, what was not great was how Upton handled it. They usually are great, but not so for this, they busted way too low, and then issued a WSW really after the worst of it was over here. Not sure how they think it's going to accumulate 3-5" today, it isn't accumulating much now, let alone at 6 PM.

-skisheep

Yea, I'll confirm 10 here. Easily

-skisheep

Dude...Thats not how it works lol. I'll take your 8.3" measurement from earlier this morning and call it a day. Great storm.

put it this way - i see GREEN GRASS in my backyard...i have LESS than 2" on the ground now....i wish A-L-E-X was still around to verify

EDIT - I will say that Lawrence-Woodmere Academy, which my house faces has no green spots on their soccer field.

I work in Hewlett near mill road I can back you up when I got into my car to drive back to Brooklyn I'd say we didn't have more than 2 inches . As I drove west and back to bensonhurst Brooklyn snow picked up in intensity. We got close to 5 inches by now counting the compacting.

Archived