• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

Coming down like crazy in Midtown, sidewalks are even slushing up again in the scorchiest of the heat island around Grand Central. Two of my coworkers who are from Texas are flipping out about the snow.

Latest RAP has snow persisting until after 1pm. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see a number of 6"+ reports in the five boroughs and a couple of 12" reports in parts of Nassau/Suffolk that have been hammered so far.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has definitely been one of the better over performing winter weather events I can remember.

You could say that again. The epic bust of some of the meso models in the short term really left a sour taste in our mouths. With wet streets and light precip I legitimately expected a coating at best in manhattan when I went to bed. Couldn't have been more surprised. It's like being a little kid again and getting a surprise snow day (jan 25 2000 comes to mind!)

Take a drive into Cranford and Roselle Pk. They might have 2" on the grass there. But gradients like this are pretty typical for Union Co.

This is to be expected. Taking the train home from the city at midnight last night, had nothing sticking in newark, and already half an inch on non-paved surfaces in westfield.

Precip will probably continue until 1-2pm but accumulating snow will end by 1130-12 is my guess...from SW to NE

There seems no mechinism to get it out of here ,it just spirals and spirals but there is no ending line from sw or ne to end..yet.

This can go into tonight.

Thos mean looking echos from CT and Mass seem to making a run sw to LI and NYC/NJ

There seems no mechinism to get it out of here ,it just spirals and spirals but there is no ending line from sw or ne to end..yet.

This can go into tonight.

I don't know about that, but I woudl agree that studying the radar really makes me wonder exactly HOW right the NAM may have been leading up to this.  9" with another heavy band coming our way!

Guest Pamela

4.5" as of 8:30AM.

I just noticed the pink WSW colors for northern Nassau on the warnings map on the OKX home  page.  I haven't seen an actual warning yet...but it looks like they may issue that momentarily.

That was almost 90 minutes ago Ed...any more since?  As for the WSW for N. Nassau, a little late, no?

How long can it snow?, radar seems like there is no end in sight, can this go to 3pm?

radar looks like it did 12 hours ago

It won't end from west to east....it will dry up. RAP shows the drying up and hole developing in SE NY and spreading down into NJ/NYC then gradually east. What a nice surprise this storm has been though. I might have 3.5" or so :)

Yes.. the radar just keeps back building with banding. If the temps stay good through the day.. ohhh boy

If it stays near this intensity, it will accumulate regardless of the time of day. April 2003's storm was like this, a month later than now and temps marginal like now, and it it stuck easy even at noon.

Eventually this will start pivoting south and then out, but models seem to keep hitting esp. the city east until after 1pm with at least decent enough snow to accumulate. Eastern Suffolk has kinda been in a sucker hole so far, that should fill in soon hopefully.

Archived